Cut me some locust today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjoe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I got a call today from the boss man. Says it'll be a while before i can start cutting timber on this new job So I decide to do the firewood thing. Went out and found me a few locust snags. Dry as a bone. I was a pretty happy guy. Locust is starting to become hard to find where I live.

black or honey locust? both are good wood, I heard black locust is harder to split? but Idk for sure. honey locust is my absolute favorite firewood. it burns hot and smells really good when burning.

black or honey locust? both are good wood, I heard black locust is harder to split? but Idk for sure. honey locust is my absolute favorite firewood. it burns hot and smells really good when burning.
I got some black locust. It is pretty hard to split but not bad with a splitter. It's is a very hard wood and does make excellent firewood. Very long lasting and hot burning.

I have around 80 cord BL in my stash, 90% split with a fiskars. The drier BL gets, the easier it splits. It is listed in wood charts for easy splitability. There is a problem starting a wedge or maul in a round though, many times they just bounce. A quick small kerf with a saw gives a spot to start a wedge. Usually I only have to wedge (or noodle) BL downsmall enough to pick up and then it is fiskars from there.

Not around here like it used to be, find it now along the edges of fields and roadways alot. I agree, I would just as soon burn Locust over about anything, if I could get enough.
The deer are bigger and the wood is more plentiful in Maryland. You don't have the competition that West Virginians have for these natural resources. When you speak of starting a fire in Maryland people have visions of torching a building in a riot or for insurance fraud purposes, and they want to give their over grown deer population birth control pills.

The "sparkles" are actually sand that the tree draws out of the ground. That's what makes it pop so much when ya burn it.
I always thought the popping was tiny amounts water trapped in the cells that turned to steam and exspanded when the wood is burned?

I only mix a little Locust in with other woods to keep me from having to open windows ...stuff makes heat like coal!

I always thought the popping was tiny amounts water trapped in the cells that turned to steam and exstended when burned?

I only mix a little Locust in with other woods to keep me from having to open wind

I suppose the popping would be from water if you burn wet wood but, all species will do that. When you superheat glass ie sand that is the popping from dry locust. The grains of sand also cause the sparks when you cut locust. Love locust but the dryer it is the harder on your chain.

Latest posts

Back