DHT 28 ton wood splitter problems ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you just invest in a larger oil tank along with a fan cooled external oil cooler?
Also, have you given any thought to not touching hot parts without some sort of leather insulated gloves?

That's no fix for whatever is making it too hot to start with. Definitely sounds like an issue - that is likely restriction related. That might also eventually lead to early failure of something and a possible BOOM moment. Which might not be good. No way should it get 220° unless there's something wrong.

Since the control valve seems to be the hot spot, that would seem to be the first thing to check out. Maybe there's a piece of something stuck in there somewhere?

Are you saying his valve is 220 degrees? Or are you saying his oil is 220 degrees and the temp of his valve is exceeding 220? And,.what kind or type of BOOM are you referring to? Would that be an actual explosion? Are you saying these splitters are a bomb just waiting to explode? Its is very concerning what you have stated.

I didn't say the valve was 220 - he did. I think.

And all kinds of things can make a boom. Like a stressed fitting letting go or hose breaking. Which could in turn spray 220 oil in the direction of someone.

A restriction should show other ways too, like hoses jerking or pump moaning or engine laboring.

I think it is pretty normal of most of the non-heavy-duty-commercial type splitters. I don't have a DHT but I ran my neighbors new 27 ton, it runs pretty warm just like my Champion 23 ton does. 90* fittings and a smallish hyd oil tank make it so...
On second thought...220 is awfully hot. My Champion splitter is probably running more like 150* or so on a 60* day, dunno exactly, never actually checked it. I know it is not exactly comfortable to lay your hand on the cylinder, but not gonna burn ya. I think 220 would burn ya for sure.
I wonder if there could be some sort of obstruction in a line or fitting causing the oil to heat up. A large burr from machining/stamping/welding?

Wonder where the DHT forum sponsor guy is?

I will start a conversation with him now to try to get him to respond.

You can't touch my hoses or tank when it gets to 140-150°. I think 220° would blister instantly or worse.

EDIT: Conversation started with DHT. I also sent an email to their website requesting somebody to respond to this thread.

Guys,
The parts get pretty warm and hence why you need to wear PPE per our operators manual. Exact oil temps depend on a lot of factors including environmental conditions, type of oil used, etc. so they can vary from one splitter to another. As for comments about the temp of the oil as it relates to the function of the product please rest assured that there is no reason for concern. The 28 ton is a favorite with many of the local tree service companies and they have hundreds of hours on them without failure. As demonstrated with other users if there is a failure we will stand behind our product 100%. So go split some wood already!
DHT

So you consider it to be normal operation that it gets hot enough to blister skin on contact?

Guys,
The parts get pretty warm and hence why you need to wear PPE per our operators manual. Exact oil temps depend on a lot of factors including environmental conditions, type of oil used, etc. so they can vary from one splitter to another. As for comments about the temp of the oil as it relates to the function of the product please rest assured that there is no reason for concern. The 28 ton is a favorite with many of the local tree service companies and they have hundreds of hours on them without failure. As demonstrated with other users if there is a failure we will stand behind our product 100%. So go split some wood already!
DHT

Do you consider 220° a normal operating temperature for your machine? The consensus here is 220° is way too high (not just pretty warm). I know the hydraulic fluid gets hot, but not 220° hot.

Do you consider 220° a normal operating temperature for your machine? The consensus here is 220° is way too high (not just pretty warm). I know the hydraulic fluid gets hot, but not 220° hot.

It sounds as if the unit is functioning properly so we would be led to believe everything is in working order. Please call our customer service line if you have more questions.

It sounds as if the unit is functioning properly so we would be led to believe everything is in working order. Please call our customer service line if you have more questions.

It is not my splitter. So, if you and the customer are satisfied, I will be done with it. IMO, 220° is too hot for a 28 ton splitter in cool weather; for an excavator in the Aussie Outback or the Mojave Desert 220° might be a different story. I do have to wonder if the "heat gun" is accurate. Thanks for responding.

I think if I was setting out to trouble shoot here, I would first verify & triple check the temps. No matter which side of the issue I was on. Inaccurate temp measuring seems just as plausible as a splitter fault, from here. I think any kind of restriction or fluid flow problem that would lead to 220° temps would also give other signs when operating that things somehow aren't quite right. Gloves & PPE are a good idea even when temps are in the 'safe area' of 160-180 - those temps could burn too with enough contact. Plus I can't do anything without gloves on without somehow scraping skin off somewhere no matter how careful I think I'm being - never fails.

Guys,
DHT

Sounds like corporate double speak for we know it's not right but aren't going to do anything about it.

My 35 ton gets warm, but am able to lay hands on the cylinder without too much discomfort, no where near burning hot. It is up and running again, changed the jaw coupler and the pump bracket (DHT included with couplers) and all is good. Had to emory cloth the motor shaft to get the coupler on as far as i wanted it.

I know my home-built splitter cylinder gets "hot" but not burning If I had to guess, it is in the 150 range. I also have a 6 gallon tank that gets "warm". Will have to take some temp readings off tank and cylinder. 220 seems awfully "hot". I have a lot of 90 degree elbows, wish I knew about this site when building splitter....

I was really tempted to buy the DHT 27 Menards special, but really don't need 2 splitters.....although I think I could have made a couple hundred bucks off it....heh

splitter functions properly, but the cylinder did develop a leak after about 10 hours, which was replaced immediately by dhts great customer service. could that have been caused by the high temp?

I don't even own a dht but with the customer support that I have seen on here I might get one next time. Why are you guys giving them a hard time? They are pretty much saying run the splitters and use them even if they do get hot and they still stand behind the parts/equipment. In my opinion you can't beat that. Keep it up dht, your customer support will sell splitters.

Latest posts

Back