Damn Raccoons Keep Crapping On My Woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always had occasionally seen them but never any issues with my stacks. However, I kept losing chickens over a 3 month period and found that it was a particularly nasty big raccoon. This after never losing even one over many years to predators.
Thought it was clever fox until it broke through a gap 8 ft up. Lost over 8 over that period & never knew they were that nasty and killed for sport.

Bought a nice Cabela's line trap and then hung that sucker's tail on the back of that coop facing the woods so all his friends & family could see it!! :mad:

I had a small trash panda under the house and it was making a hell of a racket in the early hours from 3am to 6 am and stunk. Went on for a bit while I tried the live trap. Cheese and bologna only got me possums for a few days. Went to a bit of ham and poured a bit of bacon grease on it and got a huge pregnant possum. Tried sliced apples and a few slices of wheat bread and first morning had the little rascal. Put the trap to the side and crawled and looked under the house at all the damage. Couldn’t forgive and forget and let the rascal go. Bullet between the eyes and let it lay for a day or two then buried it. Still have possums but the coons don’t seem to hang around much, just pass through to see if there’s anything the cat ain’t ate or the possums on the way to the lake out back. Neighbor had them have babies in the walls of his house and had a hell of a time but never did say how he got them out and gone.

They won't scare much from that. Unless they know that guns kill, which is possible I guess.

I've shot many 'bear scares' at elk, for example. Loud, bright. After the first time they are not scared anymore. A bright strobing light while charging them, yelling and moving erratically has far more of an effect. They need to get really spooked.
Really need a video of you showing us the proper procedure

I have been dealing with the buggers the last couple of days...they just showed up in the yard a couple of mornings ago. Probably about 50-60 I had to scare out of my hay. Here we go again...Late nights, early mornings, up in the night. Very annoying.
i have been storing my hay under lights for several winters now. It dissuades them to a certain extent, but they are crafty and brave.

-40's coming up. That's when they show up, when it gets cold. Like ghosts; they just appear. Look out the window and holy ****, there they are!

anyway...

We had a bear problem a long with deer eating all the wife's flowers and then coons........got a Border collie and it's a ghost town around here.

All the locals think I'm telling a tall tale but this Border collie has treed a dozen bears by himself and my wife has witnessed it and now they never come around.........BUT the bears never sh** on the pears.

I was going to say you have to build them their own out house.. Seriously, some say you can repel garden critters with a spray of hot sauce. Buy the cheap $1 bottle of hot sauce and put an ounce in a 16 oz spray bottle and fill with water. Spray on the wood pile. I don't know if it'll work, but worth a try. As others said, 22 works best. But in my area, you can't shoot rifles. I had coons on my deck and I turn the light on to scare them away. It didn't do a thing. Had to stomp my feet and charge them to get rid of them for good
Easy......22 pistol

Back