CS8000 questions / possible opportunity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This afternoon I made the two hour plus round trip and purchased at full asking price the Echo CS8000 that was in the trading post. Nice looking saw and nice former owner. I bought it with the intention of donating it to our local firewood ministry for wood lot duty. Being unfamiliar with Echo chainsaws beyond their bullet proof reputation, I thought the CS8000 was a fairly current saw and was surprised to find that this one is 27 years old. I have no problem with old saws as most of mine are pushing 40. I just want to hesitate putting this saw to the abuse of volunteers if it has collector value and/or parts are unavailable. If either is the case, I would consider parting with it to an Echo enthusiast instead. Not trying to profit, but also not intending to resale it to anyone intending to flip it. Other than seeing it up close (looks good) and feeling the compression (feels stout), anyone who checks out the trading post will know as much about the condition of the saw as me. To be considered, I must be convinced that you are an Echo enthusiast without intent to flip and that it would be foolish to subject this saw to wood lot duty.

Ron

The 800p on shelf's today is basically the same saw as that 8000. Only major differences I know of is the 8000 has dual transfers and flat top piston while the 800 has quad transfers and domed piston. The saw hasn't changed much in 30 years. 800 jug and piston on the 8000 is supposed to be good for a decent power gain. I would have bought that saw if he was willing to ship.IMG_20180122_150831.jpgI could use a bigger saw at the moment. I would donate it as you intended to most parts for the 800 will work on it and you can get them from a local dealer.

I had one for a while but put it up on Ebay and got rid of it. Decent running saw, but I didn't like the flat air filter set-up and the fact that you had to pry a rubber plug out to make carburetor adjustments. It was OK for power, not a high rpm design at all, more of a "mid-range" engine with decent grunt. The power curve was a bit narrow for my liking, and when you tried to lean it up for higher rpm's it stalled easily against the clutch so that's just the way it was going to be with that saw. Running it reminded me of the old Mac's that I cut my teeth on back in the 1970's. We cut firewood for three farm houses back then and sold firewood as well using a Mac 610 and 800. In 1980 we purchased two Husqvarna 480CD's and the Mac's were sent on down the road. Both of those 480CD's are still alive and doing well today, despite having at least a zillion hours on them!

Anyhow, I never found myself using the big Echo much, heavy and oiled the bar all the time. For big work I used a Husqvarna 181SE or 480CD instead and NEVER found myself reaching for the big Echo so I got rid of it.

Same exact story with the CS-6700 and both CS-670's that I had here. They were decent saws, built like a tank and very reliable, but if you have a Husqvarna 262XP and 268XP on the same shelf it's highly unlikely you'll reach for the Echo's when you are loading up the truck for a day in the woods........FWIW.......Cliff

Put me first in line if you decide to sell the saw. Would go nice with my 500 and 550.

Thanks for the replies. You have convinced me to let them give it a try. Slow and heavy is not a problem at the work lot. Dependable and rugged is what is needed. If it doesn't work out, I'll let Hanniedog know. Not to make him sad, but I looked it over tonight in the light. I believe it may have the original 24" bar and chain - used but sharp and ready to go. A really nice looking saw. Original receipt from 1990 shows he paid $600 cash for the saw and 24" bar. I looked on eBay last night, folks want between $500 and $600 for nice ones. Real good value retention in my book. Don't know what the unused 36" bar and chain cost.

Ron

Latest posts

Back