Dead Red Oak Removal Vids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice tree. Nice obstacles. Nice work. Thanks for showing your TIP and rigging point as well. Great the way you walked us up the entire tree, showed the structure, helps us get a better perspective what you're dealing with. BTW, that running line looks like it's seen better days, lol.

Good video Nails. Those helmet cams are really nice.

Are you climbing on a distel these days? I thought you were using the VT.

/

Thanks TreeCo. The hitch is a Schwabisch, I tried the VT twice and couldn't deal with it. The camera is fun, even got rained on at one point and just kept going.

Last edited:
Nice tree. Nice obstacles. Nice work. Thanks for showing your TIP and rigging point as well. Great the way you walked us up the entire tree, showed the structure, helps us get a better perspective what you're dealing with. BTW, that running line looks like it's seen better days, lol.

Thanks Blakes. Yes, that line was thrashed and old, should've just been used as a tag line. Going up the tree was enough to put me to sleep on the vid, but I did want to show the obstacles a climber faces getting to the tip.

Last edited:
Its slop. The whole place smells like rotten meat.

Look, I only watched the first part and for all the bragging you do Nails that show was pretty lame.

Nice watch though.

Its slop. The whole place smells like rotten meat.

Look, I only watched the first part and for all the bragging you do Nails that show was pretty lame.

Nice watch though.

The reason i didnt say too much is because its hard to say really what sort of rigging scenarios may or may not have been possible, without actually seeing the jobsite and tree in person imo. I was wondering why he left that stub that had that one branch lodged for a second there though?

The reason i didnt say too much is because its hard to say really what sort of rigging scenarios may or may not have been possible, without actually seeing the jobsite and tree in person imo. I was wondering why he left that stub that had that one branch lodged for a second there though?

That kinda stuff had little to do with what I said. The kid is dangerous. And just for the record I say this not to be derogetive. Sorry Nails.

Thanks for taking the time to post the video, tree was in a tough spot. A few observations that you tell me jump in the river or whatever but I would feel guilty if I saw it and did not tell it.
Free climbing is a no-no, you already know that, takes less that 10 minutes to big shot a line into a tree like that and be secured on the way up.
Helmets and saftey glasses on the ground crew, that black baseball cap is useless if a limb or log falls from any height. Deadwood flying around splatters everywhere, always finds an unprotected eye. I unfortunatly have seen the results of a limb hitting someone without a helmet and I wish it on no one least of all a family member as appears you work with. The guilt and remorse is a life-long thing, think about it.
On several cuts the ground crew was directly under the tree and not looking up or on the way to grab the lowering line. I would not start cutting until all players were in place, especially on dead wood. It is easy to get complacent and assume everyone will be doing what they are supposed to do on the ground, especially if you work with the same people every day. You should still never assume and make efforts to communicate with them before dropping anything, a simple all clear or heads up can safe a life.
While making cuts your rigging line was very close to chain, that is probably how it ended up so beat up. Think about a different rigging setting to keep the rope away.
While dropping logs it looks like there was a chainsaw sitting in the drop zone, second video near the end, those things are expensive, ground crew needs to move them or the climber should look at the scene before making the cut. One bad bounce and the job is free.
You look to be a competent climber and the tree was removed with out incident, sorry if you take this a flame it is not meant as such, simply a call to be careful.

great work as always Nails!

i thought i was the only one that used a choker with a caribiner.

where can i get that cam?

nice to see a job from someone elses view! as for all the comments dont bother with them, all of us has their own way of working!! Mabey a few pointers from the safety officers post were lejjit, anyways

thanks great vid

keep em comming!

Latest posts

Back