Collecting chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what has turned many off to semi-chisel is they associate it with the little lo-kick chains that came on their 45-50cc saw.I run Stihl RM .I have hit nails with my saws and one tooth will cut the nail and the other cutters not be affected.Also many folks new to saws or filing will find the RM a bit more forgiving.

Marlin offers all those calibers in 1894, 336, and 1895 models. 357/38 spl too.

Henry has all those except 35 Rem, 100% USA made

Winchester has a slew of lever guns. Lots of old calibers, 45-70 45-90...........1895 in 30-06 and 405 Win........ Don't seem to be USA production? Portugal, FN in Belgium , Turkey, and Japan.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/where-are-winchester-firearms-manufactured.html

I think you'd be able to use 45 colt in that too?

I’m looking at cheaper saws to port now since the prices on some of the more expensive used saws is going crazy, the shipping has gone up. Even look for the cloned saws like the macs under another label, same saw but cheaper. Port it,
It’s stupid out here also how the asking prices have gotten. People aren’t buying them but a good 10-10 has gone from $50 asking to $150. So, to keep me busy I started portion the macs I have instead of buying a used one. It’s crazy what opening up the exhaust and adding some timing will do for a 10-10. It’s still makes me giggle when I run them

but yes, prices are ridiculous and eBay isn’t even an option anymore because of it

I’m thinking maybe some new blood will post too I like to see non posters chime in. So many just readers. Come on register and join the fun, help out with your experiences too where all not perfect.
I did 🤣 got a Remington PL4 in the mail today!!! New blood as in someone in his early 40's??? Hahaha

I like the Remington saws the old bantam and Super 754s are real beautifully designed. I mostly have older Stihls and McCulloch, but don't I discriminate.
The great thing about collecting and building chainsaws is the nuances of each manufacturer, I really don't see one as better than others just different.
I like the clone saws being in the market lately, they're kinda like the old popular mechanic ads in the back of a magazine from the 70s where you could build your own dune buggy or solar powered generator!
The 088 Stihl and ProMac 700 are my 2 favorite.

I like the clone saws being in the market lately, they're kinda like the old popular mechanic ads in the back of a magazine from the 70s where you could build your own dune buggy or solar powered generator!

That was a scam. I know.... I'm still waiting on my "Money Bank Guarantee".

main-qimg-07d84c5de28893d151b81e8160c29e76-lq

I have almost every brand under the sun with the exception of some overseas saws. With just over
600 saws in my collection and mostly over 100cc's with some odd and unique saws including a few
two-man saws. Still looking for a few needed saws.
that's impressive! how do you store them?

I thought I had an issue owning 20 saws, 021, 025, mac 250s, mac650, rancher 50 orange, 50 black, 61 white, 441c, 390xpg, pioneer 650, to name but a few.

all get used throughout the year, along with the more modern saws i have

I have almost every brand under the sun with the exception of some overseas saws. With just over
600 saws in my collection and mostly over 100cc's with some odd and unique saws including a few
two-man saws. Still looking for a few needed saws.
LOL!!!....Lee, you have the most extensive and orderly collection of saws I have ever seen!!! Mind boggling that there are actually some saws you don't have already!!!! :cheers:

Yea im starting to aquire saws while I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes. Trying to switch addictions. Figure I burn up 150$ a month on marlboros.
At that rate, you could buy a new saw at least every year!

I don't collect them. I tend to use them until they wear out or need major repair. I have owned a Remington (forgot the model number, but it would not run in warm weather due to vaporlock), an Echo small saw (real POS), a Stihl 038 Super (bar oil pump failed, so I gave it away to my brother in law, who has replaced the bar oil pump several times, but the saw still runs), a Stihl MS441C (loved that saw, but I got some sawdust in the engine while changing the spark plug, and it wrecked it, so I sold it for parts) and my current saw, the Stihl MS500i. Love that one! Light and powerful. I have used various models of McCulloch and Jonsereds. I did not like them at all. No torque at the bottom end, so they fail in larger wood. The 500i has a broad torque band, so it screams through the wood at high rpm but will build torque when going full bar into seasoned hardwood. I cut through 12" white oak that has been down for 4 years in less than 5 seconds, and through 18" red oak also down for 4 years in about 10 seconds. And the light weight of the saw makes for low fatigue in use. Some say it uses a lot of fuel, but it has a smaller tank than some of its competition, which may skew the observation. For my part, I would say I actually get more wood cut per gallon of fuel with it than with the other saws I have owned. I just have to refuel more frequently. I get about 1/3 to 1/2 cord cut per tank. The tank lets the saw run for about 35 minutes working pretty steadily. My MS441C ran for 45 minutes per tank, but did not cut as fast. I have tried several chains over the years, but now I use Stihl RS only. I find its cutting speed is so much greater than other chains that I still come out ahead having to sharpen it more frequently. It only takes me 3-5 minutes to sharpen it with the Pferd hand sharpening system (also marketed by Stihl for a higher price. I guess orange plastic costs more than blue!)

Yeah i have issues..

Homelite
XL
360 Pro

McCullough
TimberBear

Poulan
3400 Bow
3900 Timbermaster
Wild Thing

Echo
CS-520

Husqvarna
55 Rancher
272XP

Remington
46cc Outlaw 58cc BigBore

Stihl
026 Pro
028 super AV Wood Boss
MS260
MS280
031av
036 Pro
MS391
MS440 magnum
MS460 Magnum
MS461

Holzfforma
G372xp
G660 (ported)

Probably forgot one in there somewhere

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yeah i have issues..

Homelite
XL
360 Pro

McCullough
TimberBear

Poulan
3400 Bow
3900 Timbermaster
Wild Thing

Echo
CS-520

Husqvarna
55 Rancher
272XP

Remington
46cc Outlaw 58cc BigBore

Stihl
026 Pro
028 super AV Wood Boss
MS260
MS280
031av
036 Pro
MS391
MS440 magnum
MS460 Magnum
MS461

Holzfforma
G372xp
G660 (ported)

Probably forgot one in there somewhere

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Good lord ! I didn't realize that you were so McCulloch deficient, you need a 10-10A in there.

I don't collect them. I tend to use them until they wear out or need major repair. I have owned a Remington (forgot the model number, but it would not run in warm weather due to vaporlock), an Echo small saw (real POS), a Stihl 038 Super (bar oil pump failed, so I gave it away to my brother in law, who has replaced the bar oil pump several times, but the saw still runs), a Stihl MS441C (loved that saw, but I got some sawdust in the engine while changing the spark plug, and it wrecked it, so I sold it for parts) and my current saw, the Stihl MS500i. Love that one! Light and powerful. I have used various models of McCulloch and Jonsereds. I did not like them at all. No torque at the bottom end, so they fail in larger wood. The 500i has a broad torque band, so it screams through the wood at high rpm but will build torque when going full bar into seasoned hardwood. I cut through 12" white oak that has been down for 4 years in less than 5 seconds, and through 18" red oak also down for 4 years in about 10 seconds. And the light weight of the saw makes for low fatigue in use. Some say it uses a lot of fuel, but it has a smaller tank than some of its competition, which may skew the observation. For my part, I would say I actually get more wood cut per gallon of fuel with it than with the other saws I have owned. I just have to refuel more frequently. I get about 1/3 to 1/2 cord cut per tank. The tank lets the saw run for about 35 minutes working pretty steadily. My MS441C ran for 45 minutes per tank, but did not cut as fast. I have tried several chains over the years, but now I use Stihl RS only. I find its cutting speed is so much greater than other chains that I still come out ahead having to sharpen it more frequently. It only takes me 3-5 minutes to sharpen it with the Pferd hand sharpening system (also marketed by Stihl for a higher price. I guess orange plastic costs more than blue!)
Yeah collectors dont give away repairable saws, so I wouldn't consider you one.
Ive given away plenty of runners to the saw needy but never a broken one.

Latest posts

Back