Cutting in the snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but for the last few days we've had about 2 feet of snow around here (Virginia) and I've been cutting some deadwood behind the house. When bucking the felled wood, the bar ends up in the snow. Is this a good? bad? indifferent? thing? As long as the bar oil is not water soluble, I'm not sure why it would make any difference. Clutck, sprocket, chainbrake getting wet? Any thoughts?

I don't care for putting the bar in snow because the snow gets inside the clutch cover and congeals the bar oil and everything gets gunked and clogged in there and is a big mess to clean. Running winter viscosity bar oil (blue Stihl bottle) minimizes this tendency.

Can't overemphasize being in good balance and good footing.

Slipping with a chainsaw running will get the heart beating faster and hopefully that's all!

Cutting in the snow is over-rated. It's not that much fun.

Long story made short. Years ago, there were about six of us cutting in the snow. We took a lunch break and a couple of the guys started making a snow-man.

One thing led to another, and the snow-man had a saw placed in his hand and was positioned so that he was cutting a snow covered log on the ground.

This was long ago, way before the advent of the digital camera. I took some pics with a Polaroid camera. They turned out great and the saw-man looked cool as could be.

Sounds kind of corny, but you kind of had to be there.

I had to deal with cutting in the snow last few weeks. After you are done place the saws somewhere warm or do like my boss and leave them in the back of a pick up and allow them to freeze.. then you need pull the chains and chip out the ice and thaw out the air filters. Some even had the control switch frozen LOL

Long story made short. Years ago, there were about six of us cutting in the snow. We took a lunch break and a couple of the guys started making a snow-man.

One thing led to another, and the snow-man had a saw placed in his hand and was positioned so that he was cutting a snow covered log on the ground.

This was long ago, way before the advent of the digital camera. I took some pics with a Polaroid camera. They turned out great and the saw-man looked cool as could be.

Sounds kind of corny, but you kind of had to be there.
Pix or it didn't happen :)

Seriously though, scan maybe? Sounds like a hoot.

We use a leaf blower to blow light snow off and around logs to be cut. Small logs are rolled up and out of the dirt with a log stand cant hook. My guys drop standing timber onto cross logs to keep them up out of the snow and ice.

Me too!

A little snow story for ya. We were cutting in a pine thinning in about 2.5' to 3' foot of snow. So at the end of the day one of the cutters got the bright idea to shovel out the bases of the trees so he would not have to do it as he cut them, head start on everybody else! That night we got one of our clipper systems with lake effect afterward. The nice little bowl he made at the base of the trees with the piled up snow around it blew in with snow so it was about 4' deep now!!! He did not have a very good attitude the rest of the day. That was 20 years ago when we actually got snow, kinda like this year that everybody is fussing about. CJ

I had to deal with cutting in the snow last few weeks. After you are done place the saws somewhere warm or do like my boss and leave them in the back of a pick up and allow them to freeze.. then you need pull the chains and chip out the ice and thaw out the air filters. Some even had the control switch frozen LOL
We put the saws in the cab with us and always turn the switch back on after shutting the saw off.

Pix or it didn't happen :)

Seriously though, scan maybe? Sounds like a hoot.

I'd have to dig long and hard to find those pics. I have like five foot-lockers that I keep stuff in.

Even if I did find them, I'd be hard-pressed to post um on this forum. Just not computer savvy enough.

Even if I did find them, I'd be hard-pressed to post um on this forum. Just not computer savvy enough.
That's what kids are good for! The younger they are, the more they know about technology.

Back