Cutting in high winds,any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on a job well done. After reading that I've determined you should put down the saws and start writing childrens books. Hope you don't take that as an insult, just seems like you can really put together an interesting story. Once again, congrats.

After following this thread I was starting to think the wind blew your butt to OZ and you were there getting drunk with the Tin Man and Dorthy. Good story gald to see you made it, those opossums must have felt like baby birds getting the regergated breakfast burritos.........MMMMMM......MMMMMM.

When I started reading I thought "Great, at least he made it out well enough to type." But as I was reading, it was almost like I forgot who wrote this and was afraid all over again that you died.

Nice and very well-written story. Glad it worked out.:rock:

DO IT AGAIN, :hmm3grin2orange:

Not on your life.Im sure I will feel different when I have a nice paycheck to stuff in my wallet,but in all honesty I lived that ride up in that tree all night last night.I am far to big of a guy to stuff up in a tree as it is,but in that kind of wind I felt like a rhino on top of a tooth pick.Common sense told me that the tree wasnt going to go on over with me in it,but my ass hairs were telling me something entirely different.Never been accused of listening to ass hairs before,but there are times when a guy really should.

Thanks for all of your support.Everyone.It has been nice to yack with you all about it,even though it was obvious that the majority of you thought it was not a good idea to try this one.

In all honesty, after it was all done and said,I realized that it was not worth it for one reason that I never thought of before.As I came closer to town and came in range of a cell tower, my phone started going off with voice mails and text messages.I pulled over and listened to the voice messages and read the texts.Most where from my wife who had to work all day and worry about me.While its nice to have someone who cares for you, the worry in her voice and the frantic text messages told me that she probably suffered more than I did.She knew I had no cell reception for the day,I had left contact info for the neighbor as well as GPS cordinates in the event she had to come look for me.
But at work Im sure she suffered enough to overcome her sense of the reality that I was unable to get her messages to call her and let her know that I was okay.And because of that,it wasnt worth it.

For now,it will be one to put down in the books to look back on as one of the adventures that will be fun to look back on in the years to come.As the years progress, the winds will turn to hurricane strength, the tree will grow in size, and the vultures circling about all day where really just waiting until they could get a shot at what was left of my breakfast.It will become one of my stories that I love to stretch to the point of not being believable,because that is what I do.

Mary,thank you for being the woman that you are,standing beside me through life's challenges,for being angry when I managed to call you on the way home,not counting the saws on the wall,and for putting up with me.You are indeed my better half, and I am truly sorry that I put you through this.It wont happen again.At least until next month.

bill the cat ? still laughing. The mental imagery of Headknocker, the neighborhood, bob-tailed, scarred up, one eared, tom cat will stick wiith me for a while, again.

Mary,thank you for being the woman that you are,standing beside me through life's challenges,for being angry when I managed to call you on the way home,not counting the saws on the wall,and for putting up with me.You are indeed my better half, and I am truly sorry that I put you through this.It wont happen again.At least until next month.

Nice sensitivity to the "better half". We wouldn't be half what we are without our wives ... spouses ... SO's. I'd shoot you some more rep, if I could. GOOD JOB!!! ... just kidding about the "DO IT AGAIN" part ... "At least until next month." :cheers:

Welcome back...and don't do that again, reminds of a chapter in Michener's 'the source'.

I think Avalancher needs to write a novel titled " The adventures of AVALANCHER and his trainee Woodheat4me"

Beefie:hmm3grin2orange:

As you can see from my date and post count I'm a lurker, rarely do I post. I part-time farm and get a lot of help with splitter and saw issues. To bad there isn't a fencing section. I would really hate to see Avalancher bite the big one as I always enjoy his posts. Please keep talking to the posters for advice as needed!

Good posts.. Thanks.. I kind of got here late so could not tell you not to do it.. but hey seems all went well despite the experiences gained! Well done.:chainsawguy:

Hey Avalancher? Maybe we should all pitch in for a video camera for you "for the next episode"! I got a chuckle about it now with the killer possums circling below and the "stupid turkey".:hmm3grin2orange: Seriously though, glad you're ok. Good write-up too!

Got one even better than that for you.A buddy of mine gave me a battery powered wireless camera,wants me to attach it to the top of a tree that I am doing next week and let it film the fall on the way down.I expained that the camera of coarse is probably going to get smashed,but seeing as how it sends the video feed wirelessly to a receiver it oughta be kinda cool really.He figures the cost of the camera,40 bucks,would be worth the footage.

Got one even better than that for you.A buddy of mine gave me a battery powered wireless camera,wants me to attach it to the top of a tree that I am doing next week and let it film the fall on the way down.I expained that the camera of coarse is probably going to get smashed,but seeing as how it sends the video feed wirelessly to a receiver it oughta be kinda cool really.He figures the cost of the camera,40 bucks,would be worth the footage.

You gotta post that!!!

Latest posts

Back