Damn Raccoons Keep Crapping On My Woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had raccoons around my house forever, but I've never had them crap on my wood. Now every day they leave me new present on top of a row of Bradford Pear that I have in my woodshed. My shed is covered, but has no walls on three sides. The strange part is they only crap on the Pear. I also have Oak, Cherry, Locust and Ash and none of those gets poop on them. Is there something in the Pear that makes them want to take a dump on it? I don't know for sure it's coons, but I'm pretty sure it is since we have tons of them around. Two of my neighbors have cats that are outside sometimes, so???????? I've ordered a motion sensor light fixture that I'm hoping will scare away whatever it is.

All animals are creatures of habit and they like to feel safe and comfortable. Pooping can be an assertion of territory. You gotta take what is yours back. Maybe it's not the 'coons?

bright lights, loud noises, uncomfortable footing...many things can keep them at bay.

you have to scare the **** out of them once or twice. Perhaps you might have to even kill one or two. A pellet gun would be kinda cruel, no? You need something bigger I think.

Only one way to fix this... You have to take back what's yours. Much like competing dogs marking tires you need to beat that coon to the woodpile and dump on it first. It's gotta be a good one though. You want that coon to see it and say "Wow! That's a monster log. I'm not screwing around in here anymore!" :)

We had several foxes that were very tame up here. Seems to be only one left now. If you leave him food and he can’t eat all of it, he’ll **** right next to it and come back to eat the rest later.

Interesting to hear raccoons do that. I’d put up a game camera to see for sure.

All the wood shed trespassers get evicted, save the Robin that nests there each spring. Shes gone fast enough and doesnt crap all over the wood. Squirrels are my nemesis around here, although the coons would get the same treatment if one of them moved in. And the motion light trick only works for so long. I have one in the shed amd one that points toward the house for getting wood in at night. They get used to it after a wile, and then it seems to help them.

I was going to say you have to build them their own out house.. Seriously, some say you can repel garden critters with a spray of hot sauce. Buy the cheap $1 bottle of hot sauce and put an ounce in a 16 oz spray bottle and fill with water. Spray on the wood pile. I don't know if it'll work, but worth a try. As others said, 22 works best. But in my area, you can't shoot rifles. I had coons on my deck and I turn the light on to scare them away. It didn't do a thing. Had to stomp my feet and charge them to get rid of them for good

The problem with killing the resident pests (who in this case are merely pooping on some wood) is that sometimes a far more destructive family (yes they are always families and generations of same) will move in to the suddenly available territory to wreak havoc; like perhaps getting into far more valuable things. The best strategy is to change their behaviour by scaring them out of the wood shed. It sounds like the current coon family isn't really that bad of a nuisance compared to what coons can be. Me knowing a decent amount about wildlife behaviour but not necessarily raccoons...

Latest posts

Back