Cutting in high winds,any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped a ton of trees last week with another AS member in 55mph gusts. Wasn't the smartest move but we did it as safe as possible. Almost all the trees were oak and there were already over the hill and all had to be skid out.

Get a pulley for you winch and make it 2:1 then you have increased your mechanical advantage.

Be safe!

Go ahead and do it. The wind will only help. There's no danger at all, and you'll be just fine. These other guys don't know what they're talking about.

(Woodbooga, remember I want his 372 and the 455 for posting this.) ;)
Well, here's one other possible strategy:
(1) Make sure wind is blowing at least 30 mph steady with 50 mph gusts.
(2) Make sure tree is leaning away from the prevailing direction of the wind.
(3) Make sure you can stand still and can hold the saw steady while wind is blowing. Lean hard against wind to accomplish this mission.
(4) Make sure you have plenty of health insurance and have no fear of pain.
(5) Light a cigarette in advance of the cuts to give you plenty of confidence in what you are doing. The smoke will be blown free of your eyes.
(6) Keep the cell phone handy in case you need to call 911.

Proceed as normal. :blob2:

Last edited:
Well, here's one other possible strategy:
(1) Make sure wind is blowing it at least 30 mph steady with 50 mph gusts.
(2) Make sure tree is leaning away from the prevailing direction of the wind.
(3) Make sure you can stand still and can hold the saw steady while wind is blowing. Lean hard against wind to accomplish this mission.
(4) Make sure you have plenty of health insurance and have no fear of pain.
(5) Light a cigarette in advance of the cuts to give you plenty of confidence in what you are doing. The smoke will be blown free of your eyes.
(6) Keep the cell phone handy in case you need to call 911.

Proceed as normal. :blob2:

1.Not a problem,wind is forecast for just that.
2.Gonna be a problem.I have to drop the tree into the wind.
3.Im gonna wear my bicycle shorts and shirt,less wind drag.
4.Im fully insured,and the ER folks already know me.I even have my own coffe cup there.As far as pain,ive gotten used to constantly being in pain from something.
5.Im trying to quit,only allow myself 4 a day,although this day might test the waters so to speak.
6.No cell reception where Im at,way up in the boonies.I am however reading "Indian smoke signals in the modern world" by Woodbooga himself.

Since wind is your friend, may we recommend :

1. a minimum of two ( 2 ) rolls of toilet paper:jawdrop:

2. A spare pair of double knee Carhartts.:mad:

3. An extra set of Haines' boxers. :givebeer:

Now, let us pray.................

Cutting in high winds - Don't!

Around here high winds means get the heck out of there and go home. I know someone who was stuck up in the forest during a wind storm once. Trees were falling all around him, one fell on his truck and smashed it.

He said he was running around there like a chicken with its head cut off! (Trying to keep away from falling limbs and trees...)

safety third

I'd just like to strongly support the;
My tip for cutting in high winds....DON'T

guys here.

==========

Sometimes I wonder if a stray college kid raising a ruckus wanders by and posts something just to get a rise.

=======

Perhaps, to make it safe let's pull the tree over with a helicopter in high winds?

If you are concerned about the winch not having enough pull tie a second rope to your truck.Put the pressure on the truck rope 1st then tighten up the winch.You only get 1 chance to drop the tree and spending 20 min to set a 2nd rope sounds better than 4hrs of dragging wood. Good luck,and trust your instinct.

if you're going to do it, you might put two guy-lines perpendicular to the fall to help stabilize the lateral forces on the hinge.

Why not take someone with you for the day. Your wife can sit in the truck with the heater running. Put them both down early in the morning.

Are there other trees that could blow over on you while you work?

Don't fall them in high wind.

I wouldn't want a lift in those conditions.

Hey avalancher it sounds like you should get your project woodheat4me from Atlanta to come over and help for the day. Bet he could learn alot on a job like this.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Like 1 poster said - is there any way to position your winch AND another solid anchor to the NORTH of the tree so you can rig a block to the tree? (you did need to drop it to the North IIRC)

Last edited:
This is what I have decided to do.
The winds are going to be too high tomorrow, gusts are suppose to now be in the mid 50s, 30 plus sustained.Winds on Thursday which were supposed to be better and from the south are now on friday,but Ive got a plan
Im going to rig a heavy 1/2 inch wire cable from a nearby tree,pull it up into the tree with the winch and tie it off.I have a heavy ratchet for cable that will hold a load but not pull,force is to great by hand.

pull a second line into the tree using a heavy bull rope,attach to winch.cut the base most of the way,pull with the winch.take up the slack with the ratchet on the steel cable and keep switching back and forth between the winch and the ratchet.From the weather forecast, looks like I am still going to have to pull that tree into the wind running at thirty miles an hour.I am going to pack a generator with some lights, there is no way I can have that tree down,cut up, and gone before dark. The area must be clean with no traces of the tree before 11am on Friday or I wont be paid. One of those double or nothing kind of things.

This is what I have decided to do.
The winds are going to be too high tomorrow, gusts are suppose to now be in the mid 50s, 30 plus sustained.Winds on Thursday which were supposed to be better and from the south are now on friday,but Ive got a plan
Im going to rig a heavy 1/2 inch wire cable from a nearby tree,pull it up into the tree with the winch and tie it off.I have a heavy ratchet for cable that will hold a load but not pull,force is to great by hand.

pull a second line into the tree using a heavy bull rope,attach to winch.cut the base most of the way,pull with the winch.take up the slack with the ratchet on the steel cable and keep switching back and forth between the winch and the ratchet.From the weather forecast, looks like I am still going to have to pull that tree into the wind running at thirty miles an hour.I am going to pack a generator with some lights, there is no way I can have that tree down,cut up, and gone before dark. The area must be clean with no traces of the tree before 11am on Friday or I wont be paid. One of those double or nothing kind of things.

its like what i said first remember i still think you better bring a helper or this will take to long

Hey avalancher it sounds like you should get your project woodheat4me from Atlanta to come over and help for the day. Bet he could learn alot on a job like this.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Thats the last thing I would need, a newbie around asking stupid questions while a 30 ton tree is swaying around above his head on a cable.I havent slept a wink all week worrying about this job.If it wasnt for the time constraint and bad weather I wouldnt mind the company.My wife has already quite talking to me figuring I have slipped a cog for sure.But, hey, you gotta make a living somehow and I have always enjoyed a good challenge.

its like what i said first remember i still think you better bring a helper or this will take to long

Trust me,if there was anyone around me that could handle this,I would drag him along.I have made a dozen phone calls to friends that know what they are doing,but they are pretty busy with storm cleanup right now. The rest said, "um, Del Rio?Up on that mountain?Are you friggin crazy?Its ten degrees up there and blowing to beat the band.Wait until this weather settles down."

I don't want to be telling you your business. You're going to do what you're going to do. Your being sleep deprived isn't going to help, so I do hope you come to terms with this and can get a good night's rest.

I'd forgotten about why the tight timeframe. Went back and found this

The owner was willing to pay the big bucks if its gone by Wednesday, seems he is having some big party up there on Friday, and the trees are blocking his "view" of the valley below.

Not to be morose, but if you get hurt up there, that'll cast a bigger pall over the party than an impeded view caused by some trees that have shed their leaves. And that'd be a damn shame just because some rich dude didn't have enough aforesight to plan far enough ahead.

You're married to a good gal, and it sounds like your daughters love their dad. And its what you've got at home that compels you to take this gig. Understandable.

Hope to see you back postin on Thursday.

Latest posts

Back