Cs62

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawsome

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just given a huge felled sugar maple all I had to do was buck it up. Well my Husky 55 has always been great but the butt log on this tree measured 52" across so I needed a bigger saw and I wanted to stay under $500.00 and I wanted a saw that I could use later for normal firewood cutting.
After reading a lot of posts I chose the JD CS62. It's still a little small for this particular tree but it's a really strong saw. I just wanted to thank everyone
for all the posts and say hey.

I've never run a johndeere saw personally but from what my boss says they are not that good of saws. They really dont compare to the rugged ness and reliablity of a stihl or husky saw. I would have gone for a ms 440 or a 372 both of which you could have gotten almost new off of ebay or locally. Thats just my two cents Good lucky with your john deere though

The CS 62 is a 62cc saw, the 440/372 are both 71cc saws. Yes they do weigh more, cost more, and have more power. The CS 62 is a rebadged Efco/Oleo-Mac. It is a good pro quality saw, just not encountered as often as Stihl or Husky, due to fewer dealers. Those have actually run one, not just heard from their buddy that it was no good, are actually quite happy with them as I'm sure you will be.

I have never seen a JD saw exept pictures on ebay. Please give us an update after bucking up that big maple.

The last time I went to the JD dealer, I looked at the saws, they look pretty well constructed, and I think they're not too bad looking either. I cant comment on performance as I havent used one, but the appearance is pretty good to me.

The Italian saws are just about as tough as you can get. I think you made a great choice.

DanManofStihl said:
I've never run a johndeere saw personally but from what my boss says they are not that good of saws. They really dont compare to the rugged ness and reliablity of a stihl or husky saw. I would have gone for a ms 440 or a 372 both of which you could have gotten almost new off of ebay or locally. Thats just my two cents Good lucky with your john deere though

I think you are way way off base Dan. While I have not run or even seen an Efco (JD), I have long wanted an Efco 962C. Someone here has a Dave Neiger modded one, and it is a winner. Several other folks swear it and the 956 are outstanding saws, every bit as pro caliber as the comparable Husky/Stihl pro saws, but priced a lot less.....Judging by published specs only the 962 outperforms the 357 in power and the 360 in power and weight and the 361 in power. Reports from users say it is about equal, so their power rating may be a bit high.
All the other Efcos, while likely also very good saws, appear to lag in their specifications.

52" tree and I read the specs for this saw as a 20" bar max?

What size bar did you get?

If 20" bar or less, I don't understand how you are going to buck a 52" tree?

Well I finished that butt log yesterday afternoon, it was alot of work! Yup a 20" bar was all I had. I did a lot of rip cutting which produced a huge pile of shavings. Just kind of chunked it up into bite size pieces. The saw performed great even at the crotch end which measured even wider. Quite a few boring cuts were involved also. So I quess technically it was not all bucking. I have no experience with a 440 or 372 but this saw really did a great job. It is really well made and has a great idling note.

That makes sense. I'll rip cut large blocks after I have bucked them, didn't think about doing this while it is still attached to the log.

And if it is doing the job for you, great! That's all I care about, can I get my work done in a reasonable amount of time with the tools I have. If yes, then no need for anything bigger - larger - more expensive.

Back