Dead Red Oak Removal Vids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video was quick and dirty, as production was the game.

I was satisfied with the rigging and TIP, though not ideal, the tree didn't have much to work with in my opinion, very spindly. While leaf less, it retained it's strength and was perfectly sound throughout. The TIP, though angled out a bit, was placed on the strongest available lead far enough away from the rigging to complete the job with one setup.

Everything was rigged to the same spot and only one man was on the rope (one was on cleanup, 3 man crew), swinging, falling and not shock loading, hence the small pulley (not block) I wanted to try. Also, no friction device was used in the rigging (porty or GRCS) again, quick/dirty, and well within our capabilities. Only the one top was locked up (not on the pulley, on a krab), and that was by my orders, knowing we had the strength and had to stay above the roof.

The chipper was running, spiradically to keep up with the limbs, while firewood was cut and loaded into a relatives truck and hauled out as the job progressed.

That stub left towards the end went with the final spar drop, I didn't want to change saws or waste time with the 200t. One limb foreknowingly caught, but was easily remedied. The wood cut hard because of it's condition, and the 200t had a 14" bar w/ arrester removed. The sound timing doesn't match the video perfetcly and is a bit distorted, I have yet to find the mic on this thing.

At no time in my life have I felt abused by my father. He's the genuine article, though admittedly stuck in some hard ways. He's the most giving man I've ever known (annoying at times, lol.), to me and complete strangers. I'm trying to get a hat on him 100% of the time, as me and my bro always wear them now. The crew was not injured and never felt disrespected, despite some friendly banter. No property damage was done either, aside from abusing the bush a little and beating on the lawn (which we had permission)

I do need to work on my saw hand placement, and was one thing I wanted to see by the video, I am still getting used to the short tophandles and wear to put them.

My father was a Foreman for Asplund in the 70's and I was the lineman.

About knotless rigging, It has it's pro's and con's, just practice with it and try to avoint impact. Watch your knot and wear points constantly. Also hook the krab so that if the gate were to open it pulls into the gateless side.

The job took 3 hours total.

Thank you.

The reason I wanted to get a helmet cam is to critique and streamline my work.

Ok, so I wont join in the blasting.

If you were on my crew I would tell you to use your GD flipline. No one is good enough at this to risk it all day in-day out.

Put in a central redirect and use the GRCS or a porty. You do not need to do half the cutting you did there, what with that huge ground crew for that medium sized tree. Tip-tie and cut them long, I saw you did a few line that. I think I saw a tag line on a but heavy rig before I gave up in disgust at the blatant disregard for personal and crew safety.

No, couldn't be, that would be illegal. Thanks MDS, wink.

If you want to be treated like a professional, then act like one, for heavens sake. I took my first tree down for-hire in 1987. I've slipped in my gaffs, but have never been hurt. I hear too often about promising young climbers with life altering injuries because of this invincible "wont happen to me" cutting of corners to shave a minute off of an ascent.

And you do have promise, you have the confidence and innate ability to be very good at this. You just have to decide to treat it as a profession, not a side job.

:angrysoapbox::angrysoapbox::angrysoapbox:

Ok, I lied. That vid'ss only purpose here is to show how not to do tree work for hire.

TreeCo
Good video Nails.]

Shame on you, Dan!.

treemandan

And the guys I work with get it all the time so don't feel bad, don't feel as though I am singling you out Nails.

Same here, I would lay into anyone who worked like that around me.

patrick c
nice to see a job from someone elses view! as for all the comments dont bother with them, all of us has their own way of working!!

B efn S if all you see is a few things wrong, then you too have a problem.

Good God people, this is our livelihood, how we take care of our families. I do not rant like this because I want people to follow ANSI, but because I want to see you progress and have a long successful career. :deadhorse: :rolleyes:

B efn S if all you see is a few things wrong, then you too have a problem.

Good God people, this is our livelihood, how we take care of our families. I do not rant like this because I want people to follow ANSI, but because I want to see you progress and have a long successful career. :deadhorse: :rolleyes:

very well put, now if he and others like him will only listen:dizzy:

Only one question Nails... How many channels does that watch get? Holy crap that thing is huge.

I can say one thing about him, least he's using his head cam unlike others here and I didn't like the tip at all, to small and pretty much just a limb, I'd broke that the first time my weight went on it.

There's room for improvement but all went home safely.....this time.

8. crappy TIP

I know ex-con drug addicts that don't go for that crap. And NO, he hit his brother and almost his dad so nobody went home safely.

Allright, I am going to stop now but its not like I have too due to lack of bullets.

Definitely needs to stay attached to the tree. I use to do that a long time ago. Not worth it. I do appreciate that he posted it as we all know and should expect that it will be deconstructed to see what remains. If he is like me he will make changes and prove himself by overcoming.

Nails. I give you props for posting that. Like you did for me and that silver maple. You got balls dude. You know the difference between safe climbing and what you did but you threw it up anyway. :cheers: I expected the safety police to bust your balls as I would expect them to bust mine but that's beside the point. The majority of what you rocked in that vid was controlled risk and you're obviously more comfortable with a higher level of risk than most. I challenge anyone on this site to post a vid that doesn't involve a high level of risk. That's the nature of the industry. I would never bust on the old man hard hat issue or the tying into the same lead as your rig point or having a chipper running while climbing because that #### falls on deaf ears. I one hand, cross hand, cut with one TIP, you name it. If it's faster and I'm in control, it's done. PERIOD. I view you, mainly, as someone to learn from and exchange info with...a peer, and the main issue I saw with your vid was the use of the "kickback zone" of the saw a bit too much. I fear that zone right at the tip of the top of the bar like nobody's bidness. Other than that, I have the feeling that everything you did was completely thought out in your mind and though you may not have made the wisest of choices you'd still weighed the pros and cons of that decision and general harassment from the intrawubs wouldn't change your mindset. I play a bit more on the safe side than you, but it is still "to each his own".

8. crappy TIP

I know ex-con drug addicts that don't go for that crap. And NO, he hit his brother and almost his dad so nobody went home safely.

Allright, I am going to stop now but its not like I have too due to lack of bullets.
well let's just say they went home without serious injures there Mr Technicality, is that better for you.....

nothing personal Dan so take 10 deep breaths before you type.......lol

Last edited:
I know everyone else has written stuff so I will keep my short Great Videos. Good to be back on and see some great videos.

Mike

Nails, to take your videos to the next level, do a 2-camera shoot. Have someone on the ground taking long and medium shots of the action. It looks more dramatic to see a POV shot of a top being cut, then a cutaway to the limb slamming down from a ground perspective. A few shots of the crew running the ropes, feeding the chipper, etc also goes a long way to tell your story in a more entertaining and interesting manner. Just a few suggestions. Looking forward to some more polished productions.

Wow! Nails I actually agree with most of the slams you received for this, and also with most of the positive things mentioned about you personally. We have to "give some to get some", meaning we set the tone or level of professionalism on each job, more by what we do, than what we say. Think of the hundreds of guys just starting out that are hungry to view a removal video, so they know how "the Pro's do it". Please use a lanyard, and as for falling on deaf ears, try this. "I'll make the cut when"...(you get your Hard hat on, you get your safety glasses on, get out of the drop zone) etc. Nice helmet cam, can't wait to see the improvements. Stay safe!

I squirmed when you were free climbing up. Looks like you were very efficient if nothing else haha.
All the bashing comes from people wanting you to be safe for the most part I think, you'll realize it as you get older.....
I liked the video, anybody here that hasn't climbed like that must have learned in a classroom setting.

I enjoyed watching the videos; sure on some of the things I was thinking "Uhhhh, don't think I'd do it like that." But the truth is if you could watch video of every tree I've worked you'd see stuff that went wrong and we got lucky on. There isn't a tree guy here that isn't also true of. Mitigated risk is what we are all playing with; anyone who claims different has deluded themselves.

I'd put money on you having some close calls and then deciding to be even more careful in the future. Take for example the bush that you guys whacked a few times; go over the job in your mind and figure out how to do it with less damage to the lawn or shrubs. That wasn’t the goal for that job, but the mental exercise will give you ideas for future jobs where that may be the goal; just one example of how to use video to make yourself better.

We use video a lot in shooting classes. Some of the best shots in the country use video of them on the firing line to learn to get better. It is a powerful tool.

Keep up the good work and post more videos.

Mr. HE:cool:

i think you did fine nails.

these guys don't pay your bills.you're a big boy and can make your own choices.

do what you wish and when.these same "experts" always claim foul when they see something to whine about.i'm sure you could look into their past and find times they took short cuts and didn't follow all the rules. if they say they never did,i call BS.

Nails. I give you props for posting that. Like you did for me and that silver maple. You got balls dude. You know the difference between safe climbing and what you did but you threw it up anyway. :cheers: I expected the safety police to bust your balls as I would expect them to bust mine but that's beside the point. The majority of what you rocked in that vid was controlled risk and you're obviously more comfortable with a higher level of risk than most. I challenge anyone on this site to post a vid that doesn't involve a high level of risk. That's the nature of the industry. I would never bust on the old man hard hat issue or the tying into the same lead as your rig point or having a chipper running while climbing because that #### falls on deaf ears. I one hand, cross hand, cut with one TIP, you name it. If it's faster and I'm in control, it's done. PERIOD. I view you, mainly, as someone to learn from and exchange info with...a peer, and the main issue I saw with your vid was the use of the "kickback zone" of the saw a bit too much. I fear that zone right at the tip of the top of the bar like nobody's bidness. Other than that, I have the feeling that everything you did was completely thought out in your mind and though you may not have made the wisest of choices you'd still weighed the pros and cons of that decision and general harassment from the intrawubs wouldn't change your mindset. I play a bit more on the safe side than you, but it is still "to each his own".

Well said. :cheers:

these guys don't pay your bills.you're a big boy and can make your own choices.

do what you wish and when.these same "experts" always claim foul when they see something to whine about.i'm sure you could look into their past and find times they took short cuts and didn't follow all the rules. if they say they never did,i call BS.

says the guy who didnt see anything wrong. lol.

i gotta be honest nails. that climb reminded me of some of my coworkers from the past. they may have worked their balls off but they scared me while they did it. did you scare me scare me? no. but somethings can be done to change the fear to excitement. do i one hand? you betcha but in some of those cutting spots 2 hands could be used. maybe a few more directional/face cuts. no cutting when someone is under you looking down at their feet while walking around. not cut so close to the rigging line (which was fine for a not much for weight takedown as far as the look i got on it was.) flipline in maybe. something else or this and that...

ive had some good chats with you through this site man, PM and otherwise. you have my respect as you know. please stay safe because as someone else mentioned you do have the talent and drive for this work. which may not be true for many others here. you have that over them. just play the game to win brother.

again. stay safe.

I squirmed when you were free climbing up. Looks like you were very efficient if nothing else haha.
All the bashing comes from people wanting you to be safe for the most part I think, you'll realize it as you get older.....
I liked the video, anybody here that hasn't climbed like that must have learned in a classroom setting.

Not so, I learned to climb watching guys fall and I was never good at sitting for too long.

i never said i didn't see anything i would or wouldn't do.

says the guy who didnt see anything wrong. lol.

i gotta be honest nails. that climb reminded me of some of my coworkers from the past. they may have worked their balls off but they scared me while they did it. did you scare me scare me? no. but somethings can be done to change the fear to excitement. do i one hand? you betcha but in some of those cutting spots 2 hands could be used. maybe a few more directional/face cuts. no cutting when someone is under you looking down at their feet while walking around. not cut so close to the rigging line (which was fine for a not much for weight takedown as far as the look i got on it was.) flipline in maybe. something else or this and that...

ive had some good chats with you through this site man, PM and otherwise. you have my respect as you know. please stay safe because as someone else mentioned you do have the talent and drive for this work. which may not be true for many others here. you have that over them. just play the game to win brother.

again. stay safe.

what i am saying is this;it's not my job to babysit every tree guy/gal or run around critiquing anyone else's work.i see plenty of stuff everyday i wou;dn't or would do.some i try to remeber and some i hope goes in my favor in the future as putting me on a higher standard in the potential customer's eyes.

they do what they do and seem comfortable doing it their way.no one got hurt ,nothing that i saw in any of his pics or videos led me to believe anything ever got damaged.

i still make mistakes now and then,they are dumb but i pay for the results and try and learn something along the way.none of us are perfect but as soon as one of us thinks we are,were gonna be in for a big let down.

i still fear trees,chippers,saws,bucket trucks,cranes,motorcycles,snowmobiles,cars,and airplanes.guess that little bit of fear in the back of my mind has kept me alive doing all those things.

stay safe and use good judgement.that is all i can say to anyone.

Last edited:
Back