DHT 28 ton wood splitter problems ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I only did that once and it was probably not as hot as the OP's splitter, but yes, it took the skin off. Then there's the lost fingertip, and multiple hits of stray wood to the goolies (i guess you could say I got wood). But apart from that...here's from this week before I got rained off:
402133d1418273837-improving-wear-wood-splitter-slides-firewood-jpg

Not too bad for a one-balled, 9.5 fingered, walking skin graft.

You're a working fool:rock2:

You haul all the wood in the little red truck?

Mr. HE:cool:

That should be cool.

Here ya go. It's covered with a tarp and roped up for road transport, so I didn't undo all of that, but you can still see it, fold down log table and side loglift. The wedge is about one foot tall, maybe a little more.. There's a pic of the wood it can split, that's a 35 inch long piece of hickory. And a bonus pic of the bota 3680 mower I was running today.

When I was using it with 16 inch stuff, I would load two pieces at a time, sometimes. Not the same as a 4 way, but still speeded things up a lot. If I decide to try and resurrect it, I'll do a build thread with better pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20141212_125402.jpg
    IMG_20141212_125402.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20141212_125436.jpg
    IMG_20141212_125436.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20141212_125449.jpg
    IMG_20141212_125449.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20141212_125525.jpg
    IMG_20141212_125525.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20141212_134451.jpg
    IMG_20141212_134451.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141212_134529.jpg
    IMG_20141212_134529.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20141212_135247.jpg
    IMG_20141212_135247.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20141212_125902.jpg
    IMG_20141212_125902.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 71
Here ya go. It's covered with a tarp and roped up for road transport, so I didn't undo all of that, but you can still see it, fold down log table and side loglift. The wedge is about one foot tall, maybe a little more.. There's a pic of the wood it can split, that's a 35 inch long piece of hickory. And a bonus pic of the bota 3680 mower I was running today.

When I was using it with 16 inch stuff, I would load two pieces at a time, sometimes. Not the same as a 4 way, but still speeded things up a lot. If I decide to try and resurrect it, I'll do a build thread with better pics.
Big son of gun . :surprised3:

You're a working fool:rock2:

You haul all the wood in the little red truck?

5 more weeks (but not like I'm counting or anything) before I can afford a new tractor. So, yes, trees dropped, the bits small enough to drag with the ute (as we call 'em here) are dragged up the hill to that bucking/splitting location and the bigger trunks get ringed and noodled and loaded in the back of the ute to get them up the hill. The tray has a load handler (thought they looked gimmicky but they really do work) so just back the ute up to the splitter and keep winding the rings towards me when splitting.

This is how I used to do it years ago before I had a tractor. Really missing a tractor's help, but determined not to buy one until I can do so without involving the bank, unless it is a great deal I have to have now. So 5 more weeks.
This is the same ute (but different clutch :) ) I used to skid 700+ pines off a very steep hillside about 6 years ago. It owes me nothing and any day with it from now on is a bonus.

5 more weeks (but not like I'm counting or anything) before I can afford a new tractor. So, yes, trees dropped, the bits small enough to drag with the ute (as we call 'em here) are dragged up the hill to that bucking/splitting location and the bigger trunks get ringed and noodled and loaded in the back of the ute to get them up the hill. The tray has a load handler (thought they looked gimmicky but they really do work) so just back the ute up to the splitter and keep winding the rings towards me when splitting.

This is how I used to do it years ago before I had a tractor. Really missing a tractor's help, but determined not to buy one until I can do so without involving the bank, unless it is a great deal I have to have now. So 5 more weeks.
This is the same ute (but different clutch :) ) I used to skid 700+ pines off a very steep hillside about 6 years ago. It owes me nothing and any day with it from now on is a bonus.

Load handlers are good. Back when I started I put one on a 3/4 ton truck. I bent the handle and had a heavy duty one made, but other than that it was stock HD model. It moved thousands of cubic yards of yard debris, sand, rock, sawdust, etc. before the fabric just flat wore out. It was one of the better investments I made.

That said, I like my dumping trucks and trailers now, won't go back to the hand cranking.

Big son of gun . :surprised3:

Ya, it's bigger than all these various splitters I see for sale at like home despot and traction supplied. Also built right into a full size steel trailer. He took the original, not sure, don't remember, engine off (still running fine) and put an expensive two cylinder kohler engine on it, didn't last 50 hours. Freaking electronic do dads epa junk. Bet it cost a lot. I *might* be able to fix it if I can find some schematics for it and troubleshoot it.

Give me a plain jane yank start Briggs with a ten buck does everything coil any day and just a regular ole cheapo carb. That's what I put on my snapper, brand new 8 horse 200 bucks, not 1200 or 2000 whatever that kohler cost with all the fancy electronics on it to make it allegedly better..

Yes, splitters get hot, even Timberwolf splitters get hot, so hot they can't be touched at times.

WELL, I can honestly say that MY Timberwolf has NEVER got so hot that I couldn't hold my hand on any part of it... And, that's with three guys running it balls to the wall, with big rounds...

SR

WELL, I can honestly say that MY Timberwolf has NEVER got so hot that I couldn't hold my hand on any part of it... And, that's with three guys running it balls to the wall, with big rounds...

SR

Yeah, we've seen your "big rounds". ;)

Yeah, we've seen your "big rounds". ;)

Actually I'm not sure that you have, but I have posted picts of some decent sized tough crotch wood, and those work the splitter more than anything else...

SR

Actually I'm not sure that you have, but I have posted picts of some decent sized tough crotch wood, and those work the splitter more than anything else...

SR
I believe those pics also show the hydraulic power pack breathing life into your TW, which would it be correct to assume has greater capacity and cooling than other TW's?:)

I'm thinking the only REAL difference is, my TW "isn't" getting any motor heat to the splitter... Am I missing something?

SR

Could be quite a few things. Have you compared the fluid capacity and cooling of your tractor's hydraulics to what TW stand-alone splitters use? I'd be surprised if your tractor is worse but genuinely interested either way.

My tractors hydraulics have nothing to do with my splitter, it doesn't use them at all...

SR

Yes, splitters get hot, even Timberwolf splitters get hot, so hot they can't be touched at times. Nobody said his splitter should run like a Timberwolf, "honestly" they didn't. There is no reason his DHT should not split 1000's of cord of wood, even for the price. I think you missed the point of the whole thread so take your own advice and shut your hole. Nice plug for a Brave Splitter by the way. Carry on.
What exactly is the point smartguy? Was my post directed to.you? Then mind your own****ing business.

Tractor hydraulics are strong, but the flow at the remotes is too low, UNLESS you have one heck of a big tractor... My old splitter runs off remotes and I had two BIG complaints, it has the wedge on the ram and it's too slow...

I fixed both of those problems in spades, when I bought the TW...

Looks like I'm going to pair the old splitter to an older tractor I have here and sell them both...

SR

Latest posts

Back