Dancing With the Devil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that Dennis reads this forum so would like to take this opportunity to convey this message to him. Thank-you Dennis for showing our AS friends a good time while they were out here on the West Coast. That idea of having them see big trees cut was a special treat for them I am sure. That was a great idea. Mike

Looks like you boys fall trees alot better than you race chainsaws. LOL The noise from Markys video of the tree falling across the skid trail was very cool, but I didn't here anybody yelling TIMMMMMMBERRRRRR!

joe

I read a lot more than I Post, but thoes are some FANTASTIC pictures!

Looks like you guys had a great time. The size of some of thoes Trees were HUGE! Thanks for sharing your picts. :D

Mike there was alot of talk about how bad those two Devils are. When Dennis picked John and I up at the airport we had nothing but giggles for 3 days straight. When we met up with Tom Fales and his wife they were nothing as described. We all bs'd everynight to the wee hours.

As for the racing scene there's tons of competition in both of them. Every cut was taped, timed and talked about when we got home with Dennis Harvey. One thing that surprised me was they put it all behind them and began to think how to improve. Hell Tom said that Art files a good chain also.

When I was saying my good byes, Art and John Rupley stated I wasn't that big of a ******** after all. I don't feel it's a us against them it's more inline with competition. Tom is very into this sport. Here's a shot of his first cut. Paul Smith who hosted the show on the right and Lee from Washington. Lee was right in there the whole day.

You guys seem to have had a great time.
I am jealous, felling all those monster trees.

SOme great video by both of you.

Glad the trip turned out so well,
Just more credible AS members showing their true hospitality and true character.

Keep the great pics and video coming,
Hunter

Marky , i talked to Nblogger last night and it looks like we wound like to go next year , i am out of the turned wood bussiness now, sold the machine Monday night and have never been happier to see something leave , i told Cecil buy it or i am cutting it in to little pieces, so he is the proud owner of a block turner.
We figured that we would have to drive out so that is around 3900 to 4000 miles one way for Paul cause just to many saws.
Dennis save some of the big trees for us idiots from out east to fall, Paul said he would bring his 357 with a 16 inch bar to do the cutting, that is what he uses back in New Brunswick and the trees cannot be that much bigger out there now can they, now i wonder if the border would let Gypo , Paul and myself over it , things would be ok as long as Gypo doesnot start talking about FURRRRRR and where is the VENEERRRRRRRR, and donot give Paul any hot coffee to spill all over his big guy while driving, this is starting to sound like alot of fun and why wouldn't it

Here's Barky making his first cut ever at a real race. If he had of been wearing my chaps he would have placed, but it doesn't matter I think I got a N/T too!
John

Yepper that was one hell ova cut Eh. The story is John,Steve and I didn't have any saws. When Paul took a vote in the morning if we would make 2 cuts or 1 the majority wanted 2 cuts. Hell if I traveled that far I might as well make the most of it.

I asked if we could use saws that have been run already and as the vote went down NO. So we borrowed saws and were not entered into some of the races but we could run. At the last second Tom Fales lent me his husqvarna 181 for that bore cut. Stupid me thinking a gas saw responds like the Alcohol saws we were running the night before I came up just shy of the mark.

All in fun. Wait til you see John trying to start the 084. All in time.

The bore was good, can't say much for the switch. I can see that this kind of cut is a little more challenging that just a straight off cut.

joe

Steve here... Got back from CA last night.. Heres my story...

Friday night Angie and I went up to Cahoons in Chico. Got to meet Dennis and Annette,and Tom and his wife Gina. And finally got to meet John and Marky too.
I got some filing lessons from Tom, and some lessons from Dennis on the tractor fuel they run in there saws. Plenty of hotsaw tips and a little BS too... Imagine that!!
Angie and I got a private axe throwing lesson from Annette. John showed Marky and I the appropriate way to rev the sheet out of Tom's 084 that he runs on special tractor fuel...lol

Saturday, I got to meet Art and his wife, Rotax Robert , John Rupley, Dennis Harvey,Tim(Big Dutchman) and Paul the saw shop owner. Robert let me borrow his 088KD(I failed miserrably and cut out) but thanks again Robert!!!. And Paul let me borrow his 372 in 5cu and under .That saw ran awesome..
I have to appologize for no showing on Saturday night ... I think someone got a little too much sun.
Everyone we met out there was absolutley world class!!!
Angie an I are truly greatfull of all the new friends we where able to meet.

I will be posting pics and video of the saw race throughou the week.
Marky I am having our resident computer geek copy the saw race onto DVD for you..

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, Big Dutchman here,

I'm hurt! Did we not meet at Oroville? I couldn't stay long but I made it a point to stop by before work. Anyway nice meeting you, Tim.

Back