DHT 27 ton before and after pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That engine and pump look identical to the ones I just repowered my splitter with. Engine is a predator for harbor freight and pump is a speeco from TSCTSC

That engine and pump look identical to the ones I just repowered my splitter with. Engine is a predator for harbor freight and pump is a speeco from TSCTSC

Its a Kohler engine which Ive had great luck with in the past but this is 15 years newer than my Craftsman rider so who knows. Should last awhile with regular service I think.

Its a Kohler engine which Ive had great luck with in the past but this is 15 years newer than my Craftsman rider so who knows. Should last awhile with regular service I think.
the new "Kohlers" (if you can call them that) are nowhere near the same quality of the OLD Kohlers

mine starts on the first pull. except when I forget to flip the on switch. make sure your hyd oil filter is tight and also check the return line clamps. mine leaked a little after splitting a few cords.
great machine. even smeared through some nasty applewood crotches.

Kohler has built more problematic engines than not. Their reputation was built on the single cylinder K Series engines and stumbled into the chitter from their. . . I would guess best engine on the market for the past 25 years would be anything built by Kawasaki. . . They are just bulletproof

I would guess best engine on the market for the past 25 years would be anything built by Kawasaki. . . They are just bulletproof

Except for those plastic gears in them that were (maybe still are) failing at 3 to 500 hrs... Lots of them failed around here on mowers...

I'd say the most bullet proof small gas motors are Kubota's, They REALLY ARE bullet proof.....then "some" Honda models are quite good and B&S Vanguards are good too. The Vanguard V twins are good motors...

Old "K" model Kohlers were good, but quite thirsty! Old cast iron Briggs were good too...

SR

Looking at pics I think I would like some sort of deflector plate over or in front of the return line filter area. To me it looks a bit naked if a split takes liking to that area. I know there are hundreds of units out there with a similar design and no problems, only takes one errant piece to cause an interruption in production.

Looking at pics I think I would like some sort of deflector plate over or in front of the return line filter area. To me it looks a bit naked if a split takes liking to that area. I know there are hundreds of units out there with a similar design and no problems, only takes one errant piece to cause an interruption in production.

Good point. Ill have to look at things next time and possibly fab something up. I think its probably because its on the standing side and chunks are usually grabbed and tossed.

Latest posts

Back