Cutting in high winds,any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you've got a time constraint, a contract that says "by 1600 Weds. or no $$$" ?
Have we got it straight ?

You're a smart guy, so think forces and trigonometry like space shots or artillery. A 2 ton cable up 20' on a __ ' tall tree. Then add the moment arm
(length of force ) @ 50+ mph gusts in "foot-pounds". Just off the top off my dumba$$ brain :givebeer:, that's some weight way up there to hold some dinky cable, held by an even dinkier holding point. And it will all be in motion.

Then there's this tiny tiny wood hinge that may or may not hold with all that sway. Then you got "direction of fall" aimed where you think it will go. Then another gust = more ft-lbs moving the mother where you don't want it.

Just say "no". Hey, we could take up a collection here to beat the silly 'customer' putting silly constraints on you. $$ is worth the risk ?

And all for a "view" :dizzy::dizzy:. We want this gibone's name, SS#, tel, address. Some winner. :buttkick:

JMNSHO

So you've got a time constraint, a contract that says "by 1600 Weds. or no $$$" ?
Have we got it straight ?

You're a smart guy, so think forces and trigonometry like space shots or artillery. A 2 ton cable up 20' on a __ ' tall tree. Then add the moment arm
(length of force ) @ 50+ mph gusts in "foot-pounds". Just off the top off my dumba$$ brain :givebeer:, that's some weight way up there to hold some dinky cable, held by an even dinkier holding point. And it will all be in motion.

Then there's this tiny tiny wood hinge that may or may not hold with all that sway. Then you got "direction of fall" aimed where you think it will go. Then another gust = more ft-lbs moving the mother where you don't want it.

Just say "no". Hey, we could take up a collection here to beat the silly 'customer' putting silly constraints on you. $$ is worth the risk ?

And all for a "view" :dizzy::dizzy:. We want this gibone's name, SS#, tel, address. Some winner. :buttkick:

JMNSHO
why would you in extreme weather anyway it could wait your not getting paid double for an emergency

I don't want to be telling you your business. You're going to do what you're going to do. Your being sleep deprived isn't going to help, so I do hope you come to terms with this and can get a good night's rest.

I'd forgotten about why the tight timeframe. Went back and found this

Not to be morose, but if you get hurt up there, that'll cast a bigger pall over the party than an impeded view caused by some trees that have shed their leaves. And that'd be a damn shame just because some rich dude didn't have enough aforesight to plan far enough ahead.

You're married to a good gal, and it sounds like your daughters love their dad. And its what you've got at home that compels you to take this gig. Understandable.

Hope to see you back postin on Thursday.

Hey Avalancher, I think you really have Woodbooga worried........That would make me pause and reevaluate. I mean with your luck and all......

Ordinarily I would never cut in high winds...well I don't even go into the woods when it's windy. To easy to get impaled.

Anyway a few years ago I had this big swale hole project and I had these huge forked trees I kept avoiding cause of their size and the worry of them becoming hangers.

...btw every tree for this project I tied off 20' feet up to get a favorable lean...it took a couple 3 years @ a couple of trees a day.

Anyways a stiff wind finally presented an opportunity I couldn't resist. The leafed trees acted like a giant sail in the desired direction so I quickly cut the trees in question and got out of the woods.

I don't mind admitting that being in the woods when it's windy scares me a bit.

Wanna hear something really friggin hilarious?
I just got off the phone with some guy that I gave an estimate to 2 weeks ago about a tree.14DBH oak hanging close to their house, good bit of rot in the canopy.They wanted it removed before it fell in high winds and got their house.I gave him a good price too.Never heard from him until today.

He wanted to know if I could come out there right now and take that tree.I explained that we are having sustained winds of 45mph, with 60mph gusts and that it wasnt possible.He said,"I know,thats what I am worried about!Its going to get my house! Cant you tie a rope around it and pull it away from the house?"

Meanwhile the tin from my neighbors house 200yds away managed to work through the woods and slam into my shop.......

Trust me,if there was anyone around me that could handle this,I would drag him along.I have made a dozen phone calls to friends that know what they are doing,but they are pretty busy with storm cleanup right now. The rest said, "um, Del Rio?Up on that mountain?Are you friggin crazy?Its ten degrees up there and blowing to beat the band.Wait until this weather settles down."

arent you glad i dont live closer to ya??? challenges i like--and have two cs winches for just such projects. been there myself--dang!!

Don't do it till the winds settle down avalancher...we'll all miss reading your thoughtful 1st person perspectives.

arent you glad i dont live closer to ya??? challenges i like--and have two cs winches for just such projects. been there myself--dang!!

Get in that truck and head south.I'll have the wife make us a good dinner and deliver it on site!And plenty of cold ones when we are done.I would welcome your company!

So did you decide to wait and drop them tomorrow?

yeah,still high winds expected,but less than today.We are having the mother of all wind storms today, gusts in the 70mph range.Tomorrow its supposed to slow to 30mph,but sadly that only gives me one day to get both trees gone.Gonna be an all nighter i reckon.

I was reading your post and seen that you are going to drop them across the drive way are you going to bridge the drive or take the risk on cracking it just another thing to worry about sorry but you do want to get paid.

yeah,still high winds expected,but less than today.We are having the mother of all wind storms today, gusts in the 70mph range.Tomorrow its supposed to slow to 30mph,but sadly that only gives me one day to get both trees gone.Gonna be an all nighter i reckon.

you best be gettin gas oil saws chains and things ready.

I was reading your post and seen that you are going to drop them across the drive way are you going to bridge the drive or take the risk on cracking it just another thing to worry about sorry but you do want to get paid.

The driveway is gravel,nothing to crack.

Bets are on boys and girls.:givebeer:

Mr. Skeptic here :cry: has the lower body feeling that Msr. Avalancher is pulling our collective legs once again .:jawdrop: Do we have boots on the ground in Tennessee from AS ?

Hello Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.......come in. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, come in. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Bets are on boys and girls.

I'll give 2:1 that he lives, but is wounded.

Mr. Skeptic here :cry: has the lower body feeling that Msr. Avalancher is pulling our collective legs once again

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Do you really think he has the intestinal fortitude to carry a joke this far?:mad:

Bets are on boys and girls.:givebeer:

Mr. Skeptic here :cry: has the lower body feeling that Msr. Avalancher is pulling our collective legs once again .:jawdrop: Do we have boots on the ground in Tennessee from AS ?

Hello Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.......come in. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, come in. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Not sure what to say here,kinda insulted that you would think that I am pulling your leg here.I started this thread because I have little experience in take downs in high winds and to be honest with you havent slept much this week stressing about this job.Just wanted everyones input on the subject and was hoping you all would have some tricks in the bag when it comes to dealing with big timber in high winds.
Thought I would log on this morning before I left,the winds have calmed a good bit, but still expecting winds in the 30mph area up on the mountain.Ill let you skeptics know tomorrow morning how things went.

You all may think Im stupid, crazy,insane, or all of the above,but in reality when a man offers me a months worth of income to take down and haul away two trees when work has been hard to come by it is a little more than I can resist.

If you never hear from me again,then I guess youll know that things didnt go as I planned.Thanks to all of you that have supported me in this venture, and to the skeptics......
Well,sorry that my sense of humor in the past has made you willing to question my integrity.

Have a great day everyone.

Good luck Bub!

Take some pics and report back.

Just remember that if it looks too hairy at the last Min., nothing says ya gotta keep goin' to find out why the hair on your ass is standing up.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back