Dangerous tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought of another one. Extra large hole saws, watch what happens when that 1/4” pilot drill breaks on a 4”+ saw. I still have a scar from that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stepped on a rake one time in the dark. Was early morning before the sun came up, I had been up late the night before chasing the moon and I was late getting to work at the golf course (I was still in high school at the time). I was in the garage trying to get to my car......I thought someone jumped out and punched me. Knocked me on my arse. Once I got my wits about me and stopped cussing I realized what happened...….not my finest moment.

Back when I worked in the machine shop, the drill presses caused more injury than any other tool. Lathe probably got second seat. Right now, disk chippers give me the willies.

Driving roof nails through sheet metal roofing was really rough on my thumb! After the third thumb strike in a row my dad asked me if I knew how to completely avoid hitting my thumb with that hammer. As the tears were rolling down my cheek while I cradled that swelling bruised thumb I said, "No Dad...how?" He calmly, with a big grin on his face, said, "Always grip the hammer handle with both hands"!!! (Yeah....real funny there Dad!!)

Coal mining is the number 1 dangerous job.
Tree cutting is second.
Elevator mechanic is third.

Rating by deaths per year.

I teach to keep your mind on the job Sally will meet you later. That last hour of work can bite us.

A dull knife.
I've run into too many people that just didn't quite understand which way to point their knife while they were using it(not towards themselves).
Results, cutting their hands, forearms, legs or abdomen.

The knife was sharp but the user was dull, or at least obtuse.

Try using a Milwaukee Hole Hawg right angle drill. Or even their regular 1/2” right angle drill with a 7/8” auger bit.

Milwaukee Hole Hawg is awesome. As an electrician by trade this is a tool I'd regularly use. Plumbers get serious usage as well but if you're running 4" DWV and hit a framing nail you're in for a ride.

These things have got so much torque in LOW gear that I'm convinced if you could chuck this onto you're newel post it could spin your whole house around.

Milwaukee Hole Hawg is awesome. As an electrician by trade this is a tool I'd regularly use. Plumbers get serious usage as well but if you're running 4" DWV and hit a framing nail you're in for a ride.

These things have got so much torque in LOW gear that I'm convinced if you could chuck this onto you're newel post it could spin your whole house around.

Another fellow electrician... cool [emoji41]

Coal mining is the number 1 dangerous job.
Tree cutting is second.
Elevator mechanic is third.

Rating by deaths per year.

I teach to keep your mind on the job Sally will meet you later. That last hour of work can bite us.

I have not googled it but I always thought astronauts were the most dangerous job
If you go by # of deaths it would be an automobile

That’s why you gotta grab the “super hole hawg”. I believe it’s clutched to keep from breaking arms.
e357e8c1565f9610c35ccdf949e59827.jpg

Yep, it's usually the fool trying to operate or use the tool.

As a electrician and Maintenance mechanic I've seen some dangerous stuff that can happen to someone not paying attention. Where i really kept a heads up and paid attention to safety detail was when climbing and doing communication repairs on radio towers. Only a safety belt once I got into work position. (not any safety restraints when climbing few years ago)

Logging ever day as a job would be at the top of the list. (accident waiting for a happening)

Yeah Sir lancelot carver looks crazy. I would have to have a few drinks before I got up the courage to use one which would make it twice as deadly. At least I wouldn't feel as much as I was drunk when I carved myself up.
PS Powerful Plunge Routers with large bits also get a bit of a ass clenching hold on for your life feeling as well .
I've used one a good bit, never had an issue or felt like it was dangerous

Drill press-can grab a shirt sleeve and twist, throw a chip of metal, or grab/whip whatever you are cutting at high speed if you don't secure it.
Chop saw/table saw/radial arm saw-remove fingers and/or whip material being cut
Hand held grinder
Band saw
Post hole digger

Latest posts

Back