Dangerous tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My coworker.... what a tool.
I worked in a road construction shop for a short time during a college summer (I quit and got a job as a marine mechanic a few weeks later, every single aspect was better).

Anyhow worked with another kid who had already been there a year who was the "expert" on everything. Not a terrible dude but would get really rammy when he was crabby or in a hurry. One evening he was all pissed off and slammed a trailer ramp across my foot then proceeded to do a really ****** job rigging up a "pad" of timbers and the whole damn thing fell down right in front of us. I kept my distance from his escapades after that especially when I could tell he was in a mood.

O/A torch in the hands of someone who wants to
atomic.gif
make a smoker out of an oil drum...

Several years ago my boss came to borrow the small corded drill we used for plant maintenance. I told him to be careful, it had a lot of torque for it's size, and I was afraid it was going to hurt somebody. He laughed at me and said "this little thing?" He ended up spinning his entire body in mid air horizontally in an attempt to prevent it from breaking his wrist. He did not succeed. Four days later he cut three of his fingers on the other hand to the bone trying to use a band saw with one arm in a cast. He looked pritty funny with two injured arms.

He was accident prone. I saw him punch an I-beam full force once while pushing a breaker bar close fisted when it slipped. He turned white and almost passed out.

I know a lot of people who have injured themselves badly with table saws.

It's not really related to power tools, but v-belts/pulleys have eaten a lot of fingers too.

O/A torch in the hands of someone who wants to
atomic.gif
make a smoker out of an oil drum...
There was an MSHA fatalgram a few years back where two miners filled a 55 gal. drum with oxygen and acetylene. They placed it in a loader bucket, and one tried to reach around from behind the bucket and ignite it. He died from head trauma. The initial story was that they were just cutting a drum with oil residue in it, but further investigation uncovered the truth.

Ladders. Not just in tree work where we know not to use them (with rare exception). But just ladders. A ladder doesn't look threatening, but they've caused untold grief.

A guy I know, a captain in a city fire dept.--who should know better--went to change a lightbulb in a ceiling fan, and set up a ladder for access. He said, "We were having some work done on the place so there was a drop cloth on the floor where I set the ladder." You can guess the outcome. Broken shoulder, etc. Countless ladder stories are more tragic.

Another tool . . . My daughter's sewer line was backed up, and I rented a roto-rooter for the job. I had to set it on a concrete stem wall about chest height in front of me, and then needed to adjust its position. While I had the thing in my grip, my elbow contacted the little pad that activates the machine. It turned and crunched hell out of my left hand--deep nasty cut and a cracked bone in my hand. Won't do that again.

Don't know about other drills or the users, but the biggest danger with my Makita drill is a result of the low gearing and my instinctive loosening of my grip when I release the trigger. The free spinning motor coupled with the gearing creates enough torque to wrench the drill out of your hand and hurt you or break something. Of course, it can bite you when drilling but I usually have a firm two hand grip on it. Ron

Ladders are pretty dangerous. I know a few sheetrockers and painters who fell off small step ladders and got hurt. I myself took a ride on a 4' ladder, which slipped out from under me slowly, but still left me with a dislocated shoulder.

I've seen a few folks use the old screw style wood splitters. Not a tool I would ever want to mess with.

I've also known a few folks who used their 8 and 9n's for hauling out logs. Always seemed silly and risky since they were just getting firewood and owned wood wagons. But they just liked hauling logs. Sure enough one of them caught the butt of a log in a root and flipped. Did not end up well.

I have a lancelot carving thing for my side grinder and it scares the hell out of me. I need to be in a special mind place to use it as I am generally not the most careful person with tools.
A metal lathe will kill you and a wood lathe will hurt you and make you wish it killed you.
Technically isn't a crab pot the deadliest tool? That's what the TV says right? [emoji16]. Seriously I have no idea how these guys don't get killed more often. Maybe they don't actually work 30 hours without a rest?
Commercial foresting has to be up there as.well. I can imagine guys working a 20 hour day so they can finish a job and not have to travel back to it. Tired people make for a lot of added danger IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tired people make for a lot of added danger

You got that right. I don't care how quick, smart, or experienced an operator you are, fatigue will dull you and leave you open for trouble you would never otherwise do.

Fatigue weakens your muscles too. I once hopped off a wagon--3' to the ground, something I did regularly--and sprained my ankle because I'd been working three days and nights days without enough sleep. A doc explained the fatigue thing to me, because I couldn't understand how something I did all the time went wrong.

Latest posts

Back