Craigs list beats eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last Saturday I put identical ads for my 011AVT on eBay (would have closed tomorrow) and Craigs list (my first time there.) On eBay I got lots of lookers, a few questions, no bids. First inquiry on CL, the guy showed up 1/2 hour later with cash in hand, no dickering. And no fees. No packing to ship. Gotta like craigs list!

Craigslist is cake

I love craigslist, I find alot of my saws on there. It's better than a newspaper and ebay because it doesn't cost anything to post them and its easier to use:rock: . Have yet to try to sell a saw on there but I bet it will be easy. The only catch is that you need a craiglist that has alot of action, some city branches have little action or views.

Glad you had good results with Craigslist. :clap:

In the Seattle area it seems to be getting out of control. Lots of spam, lots of wanted ads in the for sale section, lots of postings in the wrong category. It's getting so I don't look anymore.

I love Craigslist!

I rented my house out in a week from an ad on Craigslist.

Another + vote for Craigslist. In our area they have about everything you'd need and most of it's within a decent driving distance. I bought a set of cylinder head wrenches for an aircraft engine at a ridiculously low price and got to see them before I forked over the dough. I've read too many horror stories about EBay to buy a piece of machinery sight unseen.

The closest Craigs list to me is 60 miles in either direction, Cleveland or Pittsburg. I just haven't found anything worth driving for...Bob

I actually found my car on Craigslist from Dubai before I flew in: stopped in Atlanta specifically to buy it and drove it on to TN. Definitely recommend looking at your nearest city listings. As above some are great some not active, and what can I say about Seattle?

In the Seattle area it seems to be getting out of control. Lots of spam, lots of wanted ads in the for sale section, lots of postings in the wrong category. It's getting so I don't look anymore.

I've never looked into craigslist. just glanced at it a few times. How does it work? No moderators? Or lousy moderators?

How does it work? I clicked on the "sale number" and e-mailed craigslist. Who gets the e-mail, how do you find the phone number....Lots of good stuff on there.
Jack

I love Craigslist, but I had a bad experience this weekend. I drove about 50 miles for this ad to cut up some free oak firewood:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/310287425.html

Got there, the guy was a complete jackarse. Then he pointed me to a pile of muddy termite infested, rotten wood that had obviously been pushed over by a bulldozer over a year ago when they built his house.

But, being the nice guy I am, I just left quietly without saying how truely po'd I was. The very next day, the guy posts this:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/312289229.html

Unfortuneatly there is no feedback forum on craigslist, like eBay. I've used CL plenty of times, gotten a lot of good free firewood and bought a couple things, but nobody knows that I am good to deal with and this guy is a jerk.

Thumbs up for Craigslist

I have bought and sold a bit on Craigslist and have liked it a lot. As always, buyer beware, and other cautions should be adhered to.

Three weeks ago someone advertised a Stihl 044 for $350. Seller stated that it was in excellent condition, hardly used, etc. I contacted him and he said he had bought it for two yard trees that he removed five years ago and hadn't used it since except to start it regularly; had receipt and manual, had paid about $500 for it 5 years ago. I eagerly and almost immediately went to look at it. It was a 440 with a 16" bar on it, looked almost new except a rusting muffler (you know how those get). It turns out he studied timbersports at the local community college, and so he said when he needed a chainsaw for those trees he knew he wanted a Stihl. I had him run it for me (sounded good to me - and probably to all the neighbors in the residential neighborhood). The bar really did look like it was just slightly used (2 trees worth). I got it for $325 with two extra chains ( I doubt he had sharpened any of them but just kept changing chains.)

The receipt showed that he paid $535 plus tax, 5 years ago. I know that today this saw is $700 plus tax.

I already have a 440 that I bought used off this site, but now I have a pair!

I cut with it a couple weeks ago and boy does it scream through hardwood with that 16" bar.

Another Craigslist winner!

MarkG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back