Close call yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefs584ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was out cutting up a blowdown yesterday as we are now starting to cool down a bit in IA. As I was cutting limbs off of the blowdown, I had a brainfart moment where I was not 100 percent focused on the task at hand. Laid the saw against my thigh and felt the uncomfortable tickle of the chain against my thigh. Did not get cut, but scared the hell out of me. New chaps will be ordered on Monday. Damn, that was close.

Chain break when moving around in brush piles. Awareness is a lot better prevention than hoping chaps will save you from being cut. I cut myself on a chain on the leg when I was trimming somewhere I should have been using a pole saw.

Normally use the chain break all the time, hence not 100 percent focused.. When your mind is other places, it is best to not even start the saw.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Normally use the chain break all the time, hence not 100 percent focused.. When your mind is other places, it is best to not even start the saw.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

I call it gettin the stoopidz. The least bit over tired or non focused, I slap stop right then, shut saw off, go take a break or go home.

There ain't no tree or no paycheck worth getting hurt over.

I did the same GD thing today! Cutting brush and small trees with the 026, finished a cut, saw idled down, moved saw down to look at my next cut and chain rested on my left thigh. Small tear in the jeans, I about #&^% myself!!! First thing I said to my wife is I am going out and buying chaps this week.

On a similar note, a few years back I was cutting a tree at a car accident to extricate the driver. Finished the cut, put chain brake on, rested the saw on the gaurdrail and without even realizing it put my hand down right on the GD chain. That scared the living crap out of me, had my gloves on and engaged the brake, BUT, what if???

Last edited:
It scares me when I get used to the chain brake and then pull out one of my older saw that only has a hand protector or nothing at all. We need to rely on our own safety knowledge and then hope that machinery improvements make up for our mistakes.

Just like a gun, treat as if always loaded!

Safety on-break on, always pointed in a safe direction- bar away from what is not to be cut.

Sounds simple, but simple tasks may be overwhelming when bonking which is a real dilemma due to lack of oxygen or blood to the brain from over exercitation, heat, dehydration or hangover.:taped:

Glad you weren't hurt.

I've got the t-shirt. One scar on the right knee, two on the left knee, and one real ugly one on the left thigh... those saw cuts bleed like hell, and hurt even worse the next day. My last close call happened this spring. First, I don't carry a billfold in my rear pocket, I carry a metal reinforce leather money clip in my left front pocket that has one small pocket for a drivers licence and a couple cards. I got tired, lost concentration, and lowered the saw a bit too far, too fast, after a cut; it hit me right in the money clip as I released the throttle. Tore the jeans and pocket wide open, ripped the metal from the clip, shredded about 80 bucks, and cut through the drivers license, credit card and debit card before stopping in the leather on the far side. Not a single scratch on my leg... but I had to buy a new money clip and a pair of jeans. Just amazing how all that damage can happen in less that half-a-second.

Was out cutting up a blowdown yesterday as we are now starting to cool down a bit in IA. As I was cutting limbs off of the blowdown, I had a brainfart moment where I was not 100 percent focused on the task at hand. Laid the saw against my thigh and felt the uncomfortable tickle of the chain against my thigh. Did not get cut, but scared the hell out of me. New chaps will be ordered on Monday. Damn, that was close.

Glad you're ok, friend. We've all been there. From here on in, please consider chaps all the time, because no one can guantee 100% focus all the time. Not trying to be a boss man, just figure your family and friends like having you in one piece.

Latest posts

Back