diagnosis needed for chainsaw difficulties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pitch, the distance between drive links. The dog tooth looking things on the bottom of the chain. Yes the gauge is the width. The problem is the pitch.

Thanks to all. I guess it's clear that I have a compatability issue. I trusted the saleshelp at baileys to sell me what I needed and I paid for my ignorance.

I gotta go, many thanks

Ah man I just read the original post again, and it states right there at the bottom that the chain was .325 while the bar is 3/8ths. Arghhhh. Any way I have a couple 16inch .325 setups if you want to confirm thats the problem. I can probably meet you some place and let you run one for a while then check for "binding" .

There you go. that would be one happy saw running a 16" bar/chain. I have my 029, same as your 290, and am running a 18" as my 390 runs a 20" and I feel it already has a hard time turning the 20". But the 390 uses 3/8 pitch which makes saw work a little harder.

Thanks to all. I guess it's clear that I have a compatability issue. I trusted the saleshelp at baileys to sell me what I needed and I paid for my ignorance.

I gotta go, many thanks

If you dealt with a person on the phone @ Bailes, you may be able to get them to make this right. If those two things, bar/chain, were the only things you ordered would it be a flag to question you by seller if they were going to be used together. Good luck.

Yea man, you'll either have to buy a 3/8th sprocket and chain to go with the 3/8th bar, or buy a .325 bar to go with your .325 chain and sprocket.

The question now is, do you want to run 3/8th or .325?

i think an 18" bar would be happy with .325 on a 290. If I were running a 16" bar on it, I would maybe go with a 3/8th package. Thats your choice though. Just remember, 3/8th will be harder to pull.

Glad to hear to have a simple problem, and not something more complex and costly, good luck!

Back