converted to filing over grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yes, no matter how little you grind out, it still blues the metal in the tooth, even if you can't see it. Any heat off a wheel turning, grinding out steel heats it to a point where it changes the compisition.

This is quite simply not true.

I have never seen square ground that would ever file as good after a grind, even a light one.

I'm sure you're right on that one. The angles on my grinder are slightly different to a round file and to get the file really into the tooth I have to file more metal off than just regrinding it. Thats why I rarely file anymore.

I do think you have to be a bit extra careful when square grinding on chain you want to square file afterward or you can have the problem Burvol mentions of finding hard spots. I have also found hard spots deep in the side plate of chain that had never seen a grinder except the factory. Chisel bit files give up the ghost a lot quicker than round files and you generally cannot get the pressure on them to make them bite once they start getting worn or have hit grinder hardened cutters; That said, If grinding is hardening your cutters so you have difficulty filing them then you are either hitting them too hard or long or have glazed wheels.

I hate filing, and I especially hate square filing. Bringing an extra round chain to work is a good idea for backup but I never have to pull it out.

Back