Looking for advice on a saw...Keep my 365 or go to 562xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the latest is I picked up a skip tooth from the shop for the 28" bar, thinking after I'm done with the big stuff, sending it out for some mods is really sounding like the way to fly.

That would be my suggestion for the time being, much cheaper and a ported 365/372 is definitely a serious chip maker and will pull a 28" full-comp, a 32 full-comp and I would bet a 36 semi-skip,(definitely a full skip) only question is will the oiler keep up on a 36" bar or not. kind of depends on the wood you are cutting, though their are mods you can make to the oiler as well for more flow.

I would send to one of the currently well known big boys like Carl Miller (millermodsaws, or Brad Snelling (bsnelling) or Randy "El Chicken legs" (treemonkey). these three are a the top of their games (there are others,some better some worse) but these guys all charge a reasonable price for a good product with a well documented list of clients for reference . any of the three could also do the oiler mods as well so you could kill two birds and run a 36" on it and smile in a way that would scare your more gentile neighbors.

That would be my suggestion for the time being, much cheaper and a ported 365/372 is definitely a serious chip maker and will pull a 28" full-comp, a 32 full-comp and I would bet a 36 semi-skip,(definitely a full skip) only question is will the oiler keep up on a 36" bar or not. kind of depends on the wood you are cutting, though their are mods you can make to the oiler as well for more flow.

I would send to one of the currently well known big boys like Carl Miller (millermodsaws, or Brad Snelling (bsnelling) or Randy "El Chicken legs" (treemonkey). these three are a the top of their games (there are others,some better some worse) but these guys all charge a reasonable price for a good product with a well documented list of clients for reference . any of the three could also do the oiler mods as well so you could kill two birds and run a 36" on it and smile in a way that would scare your more gentile neighbors.

They oil a 36 just fine, a stock will pull a semi skip square 36 so so not something I preferred doing that much. Some to consider before porting what are your guys fire rules? We get caught setting a fire on industrial lands basically anything timber well running a saw it will be the first they they will look at, if ported you will be out the complete bill for the fire fighting cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just cutting wood in my yard, I'm fortunate to have a tree service that drops logs for free so I usually dont cut anywhere else.

I have a pre xtorq 365 and a 562xp.

They're both great saws, the 562 is lighter, smoother and easier to run all day to me.

That being said I wouldn't get rid of a 365 to get a 562 as they make about the same power. I've run my buddies xtorq 365 and I think it would out cut my 365 in bigger would wood for sure.

My 562 will run a longer bar but mines happiest with a 20" on it.

I would never run a 28” on my 562.

24” max in my opinion.

So keep your saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying it's ideal, but I've run a 28" full skip semi-chisel through Doug Fir with no problems and no noticed increased load on the saw (in full wood on a 32"+ log). I definitely wouldn't attempt it in hardwood, at least not falling or long-term, though i did once have to rip a madrone stump with it that was awkardly shaped (4' diameter or so, but we rolled it up on its side to get better angle.)

24" full-comp semi-chisel on one 562xpw, and a 20" full-comp semi-chisel on the 562xp is how i generally keep my two. Both are STOCK

Myself feel like the bottom ends on the 562s are nowhere near as tough as a 365/372. I see so many more crank bearings bad on them at much less hours then the 3xx saws. But thinking back I see alot less bad bearings on 2xx saws vs 3xx saws. So maybe it's a trend????. I would keep the 365 do some mods yourself and run it.

Myself feel like the bottom ends on the 562s are nowhere near as tough as a 365/372. I see so many more crank bearings bad on them at much less hours then the 3xx saws. But thinking back I see alot less bad bearings on 2xx saws vs 3xx saws. So maybe it's a trend????. I would keep the 365 do some mods yourself and run it.

Thats how I got my 562, both bearing races let go and took out the top end. Saw is a 2014 model, how many hours can it have??

I will say though I havent had my 562 long but its been my go to saw for firewood cutting since I put it together, but still my 365 is going nowhere, too trusty to sell.

Thats how I got my 562, both bearing races let go and took out the top end. Saw is a 2014 model, how many hours can it have??

I will say though I havent had my 562 long but its been my go to saw for firewood cutting since I put it together, but still my 365 is going nowhere, too trusty to sell.

I bought a demo 2014 562xpw in 2016 with ~40 hours on it when I picked it up. It goes through phases where it gets used a lot, then not at all for months. I've probably put 400+ hours on it myself over the years. So...it could have a lot of hours; hook it up to the software and find out!

Not saying it's ideal, but I've run a 28" full skip semi-chisel through Doug Fir with no problems and no noticed increased load on the saw (in full wood on a 32"+ log). I definitely wouldn't attempt it in hardwood, at least not falling or long-term, though i did once have to rip a madrone stump with it that was awkardly shaped (4' diameter or so, but we rolled it up on its side to get better angle.)

24" full-comp semi-chisel on one 562xpw, and a 20" full-comp semi-chisel on the 562xp is how i generally keep my two. Both are STOCK

So, I picked up a new client last week; my old neighbors from before I moved. They wanted me to come out and cut some firewood. That is all the information I was given. I get to the job and first on the docket are two madrones, one 40-42" dia, the other 30" and in the way of the larger one, which is dying from the top down...and just happens to be immediately by one of their wood-curing sites. So, obviously we're not sticking the 28" 562 into the big one. But it had no problems taking down the 30". I made the face at 27-28" dia so the chain was just barely visible but not the bar-tip. No stalling, no problems clearing the chips.

This was surprising to me because every other time I've sunk the 28" bar all the way into hardwood, it falters and stalls unless i'm constantly clearing the chips. So now I need to experiment with some other trees to see which effect is replicated and why. The 24" bar on a 562 can be nose-deep and not falter, but the 28" generally does when bucking rounds. The ONLY immediate difference I can place is that I slapped an old (mostly unused) chisel chain, full skip, on it, whereas I primarily run semi-chisel on all my saws (we get down and dirty all the time, so semi-chisel is essential for production work). So maybe the aggressiveness made up for what I had experienced previously.

e5b04b6380c1a819295bf13984b5edb8.jpg

This is my 365/372xp is pulls a 32” skip chisel chain pretty darn good. Although normally she wears a 24” chisel.
Off topic... I'd love a few of those rounds for making tables... [/OFF TOPIC]

Currently running both 562 and 372 saws,562's are nice cutting off the skidder .372is a better saw in felling,not as powerfull as the 288 but my favorite for all day use.

Currently running both 562 and 372 saws,562's are nice cutting off the skidder .372is a better saw in felling,not as powerfull as the 288 but my favorite for all day use.

Is everything else equal between them? bar/chain, complement and style? clean air-filters/clutch-cases?

I finally got the 288 I've been dreaming of, except for some reason it says 390 on it.....go figure :crazy:

Yes,I run the same 20" bars and chains on both saws. Have both 181 and 288 saws,put 8 tooth sprocket on one and watch it eat!

Back