crane and i doing our thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree is Corymbia calophylla (Marri). Coarse bark, dense hard wood. It will snap more readily than usual because it is close to death. Not much foliage left. It is 25 metres tall and total weight will not exceed 6 tonnes.

Crane is a 55 tonne Tadano with a 42 metre boom. The hard top is 1 metre from the root flare so crane can set up anywhere it likes in a 270 degree arc on bitumen that takes 4-10 tonne trucks all week.

The load limit on picks will be set by inexperience rather than capacity. I want them small and safe as I improve my eye. I have plenty of time written in to the job so I have no pressure on me other than wanting to do the best job I can.

Harness is a near new Petzl sequoia and the saw will be an MS 441 with standard bar and full chisel chain. I use a bungee lanyard with a built in hook like this one.
attachment.php

Thanks for the tips. I will tool down and just have the lifeline,flipline and saw. Handsaw can be left behind too as there is little foliage and the twigs in the way get kicked.

Gonna take some pics or even a video of this one. Gotta have some memories of popping my cherry!

My first crane job was in early 1971. Bout time you popped your cherry lol.

My first that I climbed on was 97. Loved it.

The main two things to remember when doing crane work is to set the choker high enough where you can make your cut and keep it butt heavy. Worst thing you can do is have the piece roll on you. That and when in doubt, go smaller. better to take a smaller piece than take a chance on overloading.

Whenever I am setting up a crane job the first think I ask the operator how much he can get fully extended. Then I ask him how much he can get extended out to my furthest pick. That way I know what my limits are.

I agree that it is often better to go with a bigger crane. I learned on a small boom truck and know how to get every bit I can out of one but the time you save with a bigger crane often cancels out any savings you might get with a smaller crane. The work it will usually save makes it a lot more worthwhile. I mean you can pay $125 for 6 hours or $175 for 4. You do the math.

Here are a few pics of my house's upcoming crane job...power lines run with sidewalk in front of house, two-story with attic, and one side collapsed on neighbor's garage. Gas line between fence and house, 5 feet from tree. Gonna be fun to watch, but then I have to work the ground so might be to busy.

so true tv.

look for the compression cause it'll be everywhere when the piece gets layed down. also be very aware if you plan on cutting anything that requires you to cut at or above shoulder height. if you not aware of the situation you will get smacked in the mouth by something you just cut.

check out the thread i started. "crane and i doing our thing".

i ain't knocking you bud just having some fun. whenever i start to fuss a little with the choke point selection i get over the headset "c'mon reg, we aint using spider legs. let's go!" lol.

This cant be it. A bunch af guys taking out small-medium verticals in fast forward.

I watched vids 2 & 3 still waiting for something to happen....it didn't. Why didn't you say 2 & 3 were more of the same, thats 10 minutes of my life, I coulda made a big sandwich or something.

I've learnt nothing of your slinging, cutting, climbing, rope management, communication, squat.

Of course I'm kidding. But I'm honestly none the wiser as to whether you actually know your $hit from watching those vids. Time laspe is frustrating, for me....but then Ive had to endure about as many tree vids as I can stomach over the last few years.

What I did like is your enphasis on time....potential to entice/convince home owner, in and out before you know it. Nothing more off-putting than having a bunch of strangers dragging their a$ses at your home for days on end.

jeez reg, i wasn't attacking you man i was just saying you slow thats all.

whatever though don't you worry better footage coming soon. we just getting loose with the camera.

jeez reg, i wasn't attacking you man i was just saying you slow thats all.

Hey, my vids are either in real time or slowed down a little because I'm still so dam quick....Unlike some people I dont have to speed the vid up to make it look like somethings happening!

And by the time you get a ride to every pick-point (lucky guy) I would have been there already, yawning probably.

whatever though don't you worry better footage coming soon. we just getting loose with the camera

Dude I get worried about my wife and daughter, never about trees being cut down some place. All the best OD

Last edited:
What I did like is your enphasis on time....potential to entice/convince home owner, in and out before you know it. Nothing more off-putting than having a bunch of strangers dragging their a$ses at your home for days on end.

Ain't that the truth :agree2: and you probably should check what might be missing if the garage door was left open.

Hey, my vids are either in real time or slowed down a little because I'm still so dam quick....Unlike some people I dont have to speed the vid up to make it look like somethings happening!

And by the time you get a ride to every pick-point (lucky guy) I would have been there already, yawning probably.

Dude I get worried about my wife and daughter, never about trees being cut down some place. All the best OD

I'm wondering who would take who in a back yard no crane access scenario... a real test of a treeman! lol.

I'm wondering who would take who in a back yard no crane access scenario... a real test of a treeman! lol.

I'm guessing it's not the guy sitting on his ass punching away at the keyboard at 9 am on a weekday. lol Sparkles!

I know, probably me at least 50% of the time lol, I say your right and the real climbers can do it without 300K hanging over there head , I have taken trees that others have walked from and made good money and no sweat.. I have done OD's job and have seen how one trick pony it makes you ....I am only impressed with his bosses metal thats it ..

I know, probably me at least 50% of the time lol, I say your right and the real climbers can do it without 300K hanging over there head , I have taken trees that others have walked from and made good money and no sweat.. I have done OD's job and have seen how one trick pony it makes you ....I am only impressed with his bosses metal thats it ..

I doubt anyone is trying to impress you and furthermore I don't think anyone has seen any proof through pictures of any of your work. Fire some up right now boy. Let's see what you got.:bringit:

I doubt anyone is trying to impress you and furthermore I don't think anyone has seen any proof through pictures of any of your work. Fire some up right now boy. Let's see what you got.:bringit:

Word.

Booked a crane gig for myself this Saturday boys. It'll be my first deciduous on a stick. It doesn't even remotely need a crane but it'll be more fun this way.

Back