Considerations as I head to the dealer and online

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with that 5105, I have a new to me 5100. Run the H jet in until it screams like a banshee, then back it out until it drops about 200 rpm. It's an art form for sure, but most people can't seem to tell the difference between bouncing off the rev limiter and four stroking.
You can fine tune it in the cut if you feel the need, but so far that's about as good as gold as I've found. Damn impressive machine! I'm giving serious consideration to putting a 22" bar on mine now that I've ported it and removed the base gasket. Don't do this yet by the way, more power will come to you as you go!
Enjoy, have some fun and be safe while you cut the heck out of some wood!

awesome!!

In seven forum pages you have gone from musing about one does-it-all saw to buying two of the best available bar none and are already playing with the idea of two more. You got the CAD!

Congrats, Adam

awesome!!

In seven forum pages you have gone from musing about one does-it-all saw to buying two of the best available bar none and are already playing with the idea of two more. You got the CAD!

Congrats, Adam

I realize most buyers don't do this amount of research (ooh, honey, we're in the chainsaw aisle at Home Depot, let's pick one up along with a candy bar at the checkout), but it seems a waste to regret a decision when just a bit of prep time is needed. Years ago, pre-Internet, you'd have to canvas all of your friends (who may not know much about your request) for days or weeks, but now you can get quality answers in a matter of hours. What's more, every forum I've visited with questions comes alive with helpful responses from people who really know about the subject. And, as someone who is active on forums myself as a subject matter expert, I always enjoy sharing the information I've learned over the years. In fact, it bothers me when people don't at least ask and then come on the forum lamenting their choice, as there's little to do at that point.

In much the same way "elmers" guide new ham radio operators and "master craftsman" teach the trade to apprentices, the internet is a great way to pass information from teacher to student.

Of course, it takes two: Someone to sincerely ask, and someone to offer their help. I hope I did my part, and I'm glad others did theirs.

Jim

brain, congrats on the new saws. It sounds like the Dolmar dealer is on top of things and will give you excellent service. That begs the question of why you were shopping the 7300 and not the 7900. When you compare the 7300 to the 372, it only wins in the cost portion. When the 7900 is shopped against the 372, it loses on weight, but wins on power and cost. Regardless, the 372 is a fine, legendary saw. They run very well and will serve you for years.

Look for a Dolmar 401 (or the Makita DCS401) for your small saw. They pop up on Ebay for about $125-150. They are a very nice saw. Too nice, actually, to be a loaner. They only weigh 9lbs.

Don't forget the PPE. Chaps and ear plugs should be mandatory on the shopping list. Helmets are needed in many cutting situations. Chainsaw protective boots give you some much needed protection on the feet (Google chainsaw injury statistics for more information).

Have fun and be safe!!

That begs the question of why you were shopping the 7300 and not the 7900. When you compare the 7300 to the 372, it only wins in the cost portion. When the 7900 is shopped against the 372, it loses on weight, but wins on power and cost.
If someone can handle the 7900's power and weight, I agree you're best to just consider it instead of the 7300. I didn;t feel comfortable going from <insert cheap homeowner saw brand here> to the 7900 in the first jump. Truthfully, the 7300 will take some acclimation, but I was (maybe overly) concerned about using a 60cc saw as my one-size-fits-all saw, mainly handling it for limbing. So, I decided, given my current chainsaw handling prowess, to stop at 70cc and the requisite heft of those saws. That pushed the 7900 out of the running.

As noted, though, the 7300 is extremely competitive, and wins on price. However, I thought diversifying the brands would offer three advantages:
  • Cut down on brand zealotry
  • Provide additional comon ground with other owners
  • Possibly alleviate picking up bad habits because one brand is more forgiving of some action

Obviously, next time around, whatever decade that might be, I'd be less concerned.

Look for a Dolmar 401 (or the Makita DCS401) for your small saw. They pop up on Ebay for about $125-150. They are a very nice saw. Too nice, actually, to be a loaner. They only weigh 9lbs.
I'll do that. The Dolmar dealer started a 460? (not sure of the number at present) while in the shop. After prime and first start, it started on a 4 inch pull of the rope. He did it twice more after seeing my amazement. WHo knows, though, maybe it was a trick saw :)
Don't forget the PPE. Chaps and ear plugs should be mandatory on the shopping list. Helmets are needed in many cutting situations. Chainsaw protective boots give you some much needed protection on the feet
Yes, I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade my PPE lineup. Labonville seems well regarded in these parts, though I might pick up a 600 denier option for Summer use. Checking out the rest of my old equipment to see where some upgrades might be of use.

Not to continue a thread that's reached a conclusion, but the PPE admonition brings up a good story with a moral:

You see, moving to this homestead forced the issue of chainsaw ownership, but it's wasn't a financial concern in the past. No, it was a parental concern. I'll explain.

I'd never admit my Father is less than perfect, of course, but let's just say that throughout my courtship years, Dad had a series of accidents with chainsaws under suspicious circumstances. Let's also further clarify that PPE was and is *NOT* an acronym he practices. Mind you, it is entirely possible the fall from the tree while cutting branches was a freak accident, or the slice to the leg while cutting bushes in the fenceline was truly a once-in-a-million occurrence, but they occurred with a regularity not attributable to mere coincidence and all had a profound effect on the girlfriend (now wife). Thankfully, aside from crushing a few vertabrae (which does not appear to have caused lasting issues), he's fine, but there was an unspoken "ban" on saw ownership in our new household. (Save some typing and skip the "C'mon Jim, man up and put your foot down..." comments. Some of us do weird things during the honeymoon period of marriage. Besides, the evidence - at the time - implied that the chip off the old block would suffer a similar fate with the same tools). Obviously, time has passed, we've concluded that some traits are thankfully *NOT* passed from father to son, and the ban is a long ago memory told at parties and get-togethers as a joke punch line.

Nonetheless, consider doing my younger self and all of the newly marrieds in this world a favor when using your saws :). Or, perhaps just refrain from widely broadcasting the "Who knew the dead tree limb would fall while I was cutting it off...and it nearly cut off my leg" stories. I thank you for your consideration in this matter :)

P.S. They *are* good stories, though, if that's not too morbid to say. My Father's accidents are nothing if not spectacular and make great tales.

Jim

You do understand the 6400/7300/7900 are all the same saw, the displacement notwithstanding.

Buy the highest rated chaps......you might live to tease you Dad if you do.

The 401 is out of production I believe. Don't consider the 460. It is a much different saw. There was a Makita version of the 401 on Ebay last week. It went for $150 and looked pretty much new. I paid less than that for mine a few months ago. Again, it was lightly used.

Latest posts

Back