Cords Per Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gulity1

gulity1

ArboristSite Guru
I burnt almost 6 cords this year started Halloween and burned last fire in early April. Burn mostly decent hardwoods some maple oak elm little bit of hickory even burned some black walnut unsure of how it burned I try to keep it a good mix

Straightgrain

Straightgrain

ArboristSite Operative
Six. I burn from late September through June 15th give or take. I burn oak, maple, cherry and fir. I sell fir $150.00 per cord. I don't sell hardwood. I have a lot of wild filberts (hazel nuts) for understory, I cut em for kindling and I like to see em die.

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
5-7 cords/year in 2 stoves for 99% heating --soft/red maple, paper birch, green ash, some red oak for the below zero days. And, still burning in this no-summer summer. :( No chance to do the usual stoves' and flues maintenance.

Propane $$$$: has anyone out there found that they charge you MORE /gallon :cry::cry: for using less propane ( only for cooking, hot water, drying ) ? :censored:

Wood Billy

Wood Billy

ArboristSite Lurker
10-12 cords per year to heat a 4,000 foot house, garage and work shop. All oak (red, white, black, and chestnut) and all found via Craigslist.org

SINGLE-JACK

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru

3 chords = cold winter
2 chords = warm winter
Mostly oak in wood stove
South Mountain, Maryland
Super insulated log home: walls = R29, roof = R43, 2000sf
Apparently, insulation matters.

Last edited:
Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
About 12 cord, heating the home to 75 and the shop to 68 plus domestic hot water with a OWB. We cut off the shop and DHW heat long enough to see what happened to wood usage and near as we can tell it would be a little over half what we currently burn.

BigPITA

BigPITA

ArboristSite Operative
This will be our first year really testing how many cords we use. Based on feedback on AS, it should be in the 5-6 cord range. As I take every kind of wood I can get my hands on (except pine), I burn it all... but need to learn what I'm getting so that I can start seeing the differences.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
How many cords per year do you guys burn? I'd say I average 4 cords from the first to last fire of the season. Probably 70 percent silver maple and 30 percent whatever I happen to scrounge.
8 average red/white oak and hickory mostly. This is year round heating 2000 sf and 900sf shop as well as dhw.
hardy h-2 owb.

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
I'm in the 5-6 cord club, cooking and heating our leaky old farmhouse.

That doesn't include kindling, however. This year, I'm gong to try to get a handle on how much kindling we go through. Since I need to start the stove most every morning, it's a lot.

SINGLE-JACK

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
I'm in the 5-6 cord club, cooking and heating our leaky old farmhouse.

That doesn't include kindling, however. This year, I'm gong to try to get a handle on how much kindling we go through. Since I need to start the stove most every morning, it's a lot.

woodbooga - what do you use for kindling?

Latest posts