Cutting in the snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
j
I had to deal with cutting in the snow last few weeks. After you are done place the saws somewhere warm or do like my boss and leave them in the back of a pick up and allow them to freeze.. then you need pull the chains and chip out the ice and thaw out the air filters. Some even had the control switch frozen LOL
just happened to me my trigger got frozen wide open lol

I've had the bar buried in water on a couple occasion's........short term's won't hurt nothing...get it up every so often.....keep popping it till it starts throwing oil off the bar tip. Like mentioned.....blow it out good before puttin it up.

This may seem like a stupid question, but for the last few days we've had about 2 feet of snow around here (Virginia) and I've been cutting some deadwood behind the house. When bucking the felled wood, the bar ends up in the snow. Is this a good? bad? indifferent? thing? As long as the bar oil is not water soluble, I'm not sure why it would make any difference. Clutck, sprocket, chainbrake getting wet? Any thoughts?
2 feet of snow in Virginia!?! Go inside for a day or two and let melt.... Continue cutting.

Snow won't hurt a thing. I spend 8hrs a day cutting and skidding in anywhere from 6in to 3.5 ft of snow. No issues as far as saws go. Staying warm and dry is different story

Up here if there isn't snow on the ground I don't even feel like starting the saw. Winter means wood cuttin time or clearing trap line trails etc.image.jpg

Great pic, man. Beautiful countryside up there.

Latest posts

Back