Did I permanently destroy my MS250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTI1993

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello wood cutting enthusiasts,

I bought a new (my first personal chainsaw) MS250 this fall and have cut 4.5 cords of wood since that I am heating my home with.

Last week I started it and left it to warm up. I came back and it was smoking a lot, left it and tried to restart after it had cooled off but couldn't pull the cord. Apparently I left it (maybe it got stuck?) in the semi-choke position for about 1.5 minutes while running. Took it to the dealership today who said it was completely burned out, not worth the cost of repair.

I can accept that I made a newbie user error but this seems like something that could happen to anyone if they use a chainsaw enough.

Has this happened to anybody? Will I be buying a brand new chainsaw?

Feel like I just crashed my first car...

Thank you for your thoughts and advice people.

Ah, yep- in that case there is probably too much of the saw melted to be an economic shop repair.

What I would do is ask around and see if some other poor newbie has straight gassed another MS250, buy it for very little and swap all the good part over to make one running saw. Your engine should still be okay- apart from crank seals on the clutch side...... maybe?

They offered $25 for it on a trade-in for a new saw - would you take that?
Hell I live on the other side of the world where saws are VERY expensive! I would not take $25, the bar and chain are worth more.
But then my shop probably would not even offer to trade it in!

Yeah if it was set to high idle with the brake on i bet it locked the crank to the clutch..melted bearing...etc.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Get an echo cs400, it keeps up with my ms261. Seems lighter, 18” bar, smaller chain and more easily replaceable than the 261.

For another ~$20 over the cost of that plastic clamshell MS250 you can get an Echo CS4910. 50cc, pro construction, just a hair heavier. Its the same saw as the CS501P but with a plastic handle and no captive bar nuts.

I like to fix broke stuff so I would say get ya new saw or new used saw and fix the old one yourself as time allows. It will allow you to understand what it takes and will make simple things that go wrong in the future seem like no big deal because you have already done it. Even if you do it with cheap parts the experience will be more than worth. Also I’m assuming that you are new to chainsaws and workin on them, if not I apologize and in no way mean to sound condescending or arrogant.

Shoot okay, thank you so much for the second opinion. I'll hold on to the melted saw and get a new one, we have lots of trees to process. Thankfully tools are a tax write-off for me

Thank you!!
I'm intrigued. Tools (to cut your own firewood) are a tax write-off? How can I get on that program?

Back