Crushed My Stihl 661, Need Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novaknives

Treekiller
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post and a very sad one too... I was dropping trees for a farmer and a gust of wind pinched my 661`s bar pretty well. As I was walking back to the truck to grab a saw tool the wind stopped and I watched in slo-mo as that tree fell, my 661 fell out and got crushed. Do any of you guys have the blown up parts diagrams? I want to start to dig into the saw and look for more damage. Or would you just take it to the dealer( I have a really good one) and let them deal with it. The saw isn't destroyed but the handle is bent, 2 of the antivibe springs are trashed, and the chain break melted into the muffler. Thanks

Dealer

If the motor runs its fine, about the only other thing to worry about is the fuel tank rear handle assembly which is expensive and maybe some plastic... also pull the top cover off and check for broken fins

And maybe some internal brake parts... sounds lije just the front handle and brake is all... you got lucky...

Hey everyone, this is my first post and a very sad one too... I was dropping trees for a farmer and a gust of wind pinched my 661`s bar pretty well. As I was walking back to the truck to grab a saw tool the wind stopped and I watched in slo-mo as that tree fell, my 661 fell out and got crushed. Do any of you guys have the blown up parts diagrams? I want to start to dig into the saw and look for more damage. Or would you just take it to the dealer( I have a really good one) and let them deal with it. The saw isn't destroyed but the handle is bent, 2 of the antivibe springs are trashed, and the chain break melted into the muffler. Thanks
Check your inbox for the ipl and service manual.

Over the years, I've been watching a lot of fail videos about dropping trees, and I've concluded that just about anything can happen. Wedges, cables, experience, etc. only goes so far. When it's you or your saws time, god help you....

Barber chairs, exploding inner rot, misreading a lean or just random fubar -- is going to eventually get you if the grim reaper doesn't get you first. :(

Pictures? saw .......saw and tree

Did you have your wedges and ax with you before you started cutting? A well place wedge might have saved the saw and/or prevented the pinch

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here are photos of the saw after some digging into it. I dont have any of the tree because I was running to the truck to grab my backup and cut her out...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Man, that sucks! Hardly looks broken in. It doesn't look that bad so I suggest you give it a go fixing it. As far as parts go, I would normally suggest aftermarket parts, but the usual supplier (Huztl) doesn't seem to have any stuff for the 661 yet, which leaves you with oem as far as I know. Good luck, I hate to see saws squished!

Man, that sucks! Hardly looks broken in. It doesn't look that bad so I suggest you give it a go fixing it. As far as parts go, I would normally suggest aftermarket parts, but the usual supplier (Huztl) doesn't seem to have any stuff for the 661 yet, which leaves you with oem as far as I know. Good luck, I hate to see saws squished!
Yeah the saw is at the dealer now and when they call me to tell me what the damage is I'll post that up here.

Back