dealer problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local dealer is three miles from my house. He wanted 40% more for a 361 coil. There are three dealers in town so I ordered it from the one that's 8 miles from my house. And there is another great dealer that's like six miles from my work. So its not like the guy with the 40% markup has a monopoly. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars with him.:msp_scared:

So I went there this morning and asked the owner and his wife why their price on that 361 module was nearly 40% higher than the other two prices I got......deer in the headlights look....can't be ...I said well I ain't lying to you. Both other dealers had the same price to the penny. I told him the price and said I would bring in the slip. He said it must be he had an old price in the computer.
I let him know that I was disgruntled...maybe you ought to talk to your distributor and reminded them how much money I had spent there. As I walked by his wife's brand new beamer.
OK Stihl dealers what's the scoop...how are prices set anyway? I thought they were fixed and Stihl dealers had to sell at the same price?

So I went there this morning and asked the owner and his wife why their price on that 361 module was nearly 40% higher than the other two prices I got......deer in the headlights look....can't be ...I said well I ain't lying to you. Both other dealers had the same price to the penny. I told him the price and said I would bring in the slip. He said it must be he had an old price in the computer.
I let him know that I was disgruntled...maybe you ought to talk to your distributor and reminded them how much money I had spent there. As I walked by his wife's brand new beamer.
OK Stihl dealers what's the scoop...how are prices set anyway? I thought they were fixed and Stihl dealers had to sell at the same price?

Prices are DSRP. Every distributor has different prices. Business owners can sell, at, above, or under DSRP/MSRP if they choose. It's their right. What your dealer is saying about old pricing and such in the computer could very well be true. This happens a lot. I'll buy a part that might be $60 dsrp, then months down when I reorder it, it's $30 dsrp. So if a customer is buying that part from me and price checks with another dealer that has it at around $30 because they got the part after the price change, they'll look at me like some sort of crook, which I can understand... But it is what it is and I ain't selling it at $30. I have to sell it at what's proportionate to what my cost was, not the new pricing. And trust me, the distributor doesn't care what you've spent with them. It's business.

By the way, what kind of bimmer was it?:biggrin:

Prices are DSRP. Every distributor has different prices. Business owners can sell, at, above, or under DSRP/MSRP if they choose. It's their right. What your dealer is saying about old pricing and such in the computer could very well be true. This happens a lot. I'll buy a part that might be $60 dsrp, then months down when I reorder it, it's $30 dsrp. So if a customer is buying that part from me and price checks with another dealer that has it at around $30 because they got the part after the price change, they'll look at me like some sort of crook, which I can understand... But it is what it is and I ain't selling it at $30. I have to sell it at what's proportionate to what my cost was, not the new pricing. And trust me, the distributor doesn't care what you've spent with them. It's business.

All dealers had to order the part from the same distributor!!! Its not a new stock old stock price issue. They were all called on the same day. Must be this guy has an old computer :hmm3grin2orange:
Probably can't afford a new one with the new bimmer wagon out front. Don't know the model...not impressed by a beamer grocery getting wagon. I would rather have my super duty diesel anyday.

+1...Same here....8-12 on Saturday...like throwing profits down the drain..and an inconvenience to folks that do most

of their outdoor work on Saturday...need a part after noon..you're screwed..!!- Just sucks on both sides of the coin..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Some of the dealers are open on Saturday until noon then close on Monday all day. Really a bummer if you break something on Saturday afternoon!

I was suggesting he get with his distributor and get updated prices. Your right its about business and good business isn't about screwin good customers. That's why I will be taking my business elsewhere!!!!
Its also why I own four huskies now.
Frig me once shame on you frig me twice....

I was suggesting he get with his distributor and get updated prices. Your right its about business and good business isn't about screwin good customers. That's why I will be taking my business elsewhere!!!!
Its also why I own four huskies now.
Frig me once shame on you frig me twice....

Well I'm sure Husky appreciates it, they sure need the business! :msp_tongue:

You should be Huskyonlynow, now.

I have two local shops, one is 15 miles out and the other 5 miles. I have always gone to the furthest one and been happy but recently decided to try the closer one for some small purchases.

Go to the close one for a 18 Bar for my 360, sorry we don't have it, can order. I say no thanks, I'll go up the road and get one. Go to the further and MUCH smaller shop, walk in, buy and leave.

Go to the close shop for a primer bulb, no go, we can order. I say no thanks, I'll go up the road and get one. Go to the further and MUCH smaller shop, walk in, buy and leave.

Go to the close shop for a carb kit for an 026, as well as lines and a few other things. Sorry, we don't have it but can order it. I say no thanks, I'll go up the road and get one. Go to the further and MUCH smaller shop, walk in, buy and leave.

I will never again go the this closer, much bigger shop. The small mom and pop shop a little further up the rd has almost always had everything I need in stock.

From another thread today

I can't believe people still go to dealers that are not part of AS.

My local Husky dealer is ok, straight by the book. He was knowledgeable and nice enough to point me towards the 365 X torq as the best deal in saws while they lasted.

I did a little research and figured out that you could easily convert the saw to a 371 XT. I didnt feel comfortable doing the modification myself so I found AS. With a little reading I found Mastermind. I am now a repeat customer of Randy, and plan on doing business with him in the future.

Through Randy I met Terry Landrum and his wife Anne at the ET GTG which they hosted. I have purchased saws from Terry and plan to continue to use his expertise.

I dont see how anyone would put up with less than civil treatment when AS provides an easy alternative. The expertise is way above big box stores, and the product is backed better than any warranty on the market.

I enjoy being able to walk in to a store and come out satisfied with my purchase. If that is not available, then communicate with some of the people here and just find out what service is really about.

If you plan a little ahead it can be in your hot hand in 3 days. Its only 2 from TN and there are a couple of pretty good chainsaw businessmen that treat people like they would like to be treated. If I lived somewhere else I would find someone on here that makes sense and do business with them. Although if I lived on the South Pole I'd still wait and pay shipping to do business with Randy and Terry.

Peace

I hate to admit it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, last year i took a part time job at a stealership . :(

this guy would take the little orange tuning screwdrivers out of the new saws and SELL them to the customers for $2 ea !! LOL !!

I didnt last long there :)

Latest posts

Back