Cords Per Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audible fart

MS390 OAK CZAR
Reaction score
How many cords per year do you guys burn? I'd say I average 4 cords from the first to last fire of the season. Probably 70 percent silver maple and 30 percent whatever I happen to scrounge.

I burnt almost 6 cords this year started Halloween and burned last fire in early April. Burn mostly decent hardwoods some maple oak elm little bit of hickory even burned some black walnut unsure of how it burned I try to keep it a good mix

Six. I burn from late September through June 15th give or take. I burn oak, maple, cherry and fir. I sell fir $150.00 per cord. I don't sell hardwood. I have a lot of wild filberts (hazel nuts) for understory, I cut em for kindling and I like to see em die.

5-7 cords/year in 2 stoves for 99% heating --soft/red maple, paper birch, green ash, some red oak for the below zero days. And, still burning in this no-summer summer. :( No chance to do the usual stoves' and flues maintenance.

Propane $$$$: has anyone out there found that they charge you MORE /gallon :cry::cry: for using less propane ( only for cooking, hot water, drying ) ? :censored:

10-12 cords per year to heat a 4,000 foot house, garage and work shop. All oak (red, white, black, and chestnut) and all found via Craigslist.org

Really couldn't tell you but a guesstimate of maybe 8 cords, for a 2000 square foot home, garage and DHW. All oak of course.

3 chords = cold winter
2 chords = warm winter
Mostly oak in wood stove
South Mountain, Maryland
Super insulated log home: walls = R29, roof = R43, 2000sf
Apparently, insulation matters.

Last edited:
I will know more after next winter as I will have it measured a little better, but I think 10+ last year through my new wood furnace

About 12 cord, heating the home to 75 and the shop to 68 plus domestic hot water with a OWB. We cut off the shop and DHW heat long enough to see what happened to wood usage and near as we can tell it would be a little over half what we currently burn.

This will be our first year really testing how many cords we use. Based on feedback on AS, it should be in the 5-6 cord range. As I take every kind of wood I can get my hands on (except pine), I burn it all... but need to learn what I'm getting so that I can start seeing the differences.

How many cords per year do you guys burn? I'd say I average 4 cords from the first to last fire of the season. Probably 70 percent silver maple and 30 percent whatever I happen to scrounge.
8 average red/white oak and hickory mostly. This is year round heating 2000 sf and 900sf shop as well as dhw.
hardy h-2 owb.

I'm in the 5-6 cord club, cooking and heating our leaky old farmhouse.

That doesn't include kindling, however. This year, I'm gong to try to get a handle on how much kindling we go through. Since I need to start the stove most every morning, it's a lot.

Counting all the wood I burn in my fire pit, ~2 cords of dense oak - more if I have to burn crummy wood.

xtm

I'm in the 5-6 cord club, cooking and heating our leaky old farmhouse.

That doesn't include kindling, however. This year, I'm gong to try to get a handle on how much kindling we go through. Since I need to start the stove most every morning, it's a lot.

woodbooga - what do you use for kindling?

8-9 cord last year, mostly ash that the borer killed, and some elm. Heating about 3200sqft to 78-85 degrees. The wife likes it hot! :blush:

10 cords all oak and hickory, 2500 sf house and 1000 sf shop.

Latest posts

Back