cut up a 40 inch honey locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
20140915_133032.jpg I removed a huge locust tree for a tree service guy I know. This stuff was heavy. I noodled the big rounds into quarters and used a hand dolly to load it. I think I will get 3.5 cords out of it. I dint want to haul my tractor 35 miles for 1 tree but it sure would have made it easier.
There will be alot of shorties and waste because his groundies cut alot of the smaller stuff into 24 inch lengths. Thankfully they didn't touch the main stem. I had 4 trailer loads and 4 truck loads.

It was big.. i actually rolled the first round onto the trailer whole. Managed this with 3 of them. The rest had one flat side to them and wouldn't roll. It took every once of energy i had to move them. And would never do it again that way.

We have 10-12 40" anyway at a local golf course. Cut one two winters ago. They are nasty with all the thorns too. Good wood and I agree it is heavy stuff

If it was to the OP, I apologize. I was referring to diameter

Where is the 40" dia. honey locust? Just thought I would ask. Any Pics? Were you referring to log lengths or the diameter? Just curious.
I will take a pic of the big rounds tomorrow. It started pouring when I took this pic. I quartered these with my saw. I believe the first round at the base was over 40 diameter. I know pics or it didn't happen. Which is exactly why I kept a couple intact.

I will take a pic of the big rounds tomorrow. It started pouring when I took this pic. I quartered these with my saw. I believe the first round at the base was over 40 diameter. I know pics or it didn't happen. Which is exactly why I kept a couple intact.
What logger saw did you use to drop this enormous tree? I'm guessing a Stihl 046 or larger with at least a 32" bar. Did you use your 461 or the 660? And, what firewood saw are you using to handle the tree's top?

What logger saw did you use to drop this enormous tree? I'm guessing a Stihl 046 or larger with at least a 32" bar. Did you use your 461 or the 660? And, what firewood saw are you using to handle the tree's top?
It sounds to me like the tree service guy he knows took down the tree and he is just removing the wood. Nice haul by the way!

I used my 066 with a 25 inch bar to cut the big stuff. I honestly wouldn't use a bigger bar than that. The tree service guys limbed it and chipped the branches. The climber cut most of the big limbs in 3-5 foot sections while in the tree. They dropped the 20 foot or so main trunk and left. I cut the rest to my desired lengths. I also have to go back tomorrow to get a few more logs and clean up my saw dust and noodles. So I could have brought my tractor after all with out making a extra trip to get it. The wood was free but I earned it.

That sure is pretty wood. I don't think there is any of that around here, least, I have never seen any. Does it have a distinctive smell to it?

nice score!!!! honey locust is my most favorite wood to burn. smells like burnt marshmallows when its burning. its really heavy when its freshly cut. and exactly the same weight a year later when you burn it.

Yeah, it smells like honey locust. Pretty much smells like green wood when cutting. Can't really compare it to anything. Put a bunch of green leaves in a blender chop them up and then smell them. That's what it smells like when cutting. Just smells green.

I cut 2 loads of honey locust last february and it is still not dry. Does anyone know how long it takes to dry?

That sure is pretty wood. I don't think there is any of that around here, least, I have never seen any. Does it have a distinctive smell to it?
Yes. Mix the smell of muratic acid along with some rot-gut bourbon and you'll have some idea. Burning it smells pretty good, but green it smells like crap ( or like gold depending on your perspective due to it's BTU output). It IS a PITA to handle/buck as you normally have to shave the tree with your saw (using the top of the bar to fling the thorns/spikes AWAY from you) but it splits nicely and when cured burns hotter than the shades of hell...

View attachment 368451 I removed a huge locust tree for a tree service guy I know. This stuff was heavy. I noodled the big rounds into quarters and used a hand dolly to load it. I think I will get 3.5 cords out of it. I dint want to haul my tractor 35 miles for 1 tree but it sure would have made it easier.
There will be alot of shorties and waste because his groundies cut alot of the smaller stuff into 24 inch lengths. Thankfully they didn't touch the main stem. I had 4 trailer loads and 4 truck loads.
Nice score BTW! The biggest one I've taken out in KS was approximately 27" diameter, but I've seen much bigger ones on golf courses and such where there is an abundance of water and fertilizer.

It IS a PITA to handle/buck as you normally have to shave the tree with your saw (using the top of the bar to fling the thorns/spikes AWAY from you)
!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!! get small hatchet, and 5 gal pail. trim what thorns you can reach to, and throw them in pail. knock tree down. then take same hatchet and pail, and trim rest of tree. throw thorns on top of brush pile for burning..thats how ive done it,,and get no thorns in shoes!!!.

Back