Craigslist sellers some are shady!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "that" mean?

Just a general statement...not pointed at you Fish, calm yer self! I am however, done with this thread. You've got your understanding and I've got mine. :cheers:

In the vintage saw collecting the prices of old saws are all over the place. Someone finds an old saw in the barn or shed and they think it is worth its weight in gold. Some really good old vintage saws just get tossed out into the trash. Usually it just comes down to what a collector is willing to pay no matter what rhetoric is used to describe the saw being sold. I can see where the seller of the 038 is hyping up the saw and trying to make himself sound knowledgeable but it still comes down to what he can sucker someone into paying for that saw. Buyer beware is the only thing that will work against unscrupulous sellers.
Pioneerguy600

I just got a non running 066.Cosmetically, the saw is awsome.The seller said the saw wouldn`t pull over.I shot him an offer.In my eyes, the saw is worth $225.00.That`s what I offered.He accepted, the saw is in the mail.I checked his feedback later.He never sold a saw or part in like 300 transactions.Sold wire stripping machines.Instead of blowing the chance of a sale with a lowball bid, I offered him what I thought was fair for a non running good looking 066.Hopefully, the saw doesn`t need but a piston, seals and a fuel and impulse line.My point is, If I offered him $75.00, he might have taken it, but he might have said forget it, I`m not selling it to you at any price.I always try to give a fair offer for saws.What someone sells their items for is between the seller and the buyer.You have no business telling me what my item is worth and what I should be selling it for.It`s non of your business, unless you intend to buy it.

Sawbid thanks for seeing my point little buddy!!!!!!!!! Ethics amen...... Fish dindt mean to hit a nerve dude, and thought I would get support but its 50-50 half support c-list dude that nobody knows WTF........... Oh well Its all good to me............ LOL!!!!!!!! But thanks again sawbid for seeing my point that it was more than the price!!!!! Fish I respect the fact the youre opinion differs, and its all good because nobody agrees 100 percent, all the time, but hackles down buddy was just speakin my mind!!!!!!!!! NORM............

I honestly think that people get desperate sometimes when they are unemployed and can't find work. I also used to work in an auto parts store and had hordes of parts stolen when the illegals came in in a pack of 20 or more. We looked the store over when they left and many items were taken out of their "anti theft" packaging. I didn't believe that whole groups of people could be thieves either but seeing it convinced me.

Hmm...where do I stand with this subject? Neutral for the most part I guess.

I think that falsely hyping something up that is'nt worth half the price thats being asked is an unethical thing to do but who am I to judge what is or is'nt a fair price for something. All I have is "my" opinion. My opinion is that it is wayyy to high and I would never pay it. That don't mean someone else won't pay it. If someone finds a sucker in the world then who am I to call really call them right or wrong?

It's really no different then buying a mint condition 090 for 200 bucks because the seller did'nt know what it was worth. This case has the seller being the "sucker" and the buyer being the bad guy all of a sudden. Should he have told him it was worth more? May have been the "ethical" thing to do in my opinion but that don't make my opinion right.

It boils down to you and what you want to pay or sell something for. You do the research before you buy or sell and you won't find yourself starting threads about how bad you got burnt or how bad you burnt someone. People will charge what they want to charge and people will pay what they want to pay. No right or wrong in my opinion, just not cool sometimes.

Just curious as to how potentially overpricing a saw is shady? A seller has every right to ask whatever amount he chooses for his item, but that does not make him shady. Claiming that it costs more than it actually did/does in an effort to hook someone might qualify however.

When I see ads like this I simply ignore them. You will never be able to rationalize with a seller of this type and the market response will speak louder than you ever could.

I called a lady on a 361, She told me on the phone she would accept no less than 700 for the saw. Her husband paid 1100 for it a few years ago. It was raining that day. So I asked here if it was sunny out where she lived. HAHA. She had a local number but was not living in my world.

I called a lady on a 361, She told me on the phone she would accept no less than 700 for the saw. Her husband paid 1100 for it a few years ago. It was raining that day. So I asked here if it was sunny out where she lived. HAHA. She had a local number but was not living in my world.

LoL! Sounds like she was either misinformed, or looking for a sucker eh?:laugh:

1100 could have been the total bill if her husband got the saw with a case, helmet, chaps, filing kit, extra bar, chains, oil, sales tax etc.

Oh and it is possible to have a local number and not be local, and vice versa. My neighbors just moved here from Texas, and they still have the Texas area code and phone number.

Hmm...where do I stand with this subject? Neutral for the most part I guess.

I think that falsely hyping something up that is'nt worth half the price thats being asked is an unethical thing to do but who am I to judge what is or is'nt a fair price for something. All I have is "my" opinion. My opinion is that it is wayyy to high and I would never pay it. That don't mean someone else won't pay it. If someone finds a sucker in the world then who am I to call really call them right or wrong?

It's really no different then buying a mint condition 090 for 200 bucks because the seller did'nt know what it was worth. This case has the seller being the "sucker" and the buyer being the bad guy all of a sudden. Should he have told him it was worth more? May have been the "ethical" thing to do in my opinion but that don't make my opinion right.

It boils down to you and what you want to pay or sell something for. You do the research before you buy or sell and you won't find yourself starting threads about how bad you got burnt or how bad you burnt someone. People will charge what they want to charge and people will pay what they want to pay. No right or wrong in my opinion, just not cool sometimes.

I agree. The buyer sets the price. However I hate it when they exaggerate the new value. Buyers always have the option to say no. When I use a buy it now price on the bay and it sells within minutes. I have to wonder if it was priced right. However If I get no bids I wonder the same thing. There is a guy buy me who cleans up saws and sells them. He has great descriptions and pics, I see he only drops the price a hundred bucks from a new saw, This is even for a discontinued model. like a 026 or 044. His ads last for up to a week and their down. Somebody is paying that much. He lists firm in his ads. Somebody sees the value in his ads.

1100 could have been the total bill if her husband got the saw with a case, helmet, chaps, filing kit, extra bar, chains, oil, sales tax etc.

Oh and it is possible to have a local number and not be local, and vice versa. My neighbors just moved here from Texas, and they still have the Texas area code and phone number.

Talking to this lady she seemed to live in her own little world. Their are really 3 types of sellers everywhere. The ones who just want to get rid of it with the least hassle. Price isnt a big concern. The average seller who has done his research and has come up with a fair price for both buyer and seller. Then the businessman the ones who feel even though it is used it is worth more than I paid for it. I dont care how many calls I get or how long I have to list it. I want new price for my JUNK. It takes all 3 to make the world go around, But 1 and 2 are easier to get along with.

The saw is worth what someone is willing to pay.

That is all......

I suppose if his price was too low, you would have e-mailed him and told him the price was too low.......................

I get tired of folks informing me that my price may or may not be too high on
e-bay.
If it is too high, it won't sell.
If it does sell, I am a crook?

Fish your wisdom is ringing true in that post. With times tuff I've been getting more and more calls at the shop debating prices. Even in person at the rack the bartering is getting more intense. People are wanting to pay less and less regardless of what the price tag says. Just yesterday I get a call about a concrete saw. Man tells me you gave me good price on it last week but I've called around and found one 30.00 less, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BEAT IT. I said no, I don't have to beat it, in fact what you need to do is go get it. Silence came over the phone, I though for a second he dropped dead on me,LOL A non-profit sale is not a sale so why bother, best to tellem to mosey on. You can't let the customers tell you the sell price, if you do you'll be out of business in no time!!!!!

Fish your wisdom is ringing true in that post. With times tuff I've been getting more and more calls at the shop debating prices. Even in person at the rack the bartering is getting more intense. People are wanting to pay less and less regardless of what the price tag says. Just yesterday I get a call about a concrete saw. Man tells me you gave me good price on it last week but I've called around and found one 30.00 less, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BEAT IT. I said no, I don't have to beat it, in fact what you need to do is go get it. Silence came over the phone, I though for a second he dropped dead on me,LOL A non-profit sale is not a sale so why bother, best to tellem to mosey on. You can't let the customers tell you the sell price, if you do you'll be out of business in no time!!!!!

He's right on the price tag end, but also right on the other end as well. If someone gets a bargain on a saw and posts about it, it's slaps on the back all around. Unless he buys it at a crack house...

If setting a price that you'd be glad to pay, or getting a deal on a saw isn't crooked, then neither is setting a price you don't want to pay.

Saw an ad in Sf area on C-list. Guy is tring to sell a 038 for 600 bucks WTF... He goes on to say it is worth at least a grand? Whhhhhhhhat! I emailed him just because I hate thes people that just try, and find suckers or nieve people, and pull a fast one. I wasnt a totle ass. Just said that it wasnt worth that, and you could get a sweet 044, or 372 which is a newer faster saw for less cash, and did say that either one of those would smoke a 038. He made it sound like thise 1k BEAST! WAS the man. Nothing againsat the 038, but be honest man. So I just got a reply back, and he told me to eat this, and called me that, and said he does tree work, and the 038 blows the doors off a 044 all day long! WTF.......... Maybe he thought I was talking about the 44 rancher husky????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember someone in my area trying to sell a poulan pro 4620 for $400. They said "almost brand new - was $600" :confused:

I honestly think that people get desperate sometimes when they are unemployed and can't find work.

so they supplement their income by overcharging on craigslist? do you know anyone who is unemployed?

I also used to work in an auto parts store and had hordes of parts stolen when the illegals came in in a pack of 20 or more. .

alert! alert! ravaging bands of 'illegals' have been identified in linton, indiana of all places. they apparently are after auto parts!

hahahah

come on man, this is just plain silly.

...............Meh... some people think they have a goldmine and all they'll give some one is the shaft... Kinda like the ol' Jerry Reed song... :)

Gary

Some guys might be lucky is she gets the goldmine and they get to keep their shaft. Ya remember ole Bobbitt:)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back