Considerations as I head to the dealer and online

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Spent the day and the evening reading the threads here, lots of great and relevant information.

Sadly, I can't find someone in my specific category, so I thought I would ask for things to consider as I travel to the dealers and online over the next few days.

Just purchased ~ 9acres of lovely SD land, complete with mature shelter belt.

And, by mature, I mean, it's been unkept for ~40 years. It's such a mess, it'll take months to clean it up. 12-24" trees fallen in the middle, some struggling to survive with wind damage, etc. Property was rental since 1979, which explains the state of the tree belt.

Enter new property owner. I'm not a total newb around a saw, but I do not yet own one. This job is not going to get done without one.

I'm not sure I ever seriously considered them, but I did troll the box stores for a saw. All of them look so flimsy, names I've never heard, etc.

I would not classify my tool usage as abusive, but I am hard on stuff. I tend to buy pro line stuff, because they hold up better for me. Money is always a consideration, but secondary. My main concerns are:

• Size: Initially, I need something to handle this huge workload. But, afterwards, it'll just be typical homeowner use.
  • Weight: I need to limb quite a bit initially, and would prefer a lighter unit. But, I don't want to go so light that I am skimping on quality.
  • Forgiving nature. My other pro tools tend to forgive my missteps a bit. My main concern is my lack of ownership. I know I will forget something with this unit, given my lack of previous ownership. A unit that is a bit forgiving (within reason) would be a plus.
  • Easy to start and run. The bulk of my saw experience has been years ago with my father's "saved from the junk heap" saws. They ran, and they did the job, but they were near impossible to start (he was/is a mechanic, so I don't think it was due to bad setup.) Regardless, I have no desire to pull all morning with various choke settings just to start the work.
  • Repairable: I tend to run stuff that has lots of spare parts online. Since I'm hard on stuff, it breaks, and I accept that. Easier to repair units get higher marks from me.
  • 1 versus 2: Maybe it's impossible to find an all around performer, and I should consider two saws for the different uses.
  • Safety: Obviously, a chain saw is an aggressive tool, and caution is the order of the day, but additional safety features are f interest to me. Or, just normal features applied with safety in mind (balance, civil throttle, etc.)

I don't want this to be a "which 50cc saw should I buy?", because I already found that FAQ: 5100 (5105), 260 Pro (261), 346XP

Still tracking down a Husky dealer around here, but there's a full line Stihl and Dolmar one in town. The 346 tipping over when idling bothers me a bit, because I'll no doubt be sitting it down a bunch for the next few months, though I hear it's lighter than the 260/261.

Since this is my first saw, and because I often do with investment purchases, a little voice is telling me I should buy an older used model.

My main concern is right-sizing the unit. I'd prefer to invest in one good saw, but I need something light enough to use in the air yet strong enough to buck.

Any general thoughts (or a link to the correct thread, I searched the site via Google and used the internal search, and did not find a thread as yet would be appreciated.

My apologies if I've imposed. I'd rather ask here than at the dealer(s).

Jim

Anyone of those 3 saws will work fine for you. I would be looking for the best dealer in the area. You said you already have a Stihl, Dolmar dealer. Ask around,how is their service,prices and so on. The 5100 will be the most cost effective of the 3. But the Husky can be bought with in 50 to 100 dollars of it.I believe the Stihl is a little more money.
What a lot of people fail to remember is that a lot of us years ago were in the same boat as you. Our choices were not as good as yours. Saws 30 to 40 years ago were a lot heavier and a lot slower. Guess what they worked fine and did the job.I would go with the best dealer and buy the brand he sells. You will do great with any of the 3.

Saw Help

Welcome to the CAD Club. The one saw plan will not last long:laugh: The MS 260 with a 20" bar would be a good start lots of used and new parts available. The next size saw to look at is a 70cc Bucking and falling saw, the 044 Stihls are nice when paired with a 28" bar and full skip, woops here I go spreading CAD again :laugh:

:popcorn::givebeer:

Not to be a smart ass, but which 70cc saw do you figure would work best for ya?

Reason I'm asking is, from what you describe you'll be looking for more saw pretty soon after the 50cc class saw, and you WILL be needing both.

When done with the heavy work, the 70cc saw can be sold off.

If the nearest dealer you trust is a Stihl/Dolly dealer, the 260/460 or 260/7900 combo should be right where ya want to be.
No point in driving all over the planet even if the Husky offerings might be a smidge lighter/faster/ubersexycool or whatever.
Just no overwhelming advantage that would override the good dealer closer. As a newbie, you'll need the good local dealer more than a slightly faster saw.

Are you going to burn wood for heat?
If not, I gurantee there are woodticks in the area that would be glad to help you clear out the tangles for the free wood.;)

Just my .02 FWIW.
Good luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Welcome Jim

A used saw is certainly a viable option. That said I would call a few dealers and see what they have for used. Private sales are OK but you need to know what you're looking for and at to avoid buying someone's "problem child".

As to dealers, find one that sells to and or supplies loggers and tree services as a chunk of their business. This is the best indicator they know saws and don't just carry them to supplement their lawn mower and weed wacker core business.

As to a recommendation, based on your post, skip the 50 cc saw for now. Grab a Dolmar PS7900 with a 20 inch bar. Incredible machine. Power to do just about any job and light enough to use for limbing and extended periods of time. In the event or should I say when, a second saw is needed any decent 50 cc class saw will work. You can use the 7900 to cut small, but you can't get a 50 cc saw to cut big.

Take Care

I'm thinkin in the lines of 60ccs, Stihl 362, Husky 359, Dolmar 6400. If only one saw I'd want atleast 60cc. Like the others have said, find the best dealer they all are quality saws.

Skip the big box stores and find a good local saw shop, for pro saws.

Husky, Sthl, Dolmar, you can't really go wrong.

Stihl MS 362 with 20" bar & 3 or 4 RSC chains. Make sure you have all the ppe and grab a bar scabbard to protect the b&c. Keep a good sharp chain on at all times and take your time when using the saw.

9acres of lovely SD land, complete with mature shelter belt....
it's been unkept for ~40 years....
12-24" trees fallen in the middle, some struggling to survive with wind damage, etc....
Initially, I need something to handle this huge workload. But, afterwards, it'll just be typical homeowner use.
[*]Weight: I need to limb quite a bit initially, and would prefer a lighter unit. But, I don't want to go so light that I am skimping on quality....
I don't want this to be a "which 50cc saw should I buy?", because I already found that FAQ: 5100 (5105), 260 Pro (261), 346XP...
My main concern is right-sizing the unit. I'd prefer to invest in one good saw, but I need something light enough to use in the air yet strong enough to buck....
My apologies if I've imposed. I'd rather ask here than at the dealer(s).

Jim

Jim, do you have any idea of how often/what percentage you'll be cutting 24" trees compared to 12" trees? You might find the initial clean-up a lot easier and faster with a larger saw.

As someone else mentioned, you could start with a 70cc saw to take care of the larger wood, later sell it, and then get & keep a 50cc as your general purpose saw.

Of course starting with a smaller saw might be best, depending on how you're going to approach the clean-up.

Last edited:
For whatever its worth, I think you need a 2 saw plan. Get yourself a 50cc saw to keep as your long term saw. I'm partial to Husky myself so I vote 346XP for your permanent saw, but there is zero reason not to get a Stihl MS261 for this purpose either. These saws will give you light weight, long life and plenty of power to drop the occasional tree, limb it and cut it up at whatever pace you want to.

For the initial load of work you've got ahead of you though, a 50cc saw isn't going to cut it (hehe)...or at least you won't be happy with it. Get yourself into a 70cc class saw for this purpose. Husky 372XP, Stihl MS361/362...that range of saw. They'll pull a big bar all day long and you'll be dropping and bucking those 24" trunks faster than you can imagine...and it won't kill your nice new 50cc saw.

When you're all done with the big load of work, put the big saw away and just use the smaller saw...so long as it meets all your needs, put the big saw up for sale. If you take good care of it you'll be pleaseantly surprised at how much of its value it holds.

For the 50cc saw, buy a new one from a dealer. You'll be glad you got the nice full warranty and dealer support. For the big saw, if you cna find a decent used one for sale locally for $400-500, grab it and go to town. Even after you clean up everything you'll probably find that if you kept it in good condition that you cna probably sell it for close to what you paid.

You can do what you want with a 50cc saw, but you're not going to like it and you're probably going to wind up buying another 50cc saw when you're done with it. Best to get the right tool for the job up front wiht a second saw, do the heavy lifting and then move to the smaller saw.

Just my opinion. If money is a factor, get the big saw now and pick up a 50cc saw when you're all done.

Last edited:
Skip the big box stores and find a good local saw shop, for pro saws.

Husky, Sthl, Dolmar, you can't really go wrong.

I have to agree with sunfish any of these will do the job for you. I have a 359 Husky with a 24" bar and it'll do most of what you have mentioned. Good solid 59 cc saw and we have had no prolem with ours and it's had the crap run out of it.

I run Stihls and LP runs the Huskies now but as mentioned a good 044 Stihl is hard to beat they will do it all big or little. With a reduced weight 28" bar it's well balanced and it's simple to work on for you or the dealer. A good 044 can usually be had for around $400 and they'll live a long time if you treat um right.

Not much on the Dolmars but guys that run that 7900 think a lot of um and not to pricey.
Good luck.
Joe

Nice looking Husky 385XP in the classifieds section right now for $400. Pick it up, get your logging done and then buy a smaller saw.

5105/7900 I'm partial to Dolmar, and since you have a dealer handy that would be my recomendation. I have the same setup and couldn't be happier.

Depends on your budget and tolerance for having to grunt through bigger timber. You know your cutting situation best. The saws you've identified are all first rate, but you may find yourself wanting bigger or whatever.

If you're cost conscious, keep your eyes open for a good Husky 266 and use an 18" bar on the limbs and a 24" for the bigger stuff. Plenty durable, easy to wrench, parts are easy and cheap to get.

Considerations
You could rent a saw and give what you want to do a try. Rentals are available at Home Despot or possibly a local rental shop. Land clearing is tough work especially without the aid of hydraulics and manpower. You might find that your money is better spent hiring out a company to get your land under control than investing in a high power pro saw. I would, at minimum, talk to a forester to decide on what needs to go and what should be saved.

You don't need 5 million saws. Are you in decent shape? I have a friend who is cleaning up 120 acres--when I feel like needing a workout, I head there. I have 5 acres of brush and bastard growth to work on.

We are girls--of the grandmother age and she runs a 360 Stihl with a 28 inch bar, and I like my 440 with a 28 inch bar. We both can do overhead cutting when we have to. We have Stihls, which were bought new, from a very good and reliable dealer. For me, that latter part is the most important consideration because I'm not mechanically inclined, and there is nothing that ticks me off like a saw that will not start and run well.

There is no finish to having property with woods on it. Trees keep dying, wind comes up, there's always something.

We are lucky to live in an area where we can still burn. To get rid of the slash, we pile it by hand, in as open an area we can find, and burn it. Keep the piles small and you won't need a big open area to burn.

A midsize saw does not mean you can't use it to prune the blackberries. It means you can also slice up the peeler logs too.:)

View attachment 185071View attachment 185072

Latest posts

Back