Descending out of tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

changetires

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are some good techniques for coming down a single line from a topped out spar. Sunday I had to take down 3 trees. One was close to a power line so it had to be topped out before falling. So I climbed it then topped it out but instead of climbing down I tied off a single line rope to the top and tried using a blakes to slide down on, but the blakes really bound up on the way down and I tried stopping a couple of times to loosen it up but it would still bind up tight. I came to the conclusion that since it was a single rope there was too much weight on it for it to slide easily. What are some other good hitches that could be used with a single rope? Just wondering, I could always just put it over the crotch and double rope it down.

Alot of times off spar theres no crotch to double rope and use the blakes.
What you did should have resulted in your death.! :censored:
Most friction hitches will not sieze up like that did.
Use a fig. 8
or a munter hitch on a "D" wide gate biner instead.
or a air traffic controller.
Were glad you didnt fall thou the best veteran climbers I know can barely feed themselves parapaligic! No rope at all was involved.
The point is friction and where to get it. Did you burn your hands?

changetires said:
What are some other good hitches that could be used with a single rope? QUOTE]
\
There are none that I know of exist. Go mechanical. I still got my 50 $ fig 8 and its 10 years old. Used it today.

I like to use a fig 8 or a munter, and back em up with a blakes. Adding an extra turn on the blakes hitch helps with the binding problem.

Get a figure 8 I have 3 and they come in handy, for when you have to go way out from your center point to tie a lowering line, instead of doing the Tarzan like I did when I was younger you can put the 8 on the lowering line and have a controled swing back for when you are feeling old and frail.

When your ground man dissappeared for a second and wanting to lower a limb they make a decent friction for lowering, in the right situation

Why is coming down a single roap "death"?

I top rope and come down all the time, with a friction hitch; I like it better than a figure 8, because if you stop and do something on the way down, you don't have to tie off and hope the 8 dosen't slip.

The issue here is, did he leave stubs to put his rope over? Did he go around the trunk went he did so? Or did he cut a slot in the top? The blakes tightening up is a separate issue. I like using a tautline; sometimes I have to stop, wrap my flipline, and fix the not when it tightens up.

You dont rapell down a single rope with a friction hitch do you?

I seen a guy fall right next to me rapelling down a single rope with a taughtline hitch. "CRACK" sounded like a 2X4 breaking when he hit the ground.

ooooh bad idea....you descend, your going faster than on a drt setup, the friction hitch heats up, starts glazing on the inside, which in turns makes you descend faster, which melts the inside of the hitch, creating a melted rope lubricant, you speed up faster and faster, globs of melted rope dropping onthe ground, on your hand, burning your hand, you let go, you lose control, your falling, your impact.

you have just rappelled the rope hiway of death.

best to use firmware descenders on a SRT (single rope) rappel.

figure 8s (aw pipe down Clearance! :) ), rappel racks, ATC's etc.

Rollori if you had 8 limbs to lower at 1000 lbs each and had 8 fig. 8's and slings you could rig the whole tree off one single line anchored below your tie in. Of course the ground man would controll the amount of friction on the ground by tightening the lowering line and then slacking it a little. the rope wouldn't be running thru his hand.
This is all theoritical ive never sent a fig 8 to the ground while lowering

In DdRT at a given body speed; rope is moving thru hitch 2x as fast as same body speed in DRT. i really think the secret between the 2 is the way that DdRT allows the static leg to take the load; so that hitch unloads and can thereby slide easily on dynamic leg of support.

Later in rappel, due to the high friuction in DRT/ hitch not unloaded on slide; we get the heat ovecoming the synthetics and making 'oil'/ hot 'wax' allowing even faster slide as SRT says; but initially speed is against DdRT; jsut not as much friction IMLHO.

Last edited:
I leave enough of a stub after topping to act as a crotch so that rappelling is safe enough. Even if I have to stop along the way, my rope can be reset. No extra fig 8s or other junk needed. Simple is as simple does.

TheTreeSpyder said:
In DdRT at a given body speed; rope is moving thru hitch 2x as fast as same body speed in DRT. i really think the secret between the 2 is the way that DdRT allows the static leg to take the load; so that hitch unloads and can thereby slide easily on dynamic leg of support.

Later in rappel, due to the high friuction in DRT/ hitch not unloaded on slide; we get the heat ovecoming the synthetics and making 'oil'/ hot 'wax' allowing even faster slide as SRT says; but initially speed is against DdRT; jsut not as much friction IMLHO.

TreeSpyder seems to be the only climber who talks about and clearly explains the load/unload dynamics in DdRT. To add to that, in DdRTyou're belaying 2:1 with the running end or down rope, so you have the option to control your descent with your right hand as well as with the hitch. With SRT everything's on the hitch, you have no belay unless you call grabbing the rope with your other hand a belay. At best you're going to have jerky ride down. Everyone else described the worst case scenario. Hardware is the way to go, Petzl ID, GriGri, Mini-rack, Fig8 or whatever rocks your boat. If you want to use a friction hitch for descent go down DdRT with a removable false crotch.
-moss

I left a crotch from a top limb for the tie off point. No I didnt burn my hand and since this was the first time I was trying this type of belay I stayed fairly close to the spar with my scare strap still around the tree. Yes it was becoming a jerky ride down. I loosened the hitch a couple of times on the way down and then said forget it and just spiked my way back down. It was quicker to spike my way down than to stop and fool with the hitch. Thanks for the info from everyone.

SRT-Tech said:
ooooh bad idea....you descend, your going faster than on a drt setup, the friction hitch heats up, starts glazing on the inside, which in turns makes you descend faster, which melts the inside of the hitch, creating a melted rope lubricant, you speed up faster and faster, globs of melted rope dropping onthe ground, on your hand, burning your hand, you let go, you lose control, your falling, your impact.

you have just rappelled the rope hiway of death.

best to use firmware descenders on a SRT (single rope) rappel.

figure 8s (aw pipe down Clearance! :) ), rappel racks, ATC's etc.

Maybe I should elaborate--

If I was doing a true rapel, as in fast, I would use the 8. What I'm talking about is working my way down and cleaning the tree, such as a big conifer, as I go. If I just have 30 or 40 feet and no work to do, I might also use the tautline, and stop a few times to let the rope cool down. I suppose I could take some prusik loops to help me switch off to figure 8 in that case. I finally switched to a split tail, so now most of the heat and wear is on the split tail.

AH! i gotcha now.... i thought you were rapping top to bottom on a single line with friction hitch.

makes sense now. But i (personally) would still use hardware, probably a rack that can be easily and quickly locked off whil you work.

clearance said:
Figure 8 devices are banned here, just saying.
Really? I had no idea! Can I ask some questions about this?
1. Who banned the figure 8-the outfit you work for, B.C., Canada, or someone else?
2. Are they just banned or actually illegal?
3. Who polices figure 8 usage?
4. What are the consequences if you get caught using a figure 8?
5. Why are they banned?
6. Can you get in trouble for even carrying one?

The reason I ask is because I have done storm work in Canada on several occasions. My figure 8 is usually attached to my saddle and I know of several occasions where I have used it while in Canadian territory. Should I stop bringing it on my treks across the border?

(Huh, now that I've confessed on a public forum, how long before the mounties are beating down my door? Maybe I'd better get rid of the evidence! Anyone want to buy a couple of figure 8's cheap-got to get rid of them immediately!!!! Wait I hear someone at the door now--nooooooooo!!):laugh:

Latest posts

Back