Damn Raccoons Keep Crapping On My Woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best strategy is to change their behaviour by scaring them out of the wood shed.
How about scaring them a away with hot lead zipping past the ears. That would scare the crap outta me.... oh wait, that’s the problem we’re trying to avoid [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't scare much from that. Unless they know that guns kill, which is possible I guess.

I've shot many 'bear scares' at elk, for example. Loud, bright. After the first time they are not scared anymore. A bright strobing light while charging them, yelling and moving erratically has far more of an effect. They need to get really spooked.

We have a real problem around my farm with raccoons. They come in the inter yard and poop on my front porch and in my window wells. They pooped enough in the wife's flower garden it killed the flowers. Had a buddy try live trapping no luck. He spent a few evening doing some hunting and thinned them out. It about time for him to come back out. He enjoys a good hunt.

22 from ear to ear creates a zero chance of recidivism.
When you put up the motion light, try to put in a low watt bulb somewhere around the wood pile to give a little but not much light, enough to create a silhouette should something arrive. run a wire into your house from the motion light to activate a light or bell telling you the critter is by the pile. 22 out the window, nice silhouette, no more problem.

Been there for a friend. Works great.:cheers:

I'd guess that you have harvested a tree, that was PREVIOUSLY a designated bathroom. You brought it home, and the coons tolerated your moving of a "restroom", into your woodshed, and now they are using it.
Get a good mongrel dog.
Nate

I tried a number of methods.

1. Golden Malrin dissolved in a can of coke. Quick death. Just make sure your cats don't drink it.
But it never worked for me - I left some out there, but they puked it up before it had a chance to kill them. I had to lock the cats inside during that time which was annoying.

2. Shoot them. I left some cat food out in a certain spot for a few nights until they were used to coming for it. I then got the lawn chair and the .22.
I got one who died quick. Another died slow, and only after he crawled into a building on my property and hid. Died there, rotted and stunk to high heaven. That was nasty until I managed to find him, all goopy and covered in flies.
A third one I grazed the top of his head - gave him a reverse mohawk. He never did die, but my FIL caught him in a live trap.

3. Live trap. I managed to catch a few more in the live trap and released them a couple miles away. Never saw them again. I guess this was the easiest for me. I didn't have to sit out there or manage the cats. Just set the trap with cat food and check it in the morning. I caught my own cat a couple times, but that wasn't a big deal.
I managed to catch an annoying neighborhood cat with a live trap and relocated him about 10 miles away. But the commercial live trap didn't work, since the trigger for these is rather stiff. I made my own box trap with a figure 4 trigger. That worked great. That stupid cat would come into my house (cat door) and meow outside my bedroom door. That was annoying enough, but when he started spraying, I began the war.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The granular fly bait that you can get at Tractor Supply, or other farm supply stores works well, but it's deadly (instantly) to dogs and other wildlife also. A few granules in a saucer of Pepsi or Coke, works every time. They lap it up, it attacks their central nervous system and they fall dead in a few steps. YMMV. Use with caution...

Back