crane and i doing our thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the west coast version come with both(big) dogs and bigger clutch cover and chain roller thing where as the standard comes with one little dog and a smaller clutch cover and the silver chain catch. and obviously the wrap handle is different too.

funny thing is those parts to upgrade the standard would cost like 150 more but if you order the west coast version it'll be 30-40 more. lol

but yes i look forward to climbing with it.

OD, I've got an 044 that still runs like it's new that is West Coast. This mofo screams! I'm not crazy about the big dogs on it though. Not a lot of use for them on the trees I work. I'd rather have the 2" or whatever of bar.

I have been climbing with mine for about 5 days straight, Can't say that I'm thrilled about that... :D

OD, I've got an 044 that still runs like it's new that is West Coast. This mofo screams! I'm not crazy about the big dogs on it though. Not a lot of use for them on the trees I work. I'd rather have the 2" or whatever of bar.

I have been climbing with mine for about 5 days straight, Can't say that I'm thrilled about that... :D

I don't care for those bigger dogs either get your rakers a little low and they cause chin binding imo.

Does that West Coast version make more power?

I bought a couple of 361's for up in the air to put a big bar on and be lighter but the power loss sucks so it is back to the 460 and 660. 361's still useful on the ground tho.

Last edited:
Does that West Coast version make more power?

I bought a couple of 361's for up in the air to put a big bar on and be lighter but the power loss sucks so it is back to the 460 and 660. 361's still useful on the ground tho.

If anything, it might have an upgraded sprocket. Not sure about that though. The larger clutch cover and bigger dogs are the only difference that I can tell.

I ordered a regular cover and dogs for mine but the idiots ordered me another West coast setup. Never had time to take it back so I've got an extra set now too.

It works fine but like I said, I'd rather have the 2-3" of bar that the dogs take up.

I bought a west coast 460 about 6 months ago with a 28" bar. Port matched the muffler and she's in business. I put a custom angle up cut on the bottom dog so it slides over the wood easier and doesn't grab up on ya, might be something you'd want to look into OD.

Using it in the tree is a dream, being able to handle it from one position cutting anyway you want. I wouldn't want the wrap bar on all my saw though.

All jokes aside.. I gotta say, you a straight up animal Justin!

Death to all white pines!

I gotta say though... while the customer did look pleased, he also looked kind of shocked at how much dough he coughed up, and how fast! lol.

I'm still waiting to see some footage of a large decurrent tree with huge laterals especially over a roof and how you guys handle that Justin. Those stick trees really are overmatched by the equipment you all are using.

I'm still waiting to see some footage of a large decurrent tree with huge laterals especially over a roof and how you guys handle that Justin. Those stick trees really are overmatched by the equipment you all are using.

find the balance spot and put a couple slings if needed rappel make the cut and send the piece to the chipper, no?

100ft pines in the wind looks easy to you tv? and i did tell you that chipper is nasty didn't i? lol.

find the balance spot and put a couple slings if needed rappel make the cut and send the piece to the chipper, no?

100ft pines in the wind looks easy to you tv? and i did tell you that chipper is nasty didn't i? lol.

That is the whole deal OD....on a big lateral (sideways) you won't be rapelling off the hook to the cut....the cut is sideways from the chokers. You may be able to set the chokers from a t i p and then swing or walk to the cut....but then again maybe there is not one (tip) over the cut.

This is where these "easy" td's disappear and are not good content for your videos. These are the old ...."crane booms you to the top....you set choker...you rappel down to the cut....you disconnect from the ball and connect to the tree....you make the cut and wave bye bye." Been doing those for decades, not so often tho as not so many pines around here (excurrent trees)

This is what I'd like to see you and your equipment do a real hard removal in "real" time. I am sure you can do it and I am sure you do them sometimes...but I have not seen this and this the pro stuff I want to watch.

Chipper is definately "nasty", but mine is not way behind it.

we did 6 oaks today. back yard sprawlers. on the hook is 2 14ft slings. on a long lateral of which you speak i put the slings together to get a 28 ft sling. cable that up and i rappel/limb walk to the cut spot and make the cut. same way i do it on a pine.

need even more? add a longer sling.

you need to come out here to see it tv. couple nice hotels right down the road from the shop. beantown a 20 minute ride down the road.

i was running the crane the other day, you get that pic i sent ya?

hey 101 you see me setting up the crane for that pine job? not just a dunnage monkey, you mutt.

we did 6 oaks today. back yard sprawlers. on the hook is 2 14ft slings. on a long lateral of which you speak i put the slings together to get a 28 ft sling. cable that up and i rappel/limb walk to the cut spot and make the cut. same way i do it on a pine.

you need to come out here to see it tv. couple nice hotels right down the road from the shop. beantown a 20 minute ride down the road.

hey 101 you see me setting up the crane for that pine job? not just a dunnage monkey, you mutt.

I'd love to come out and see you guys work OD, but I can't get away now just like you couldn't. I went to college in Biddeford Me. I love the NE coast. Sometime it will happen.

Didn't get a pict you sent but cool you are running the crane.

All I am saying is you got the vid cam and somebody to run it obviously and I love to watch cranes work and hear the dialogue and the actual saw running, positioning, the picks, and the cycling etc when a team is real good at what they do like you guys are.

That is the whole deal OD....on a big lateral (sideways) you won't be rapelling off the hook to the cut....the cut is sideways from the chokers. You may be able to set the chokers from a t i p and then swing or walk to the cut....but then again maybe there is not one (tip) over the cut.

This is where these "easy" td's disappear and are not good content for your videos. These are the old ...."crane booms you to the top....you set choker...you rappel down to the cut....you disconnect from the ball and connect to the tree....you make the cut and wave bye bye." Been doing those for decades, not so often tho as not so many pines around here (excurrent trees)

This is what I'd like to see you and your equipment do a real hard removal in "real" time. I am sure you can do it and I am sure you do them sometimes...but I have not seen this and this the pro stuff I want to watch.

Chipper is definately "nasty", but mine is not way behind it.

Yea the BC 2000 will be chipping long after that woodsman throws the drum through the top of the machine had a 1800 and a 2000, both nasty but the single axle 1800 has the habit of lifting the truck when its running through big wood

Wow thats great that you found the time to chuck a couple of 6 bys under the mat , while setting the stage for a nasty day with some stick pine , believe me when I say this ..... ahhh nevermind it'll just fall on deaf ears ...Ya know what #### it I try to muster up something decent to say and I just can't

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back