Looking for advice on a saw...Keep my 365 or go to 562xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here,
Can't say I haven't been pinching bits of info off this site before though!
So here's the question:
I'm a wood burner, I get delivered wood once a year, usually in the form of 36-40" rounds of various types of oak,hickory and maple(some bigger, some smaller, usually pretty green), plus end up having to fell and process the occasional tree in the yard from time to time.
I have to preface the question with a little additional info, which is I had a 345 (16")and a 460 rancher (24") to do everything, but found the 24" bar was a little small for the occasional "Jesus thats a big log" that would show up on delivery.
Now, my saw for most of the yard work is a 545xp w/18" bar (I won it in a raffle! Replaced the 345), which I like because its light and has plenty of juice for smaller stuff.
When the delivery comes in (or when we drop something big) I now have a 365 (unmolested, stock) with a 28" bar that gets through just about anything in front of it. (there are on seldom occasions when the 28" bar isn't big enough, but that's another story that involves a trunk about 60" around)
Most of the time, I don't need the 28" bars reach and a 24" would be fine, when I had the rancher, it was "enough" power to get the job done , where as the 365 I've never been left wanting for juice, but it's quite a bit heavier.
The question is this, I've been looking at the 562xp as a possible replacement for the 365 , since it can sling the larger bar if need be and also be a little less weight out in front when bucking up the piles.
Other than spec, I don't know much about them in practical usage/don't know anyone that owns one.
Outside of that, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or just stick with the 365 and deal with the little extra weight.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Bonus question: What is the smallest saw that can faithfully spin a 36" bar? (Might be a one time deal, but you never know)
Thanks again!

Keep the 365. Having owned both saws I really enjoy a 365/372xt with a muffler mod, intake tract delete and some good grinding. The 562 is a good saw and great performer just doesn’t have the bottom end and feel of the other saws not to mention easier to work on and parts are more readily available.

I would look at 390XP for the 28in bar and longer bars. Saw is solid, runs great with low vibration and gets the job done quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the information, sounds like the 365 is going to hang around... I've never modded a saw before but that sounds like something to look into eventually (when I'm not using it in case I screw it up)
I do have this one log (bottom 6 feet of a red oak) that's better than 60" around, due to it being oblong , laying on the flattest side and no way to upright it to get a better angle for the cut...maybe I can sneak a 390 passed the goalie (read: wife) while the 365 goes out of commission for a while.. (it is a 365xt)

Thank you all for the information, sounds like the 365 is going to hang around... I've never modded a saw before but that sounds like something to look into eventually (when I'm not using it in case I screw it up)
I do have this one log (bottom 6 feet of a red oak) that's better than 60" around, due to it being oblong , laying on the flattest side and no way to upright it to get a better angle for the cut...maybe I can sneak a 390 passed the goalie (read: wife) while the 365 goes out of commission for a while.. (it is a 365xt)
Put a 28 on her with a full skip and it will butter threw it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have one of each. Love the 562, but haven't used the 365 yet, but will within a few days.

I would never run a 28” on my 562.

24” max in my opinion.

So keep your saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I wanted a skip tooth for this bar originally but didnt think to ask when the shop was making it. Might make a trip over there this week just for that
They work well keep them sharp less teeth more sharpening I have seen I keep mine like a razor all day and never had any issues I wrecked a brand new chain helping a friend fall a bunch of hardwood on his property it's amazing how far from civilization I have found nails in trees... with that being said I have built my fair share of tree stands too

I would never run a 28” on my 562.

24” max in my opinion.

So keep your saw

It all depends on operator in my opinion I fix saws daily have for years now . I have seen handles bent from someone leaning on the saw in the cut... just as I seen way over barred saws that get used for different applications other than reach threw big trees in pristine condition there are so many variables in it I dont have enough time nor do I even want to start but in my opinion it all depends on how what and why 28" bar on any high 60 low 70 cc saw is quiet doable and done daily it has so many variables as for your variables I understand why you would never run a 28" bar on your 562 totally agree you know your own environment but for hos concern an occasional use with the right approach I think you would agree its doable and possible

It all depends on operator in my opinion I fix saws daily have for years now . I have seen handles bent from someone leaning on the saw in the cut... just as I seen way over barred saws that get used for different applications other than reach threw big trees in pristine condition there are so many variables in it I dont have enough time nor do I even want to start but in my opinion it all depends on how what and why 28" bar on any high 60 low 70 cc saw is quiet doable and done daily it has so many variables as for your variables I understand why you would never run a 28" bar on your 562 totally agree you know your own environment but for hos concern an occasional use with the right approach I think you would agree its doable and possible

Occasionally i agree. 28” is fine.

Back