Cost of Electric Conversion for Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am dithering between a used 25 ton (I think?) Speeco, and a new, electric H/V splitter. And I got thinking that if the used Speeco's 8 hp. Honda gives up, it would be the best of both worlds to convert it to a 5 hp. electric motor (I have outside 220v, but it's about 130' from my wood pile).

My thinking was that if I can get the used splitter for about $600.-$700., and I had to repower with an electric motor, for $500., (plus a switch, Lovejoy adapter/coupler, etc..., I would end up with less money in it than a new, 20 Ton Ramsplitter, plus it would be a 25 ton machine. Of course, a new pump probably negates any savings, but I would still end up with a bigger machine than the 20 ton Ramsplitter.

So I have a few questions, for any electrical gurus.

Through pdhowell's helpful PM's, I have learned a lot about Ramsplitters, including the fact that the Ramsplitter has a 1,750 rpm motor. I like the idea of a motor that turns slower, (1,750 vs. 3,600) but it occurs to me that I would NEED A DIFFERENT PUMP, since a gas splitter turns at 3,600 rpm. So....

1. I assume I would need a new pump, right? One that turned slower and pumped twice as much?

2. What should I plan to spend on such a pump?

OR:

3. Would it be possible to "gear up" the motor, with a couple of pullies and a belt, in lieu of a Lovejoy coupler, thereby raising the 1,750 rpm to 3,600? This raises the question of whether the motor and pump have the type of bearings in them that allow them to bear a side-load or not? (I forget what the word for that is called--thrust bearings?)

4. IF I "GEARED UP" THE PUMP, using pullies and a belt, (and that's assuming the bearings of the motor and pump are designed to accept a side-load), do you guys forsee issues of belt slippage, when hitting knots? Or would the ram just stop, and the pump go into relief (bypass?) mode, without belt slippage?

5. What gauge cord would I need to ran a 5hp motor at 130-150' from the outlet? (I have 250 feet of good, stranded, outdoor, 10-3 on hand, so if 10 gauge is sufficent, I'm good to go with that).

6. Here are two 5hp motors--the first is 1,750 rpm, the second is 3,600. The faster motor has a skinny-looking (to me) 5/8" shaft--is this a problem, as I suspect?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2391&catname=electric

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306767_200306767 (Note the skinny, 5/8" shaft--problem?)

7. What accounts for the approx. double cost of the 1,750 rpm motor, vs. the 3,600 rpm model?

8. If I'm correct that I would need a new pump, what gpm would be appropriate, at the lower (1,750rpm) speed?

9. Please identify any issues I've overlooked which would add to the co$t of this project.

10. Is this just a dumb idea? LOL

Thanks in advance!

Big Six

Last edited:
On your motor choice, it's not the speed that changed the price. Read all the specs. The surplus motor is a 184T frame, it weighs 111 lbs. A true commercial duty motor. The Northern one is a 56H that weighs in at 36 lbs. Like asking a boy to do a mans job. The 5/8" shaft is not a problem, as the pump it would drive probably has a 1/2" one. My opinion, adding gears, belts, whatever to change the speed of a pump is a waste of time & money. There are losses everytime you add another item to the drive. Get the right 3450 rpm motor & Lovejoy it to the 2 stage pump & split wood all you want. A true 5 hp motor will run an 11 gpm pump better than a 5 hp gas engine. Beware of motors that say "develops 5 hp" etc, it might, but that figure is just before it starts to burn up. A two stage pump in my opinion is the only way to run a splitter. Unless of course you want a huge motor running it.

You will be fine with the 10 guage wire. The 5hp I have on my air compressor(3phase) needs 20 amp feeds. So I am running 12 guage wire to the converter.

Be careful when you buy a motor, make sure it is not 3 phase.

I would expect the Speeco/ Honda setup to run several homeowners lifetimes with proper maintenance. And it can be moved to split at a neighbors or in the woods.
5hp electric conversion - 130' from woodpile would be pushing #10 wire size - would use at least #8.
The 2nd motor you listed is not a true 5hp. It only pulls 15a full load.
An electric motor more like this -
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-1093&catname=electric

I have electric on my splitter, way to go. Lots of good info here. My rule of thumb is 1 hp real electric = 2 hp gas requirement. No substitute for real hp.

(good way to describe 'develops'):clap:

Back