Damaged saw protocol?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point of honor to me.

I break another mans equipment even if he offered it up, especially out of ignorance. I am going to offer to replace, or pay the cost. Everybody has different takes on it. Just my point of view only.

Sorry if it sounded like I was busting you balls, I wasn't really.
I was giving my take on the situation you wanted opinions on, and with
the little info given, I just assumed your friend was not that skilled
with bringing down trees, and I asked about safety equipment, and such,
not trying to be an ass, but I was really curious. I deal with a large
number of customers that shouldn't even be using a saw, and I always
try to help and advise them of saws use, and their inherent dangers.

Usually such questions and/or advice are not welcomed, but I do it anyway.

So with your permission, I will update my AS signature.

When I cut, I always keep a spare junk bar and chain behind the seat,
and so I can use it if I should get my good bar/chain stuck, I just
unbolt the chainsaw from the stuck bar/chain, and bolt on the junk one
to free the good one.

Also, loaning equipment and money is a good way to end friendships.

I have always been the one doing the loaning too. If they tear it up without
paying for it, or without repaying their loan, I never see them again, with
some of them, it is worth it...

I have a "friend" that only pops up whrn he needs something. Last winter I let him borrow (going against one of my rules) a push plate for a Fisher snow plow in the middle is a storm. He cut the bolts off to get it off, cut the stop tabs on the side plates, and then twisted the push plate while he was using it, and he only used it once! Four months later he still hadn't returned it, so i had to seek him out to get it back. I noticed it was twisted and mentioned it. His response, "you'll never use it anyway". I walked away before I said anything. About a month later he called up and wanted to borrow a chainsaw. I told him that I hadn't had time to fix the last thing he borrowed and I wouldn't have time to rebuild a saw if I loaned it to him. He muttered something and hung up the phone. Haven't heard from him since.

I have a "friend" that only pops up whrn he needs something. Last winter I let him borrow (going against one of my rules) a push plate for a Fisher snow plow in the middle is a storm. He cut the bolts off to get it off, cut the stop tabs on the side plates, and then twisted the push plate while he was using it, and he only used it once! Four months later he still hadn't returned it, so i had to seek him out to get it back. I noticed it was twisted and mentioned it. His response, "you'll never use it anyway". I walked away before I said anything. About a month later he called up and wanted to borrow a chainsaw. I told him that I hadn't had time to fix the last thing he borrowed and I wouldn't have time to rebuild a saw if I loaned it to him. He muttered something and hung up the phone. Haven't heard from him since.

Sounds like one of my brother-in-laws.....

I don't think the fella mentioned above is much of a FRIEND, More like a user. Like it's been said on here before I don't mind lending say .... a Hammer, but My saw that baby keeps me warm in the winter. No way.

dont agree with the difference 'borrowing' and 'offering'

It is all so sensible because of $$$$.

Example

we are best friends

- i am cold and you offer me your timbersport fleece (which is your favourite) i take it and back home my dog eats it.

I buy you another one immediately.

Thread would go direction emotional value that is lost because you won it on a saw competition while the $$$ point is not as important (everybody can replace a 100$ fleece).

other side

- I offer you to drive my $$$.$$$ ferrari and inform you that my insurance only covers me as driver....

would you take it for a spin???

so why with a chainsaw you say yes ????

A chainsaw as a lot of equipment is in many cases just above monthly income level and therefore that hard to have and why a lot of people dont have it. But price is realistic and therefore a lot of people dont mind or think about it enough before they borrow or accept an offering.

If they take it in their hands they should realize that if it breaks it is as hard for you as it is for them to replace it and therefore also cover it if it dies in their hands.

I have weekly requests for using my horsetrailer. My simple answer is: insurance or not, if you crash it, will you buy me another one the next day or is that a financial problem for you? if so, think about what your answer would be.

:cheers:

That doesn't just sound like my BIL, it is my BIL.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Dean. Considering everything, (angled back cut) and the fact you asked him if he wanted to use your saw, I would say it's your responsibility. However if I were him I'd offer to help you out with the repairs or I would buy u a new saw.

Best of luck Andy.

Back