Da Story of the Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
I'm sure all you guys at one time or another come across things you just can't believe. Today around 9am a man walked in my door to pick up his 066 Mag that he dropped off last week. Had fried his cylinder. The saw was 4 years old and he says he only used it one time when he first got it and asked was the repair covered under warranty. I said nope, it was four years ago though. According to him he put the saw aside and it had sat for 4 years before he brought it in for repair. Somehow I just could not feel his pain but I could sure see it in his face. Moral of this story is simple, if it breaks, fix it, now, not 4 years from now. This one will be added to my collection of "true
head shakers" for sure.

Since when did Stihl warranty ever cover running a saw on straight gas? 4 years or 4 hours, no difference. The guy knew he was wrong 4 years ago, that's why it got set aside instead of returned that day. But people have 'convenient memories' and many will say whatever necessary in order to extract the desired reply.

skwerl said:
Since when did Stihl warranty ever cover running a saw on straight gas? 4 years or 4 hours, no difference. The guy knew he was wrong 4 years ago, that's why it got set aside instead of returned that day. But people have 'convenient memories' and many will say whatever necessary in order to extract the desired reply.

So true Sk, exactly what I was thinking too. Made no nevermind to me though. He just looked at me all strange when I said yeah, it was covered 4 years ago, I almost had to turn away to hide my grin from him. His pocket is a mights more empty tonite.............

I guy bought in an 026 last Friday - "low power". Hmmm, tank full of fresh straight gas. I called him with the $300 repair quote, gently suggested he'd run it on straight gas, and he cut me off - "YEAH YEAH, I kNOW, just fix it". Usually I'd get a bunch of whining and a request for a fat trade-in (not) on a new saw...

Lakeside53 said:
I guy bought in an 026 last Friday - "low power". Hmmm, tank full of fresh straight gas. I called him with the $300 repair quote, gently suggested he'd run it on straight gas, and he cut me off - "YEAH YEAH, I kNOW, just fix it". Usually I'd get a bunch of whining and a request for a fat trade-in (not) on a new saw...

The customer is never wrong Lake, didn't you know that? They do no wrong,haha. One thing is for certain in the saw repair business the customer is wrong more often than not and most time the tech can prove it. Will say however customers like my 4 year no show buddy sure does make my day at times, gotta lovem.................

Hey guys here is a story for y'all-

My dad put straight gas into a saw.

ON 3 DIFFERENT SAWS!!!!!

"but here is where the oil goes!...."

On 2 of them I was able to get to the saw before any damage happened, I was inside and heard the saw fire up, knew it was out of gas and also knew we had not mixed up any so I hauled ass outside.

The last one also managed to survive somehow, I think he only had a limb to lop off or something. Same thing, I knew we were out of gas so I asked him where he got the gas from. "Well from the gas can of course!...."

Us kids started hiding the saws when we ran out of saw gas.

But heres where the oil goes.....

attachment.php
On that note, I picked up a new old crapsman/poulan saw this spring for $5.00. the guy said he bought it and used it twice the first year, mixed his gas the next spring and the darn thing wouldnt run at all.

I asked what mix he used and he replied "I dont know mix ratios I just poured one of those little bottles in the tank like I do with the boat and topped the saw off with gas.......:dizzy:

After I cleaned the tank of its 50/50 mix and pulled the cord, oh, fifty times or so,the saw fired and runs like new. :D

Last edited:
RaisedByWolves said:
I asked what mix he used and he replied "I dont know mix ratios I just poured one of those little bottles in the tank like I do with the boat and topped the saw off with gas.......:dizzy:

Ha! get about 1 per couple of months like that! Had one that was using MIX oil for BAR oil. Complained like crazy about the price and I only figured out what he was talking about when he wanted it by the 5 gallon bucket.

Sounds to me like there needs to be a training day requirement for people who buys saws that have never used them before. Kinda like what they have for ATV's.
Course that might cut down on the repair business.lol:laugh:

It is really amazing (say unbelievable)to hear such stories...

but my dad also comes to see me regularly to check his chainsaw for bad starting. His mix preparation is also judged by the eye, along with the comment that plenty of fuel oil is surely good for the saw ! :dizzy:
it comes with age, I think.:D

I work in downtown St. Louis and the things that I see like this are amazing!
A couple of my friends who are city cops have even better stories to tell!
One example: A guy (regular customer) brings in a saw that won't cut and asks if I will have someone look at it and see what is wrong with it. The mechanic I had look at it came to me about 5 min into it and said that he was mixing the gas with 90 wt GEAR OIL! He showed me what he had drained out of the tank and it looked like maple syrup!:blob2:
Anyway, cleaned it, tuned it, etc... gave him a six pack of 2 cycle oil and it works fine now.
Funny thing is though, the guy teaches science at one of the better high schools in the area.:dizzy:
FWIW
Andy1234

Andy1234 said:
Funny thing is though, the guy teaches science at one of the better high schools in the area.:dizzy:
FWIW
Andy1234

Andy, my f-i-l is a retired Phd chemist who developed many important formulas & has more patents than I've had hot meals. He is a total klutz when it comes to tools of any kind.

Chris J. said:
Andy, my f-i-l is a retired Phd chemist who developed many important formulas & has more patents than I've had hot meals. He is a total klutz when it comes to tools of any kind.

My f-i-l is an MD and a talented surgeon. But, oh, the power tools he can ruin! I don't let him alone w/ my anvil!

To his credit, he's pretty particular about gas mix.

I loaned my chipper/shredder to a guy I thought was savvy. He called me and said it was making a noise and looked like a "spacer" was missing. There sure was. The ball bearing on one side had disintegrated. He was trying to shred the screen.

Harry K

You guys are cracking me up. I would like to say that I am surprised, but people never cease to amaze me. I am new to working on saws, and relatively new to running saws myself. However, I have been around saws my whole life. I have spent untold hours in the woods with my grandfather (God rest his soul) cutting either fire wood, or pulp/post wood and picked up most of my saw knowledge from him. Working with him was a constant education on saws even though I was not running one. He explained a lot to me and taught me how to maintain a saw.

Couple that with the fact I have ridden motorcycles from the age of six and I have at least a decent background in what not to do with two stroke engines.

Keep the stories coming. I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this site.

Back