Cost to split/stack Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who would ever work that hard for so little money? I was at a kids birthday party yesterday,,,,young woman arrives dressed up as Cinderella. Spends an hour with the kids and leaves.....$200:) A day labourer in my neck of the woods is $120 + lunch. Anyway, sad how 'cheap' people can be

Who would ever work that hard for so little money? I was at a kids birthday party yesterday,,,,young woman arrives dressed up as Cinderella. Spends an hour with the kids and leaves.....$200:) A day labourer in my neck of the woods is $120 + lunch. Anyway, sad how 'cheap' people can be

Hey, don't give anyone around here any ideas. I'd make a healthy wager there have been no frequent AS users that could dress up as a fairy tail princess without causing irreparable harm to children.

The guy down the road from me runs a tub grinding & firewood buisness and he's had a sign hanging on his gate advertising $15 a hour if you meet his performance level as a helper on a processor, I've hauled brush down for grinding and talked to the owner and he says he struggles finding people at that dollar amount...which doesn't surprise me.

The guy down the road from me runs a tub grinding & firewood buisness and he's had a sign hanging on his gate advertising $15 a hour if you meet his performance level as a helper on a processor, I've hauled brush down for grinding and talked to the owner and he says he struggles finding people at that dollar amount...which doesn't surprise me.
Apparently these days if you do manual labor you are entitled to big bucks.

Heck I would consider doing that on evenings and weekends if I had free time!

Apparently these days if you do manual labor you are entitled to big bucks.

Heck I would consider doing that on evenings and weekends if I had free time!

Agreed.

If you caught me on the right day you could get me to split and stack a cord for a $20 if you were close to me and I didn't have to wedge or rip...I'd think of it as a great workout and a good deed...for free if I figured they needed help.

There are no days you'd get me to try to split and stack "about 6 cords, you get paid $80 regardless of how much there is"

This is a situation where folks who answer the ad show up, consider the amount of work and time required and get back in the truck and drive away.

6 cords in 8 hours is what figure I can do on my log splitter with a conveyor. If they actually need the help and are not just lazy, I think most areas in the country they should be able to find someone that is willing to help.

6 cords in 8 hours is what figure I can do on my log splitter with a conveyor. If they actually need the help and are not just lazy, I think most areas in the country they should be able to find someone that is willing to help.

It doesnt matter if they need help or not. They are advertising it as a job to be done on your own.

No one is going to split 6 cord+ for $60. Period. You're wasting your time asking someone too. You might get someone to flag a road under the table for 8 hours for $60. You aren't going to get someone to work balls to the wall for 10hrs for $60.

After several thousand cords of wood processed I have come to believe that the average cost per cord comes to $75. Here in Southern California we basically have Pine and Oak. It appears that there is not much difference between the two after it is brought to my yard. We do have quite a bit of Cedar, but Cedar is great for fence post and trim just not firewood. When two hired people split using my splitter it usually takes close to 3 hours. When I am by my self it takes me more than two hours. So my cost seems to stay consistent. In Washington State when I was splitting by hand Lodge Pole Pine that was super dry and seasoned it could be done well in under 3 hours if there was a really big reason to hurry. After a couple of cords my strength was gone and that was when I was doing it pretty often. When my splitter is throttled up it can cycle as fast as 5 to 8 seconds, but it still averages between 2 and 3 hours. I have been to many states and have determined that wood is very different. Some wood with out many knots can actually be done faster than a good splitter, but a rare situation. Does this average seem consistent with folks living elsewhere? To get a couple of hardworking people for under $15 is not going to happen plus you have to provide sodas, snacks, lunch and pick them up. Does anybody get the job done faster? BTW I only use a cradle splitter and would not consider bending over a guillotine style. Thanks

Where I live we don't do cords it's cubic metres so 39"x 39"x 39" wood cut to metre legths is cut either 2 or thee times dependent on the fire size & split into2 or 3 pieces 100Euros =113$ a pop stacking extra in the region of $20

I will split a customer's wood for $35 an hour with a three hour minimum. Thats me and another man with my log splitter. I can split a cord depending on species and length in 1.5 to 2.5 hours. I still feel like that's too cheap... I will stack it for the same price $35 an hour. So to stack it too would be another hour or less most likely.

I can process a cord an hr, it only takes a $40,000 processor and $55,000 skid steer w grapple, and $700 chainsaw though!

I don't have a processor, but I get what your saying. Between my splitters, skid steer, and saws I'm in the $50,000 range. I'd like to split other people's wood for money, but I doubt they would want to pay a fair (to me) price. On top of that, no matter what price you settled on, they might feel cheated if you get it done to fast.

Back