Credentials?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlboy088

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:confused: Hey, i've been doing tree work for friends and family for a few years now; just small time stuff nothing too big. I am a student in my second year at a local 2 year college earning generals toward a degree in forest management and i'm in my second year there. This past sunday i spent about 3 hours in a fairly large silver maple taking it down for my friends parents and dropped 3 large norway pines in their backyard. When all was said and done equipment was loaded in my truck and was driving back home i realized this is kinda what i really want to do (Tree work and Logging). i started climbing every thing in sight when i was around 10 months old according to my mother, and never really stopped i still rec. climb as often as i can and have been around chainsaws all of my life (started out with a bow saw and axe when i was 7 and got my first chainsaw when i was 13. i also come from a 5 generation logging and lumber based family started in sweden and moved to the states in the 1890's) I've looked into starting at the local tech school next year in a program specifically designed for tree work (Urban Forestry Technician) 4 semesters long and then going for a 1 year diploma at a college up in Minnesota for CTL and Mechanized Logging Equipment training. i think this would be my best bet in getting really started in the industry but i have every intention of going back to school and finishing the forest management degree+parents said they will help pay for a full four year but want me to be happy.(i think it may also be easier to do this class by class and keep a little coin in my pocket) so that later in life after iv'e had my fun i could relax and not break my back everyday but still go out and do somthing that i love. i would really appreciate feed back from everyone out there in arborist land. My dad says i should also look into going to a heavy equipment operator and CDL course (Level I) to take this summer he says it will probably help out big time. sorry to make this so long winded but this is going to help me decide what i'll be doing for the rest of my life so it's kinda really important.

Dave,:cheers:

My dad told me to go to school and become a gynecologist... I didn't listen, I became a treeman instead... :yoyo:

Sure

Otherwise i was thinkin' P0rnstar, but that could be a side Job. My dad told me last weekend to find somthin' Blonde with legs up to my neck and rich (Like filthy Stinkin' rich) the exact words after that were "Marry for money you can always buy Love" hate to say it but my old man is more perverted then i am.
But seriously i really would like some feedback on the original topic.
Dave

Last edited:
Take your parents' money and get the degree while it is offered. It may not be available if and when you get around to it.

Cutting down trees :chainsaw: is a rush, but look at what you leave behind. Nothing. When that rush fades it's good to have another way ready to go, to add something positive.

Get your arborist certification if you want to work with urban trees. It's the most universally recognized indication of competence. :)

Last edited:
Are you going to Point? Good school, maybe take a few courses at MidState for tree climbing. Ron Zilmer has a very good program there.

"Marry for money and you will pay for it the rest of your life."

Go for your Forest management degree to begin with. You will gain a lot of valuable tree related knowledge in doing so if the program is anything like here at Purdue. You will gain knowledge on tree ID as well as some physiology and biology. This will give you a good base and then you can branch out to other forestry related topics such as your urban forestry. Or once you have a forestry type degree a lot of companies will look at that and bring you on and help train you and some have in house training as well as college courses that will further education.

Schooling

Right now i'm at UW-Marshfield/Wood County and staying there this semester and next (big independant study course i want to finish) but was planning on sticking around wisconsin until all of my schooling is completed planning on finishing up at Stevens Point. Many of my general ed. credits are completed. if i take the urban forestry program at midstate it takes care of all the summerschool work for the forest management degree and gives me the oppurtunity to practice and learn new climbing and pruning techniques. if i could get through the Midstate course get a job part time/full time and take the rest of the courses for the degree at St. Point i think i could integrate my work experience into my studies and vice versa retaining more knowledge and living life the way it was meant to: safe, healthy and happy. I've talked with Ron Zilmer and Joe Hoffman 2 of the instructors there and toured the facility and think that i could do very well in the program just considering my background so i hope it works out well.
Dave:cheers:

Your story is similar to mine except you seem to have more direction than I. Started climbing with no mentor or training at 16 years old. Used klein spikes, a lineman belt and a buck strap and I was invincible. Never took it serious until I found cool stuff on the internet like ArboristSite. I was 22-23 and started a weekend and evening business and eventually quit my office job as a paralegal. That job sucked. My folks always told me to get a cushy office job.

Go to school. Work part time for a reputable tree company and learn the ins and outs of the trade. Very hard to get up and running but man is it a wild ride!!!

Mike

My dad says i should also look into going to a heavy equipment operator and CDL course (Level I) to take this summer he says it will probably help out big time.

These two are very important-finding a ca who can drive a chip truck legally around here is almost impossible. Personally, have been thinking about getting certified on cranes.

Cranes

One of my uncles owns a crane service iv'e worked with him on a few jobs mainly construction, and i have worked around a few on tree removal jobs. that might be yet another option i should look at also, thanks.
Dave:cheers:

You are headed in the right direction with school, and the CDL will be a very good thing to have as well. Never stop learning and never stop climbing. Plant a tree ... a future arborist will thank you!

Back