Decisions, decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep the other saws, you can always sell them to get another saw to compliment your new 361.
Like a used smaller, larger saw.:cheers:

Yeah, I have cut one big tree that was too big to reach the middle from both sides. Wasn't fun. I have also applied the other suggestions. My major problem with this tree is that I am just not comfortable fallign ones that big. At least there isn't a bunch of dead stuff up top to worry about.

This tree will not be 'hollow'...at least in all the willow in thi area I have cut I haven't run into one yet. They just get 'off-color' and softer wood in the middle. For cutting purposes they can be treated as hollow though as that stuff has no holding power to amount to anything.

Probably will keep the 310. that will give me 3 saws again. I have been down to 2 since the 041 died last year...well, didn't die, I just got tired of finding parts for it and sold it.

I could even fall that tree with the 310 and the 25" bar but we won't mention that around my wife ;).

Harry K

buy a 7900 dolmar, burn a 100 dollar bill up in thin air, and strap 3 pounds of weight to it and pretend it is a 441.

Then, unstrap the weight, duct tape the throttle to 2/3, and pretend it is a 70 cc saw.

Best of all worlds!!!!

Tomorrow's the day!!! Called Idaho Rigging this aftrnoon. The Husky 51 is ready for pick up and I will be bringing it and a 361 w/28" bar home! Still having a time convincing myself that a 441 is overkill for what I need. I _know_ it is but try telling it to the CAD.

Raining now but if it isn't when I get home there are som 16" rounds that will wind up as 'cookies' :clap:

Now to get a good day to go fall that big willow. Per wx that should be Friday or Saturday. I spent most of the day day dreaming about just how to approach it and planning what to take in with me. Have to pack in a couple hundred yards as too wet already to get a truck in.

3 wedges in pockets, 361 and 310 one each hand fully fueled. Maul stuck in belt if no other way to carry it. I must be missing something, seems to light of a load.

Great way to break in a new saw!

Harry K

~ snip ~

Tomorrow's the day!!! Called Idaho Rigging this aftrnoon. The Husky 51 is ready for pick up and I will be bringing it and a 361 w/28" bar home! Still having a time convincing myself that a 441 is overkill for what I need. I _know_ it is but try telling it to the CAD.Harry K

If you like the feel of a chainsaw going through a log, the 441 is not the saw for you. It takes about a 24" log to really enjoy the cut.

Anything smaller and the 441 is just too quick!;)

Another vote for the 7900!

I can't say I'd make the same decision. While the 361 is nicer than the 310, they aren't all that much different to warrant spending $600 for the small gains (IMO).

If you want to spend $600 and have a saw that IS noticeably better than your 310, order up a 7900. The 7900 only weighs a little more than your 310, is very smooth, and it will kick the crap out of the 361 and the 441.

If you're hell bent on going with either a 361 or the 441, get the 441... but know that you're spending a lot more money (over the 7900) and getting a lot less saw (IMO).

I'd like to suggest getting a shorter bar to go along with that 28. It's going to be unwieldy and pose a kickback danger when you're in 15" stuff and have 12-14" of bar hanging out the back of the cut looking to get into whatever is back there. I have an 18 and a 28 for my saw, lately I've been wishing the 18 was a 20 though.

Ian

I'd like to suggest getting a shorter bar to go along with that 28. It's going to be unwieldy and pose a kickback danger when you're in 15" stuff and have 12-14" of bar hanging out the back of the cut looking to get into whatever is back there. I have an 18 and a 28 for my saw, lately I've been wishing the 18 was a 20 though.

Ian

Oh yeah! Between the 310 and 361 I will have a 20/25/28" bar. I suspect I will be buying another 20" bar for the 361 so I can have one on both saws.

Most of my cutting is just right for a 20" bar and most of the rest is good for a 16 or 18". My Husky 51 takes care of that.

I am aware that that the 310/361 are just about twins but I gained the extra inches on the 361 that I very occasionally need. I doubt if that 28" bar will see more than one tree/yr.

Didn't even fire it up when I got home. Had to go scouting again to try to locate the true owner of a patch I am interested in. Found that and then went looking Lots of miles, lots of country roads, lots of locust but only one new patch. Just two trees but they are huge! Follow up on that tomorrow.

If I can stand the chill tomorrow, that Willow falls!

Harry K

Latest posts

Back