DHT 28 ton wood splitter problems ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I ran a 28 ton splitter not a DHT but a good make, after 4 hours it was way to hot to touch, enough so that I let it cool for a few hours before using it again.
We were splitting dry fire 16-24 inch diam.
BBB

splitter functions properly, but the cylinder did develop a leak after about 10 hours, which was replaced immediately by dhts great customer service. could that have been caused by the high temp?

Yes, it could have. Excessive hydro temp breaks down seals/gaskets and the hydro itself at a faster rate.

I don't even own a dht but with the customer support that I have seen on here I might get one next time. Why are you guys giving them a hard time? They are pretty much saying run the splitters and use them even if they do get hot and they still stand behind the parts/equipment. In my opinion you can't beat that. Keep it up dht, your customer support will sell splitters.

I agree. They seem to be a fantastic company to work with and buy from. I commend them for coming on here as they do.

My son and I ran a 28 ton splitter not a DHT but a good make, after 4 hours it was way to hot to touch, enough so that I let it cool for a few hours before using it again. We were splitting dry fire 16-24 inch diam. BBB

Splitters do get hot, very hot at times. I have a temp gauge on mine. At 150-60º it will definitely wake you up; you cannot keep bare skin on it. 220º is off the charts for a 28t splitter IMO. But what do i know.

IR thermometers are notoriously bad on shiny surfaces guys. I'd question the reading before I got all up in any manufacturers business about it.

A candy thermometer runs about $20 and will get you up past 212F accurately.

splitter functions properly, but the cylinder did develop a leak after about 10 hours, which was replaced immediately by dhts great customer service. could that have been caused by the high temp?
the cylinder failure could have also caused the high temps. may have sent a piece through the system that caused some damage or blockage too... have to look at it both ways. i have a powerhorse dual split 20t unit that also get way too hot to touch in the summer. especially if i split elm

So does the muffler.

Mr. HE:cool:
Hey, I only did that once and it was probably not as hot as the OP's splitter, but yes, it took the skin off. Then there's the lost fingertip, and multiple hits of stray wood to the goolies (i guess you could say I got wood). But apart from that...here's from this week before I got rained off:
402133d1418273837-improving-wear-wood-splitter-slides-firewood-jpg

Not too bad for a one-balled, 9.5 fingered, walking skin graft.

Do you consider 220° a normal operating temperature for your machine? The consensus here is 220° is way too high (not just pretty warm). I know the hydraulic fluid gets hot, but not 220° hot.
I bought a Brave Splitter made in the early 1980's with an 8hp briggs. It split 1000's of cords of wood.....1000's I ran the briggS until.it smoked and was absolutely shot. . . I replace it with a new Honda GX340 11HP......I split more wood with the commercial Honda and ran the Honda until it began to smoke.....the hydro oil and components ran so hot THEY could not be touched. I sold it and the entire time never had a heat related failure...
Do you people honestly think your going to purchase a $600-$1200 splitter and it will run like a TimberWolf?
Shut your holes.....run the machine.... Or sell it for $800.....take.the $800 add another $7000 ....buy a Timberwolf TW5

I bought a Brave Splitter made in the early 1980's with an 8hp briggs. It split 1000's of cords of wood.....1000's I ran the briggS until.it smoked and was absolutely shot. . . I replace it with a new Honda GX340 11HP......I split more wood with the commercial Honda and ran the Honda until it began to smoke.....the hydro oil and components ran so hot THEY could not be touched. I sold it and the entire time never had a heat related failure...
Do you people honestly think your going to purchase a $600-$1200 splitter and it will run like a TimberWolf?
Shut your holes.....run the machine.... Or sell it for $800.....take.the $800 add another $7000 ....buy a Timberwolf TW5

Ya but there's quite a difference between too hot to touch & 220° - if it's actually 220°.

Yes, splitters get hot, even Timberwolf splitters get hot, so hot they can't be touched at times. Nobody said his splitter should run like a Timberwolf, "honestly" they didn't. There is no reason his DHT should not split 1000's of cord of wood, even for the price. I think you missed the point of the whole thread so take your own advice and shut your hole. Nice plug for a Brave Splitter by the way. Carry on.

It's one thing to question the actual temperature readings. But for the manufacturer to come on here and imply 220 degrees is fine for hydraulic fluid... Well that's a pretty poor response in my mind.

I can sort of see the reasoning for their response - in that if there are temps that are really 220, there should be other signs of a problem that would show up in the way it works. (And sounds, and responds, etc..). And as far as I know, the OP has indicated it's working fine. Kind of a coincidence the ram was replaced also though...

I can sort of see the reasoning for their response - in that if there are temps that are really 220, there should be other signs of a problem that would show up in the way it works. (And sounds, and responds, etc..). And as far as I know, the OP has indicated it's working fine. Kind of a coincidence the ram was replaced also though...
So now it's been established that their are other problem signs... No response from DHT.

OP should complain to customer service and see what they say.

I don't even own a dht but with the customer support that I have seen on here I might get one next time. Why are you guys giving them a hard time? They are pretty much saying run the splitters and use them even if they do get hot and they still stand behind the parts/equipment. In my opinion you can't beat that. Keep it up dht, your customer support will sell splitters.
who the hell wants something that breaks down rather often, even if the manufacture covers the parts...id rather spend more time splitting than on the phone with CS or replacing parts...

What happens when the warranty runs out...Buy a new one??? Never thought I see the day where something like a wood splitter would be considered disposable. Way to go DHT!

The real big one here my boss built 63 years ago has a huge hydraulic tank, maybe between ten and twenty gallons?/ Not sure, big, with a thermometer on it. From what I remember, splitting 3 foot diameter heavy sweetgum it hit around 160 indicated degrees.

I guess I should see if I can get it working again, just been lazy, plus no extra loot I wanted to spare. Needs engine fixed, hoses, new control valve, and some sort of crank lifter for the tongue, I can't even pick it up, have to use my truck jack. It does have a fold down leg once it is up, plus a big log lifter.

Seeing as how these DHT splitters are inexpensive, any way to add a larger hydraulic tank, or increase capacity with some cooling?

The real big one here my boss built 63 years ago has a huge hydraulic tank, maybe between ten and twenty gallons?/ Not sure, big, with a thermometer on it. From what I remember, splitting 3 foot diameter heavy sweetgum it hit around 160 indicated degrees.

I guess I should see if I can get it working again, just been lazy, plus no extra loot I wanted to spare. Needs engine fixed, hoses, new control valve, and some sort of crank lifter for the tongue, I can't even pick it up, have to use my truck jack. It does have a fold down leg once it is up, plus a big log lifter.

Seeing as how these DHT splitters are inexpensive, any way to add a larger hydraulic tank, or increase capacity with some cooling?
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Latest posts

Back