Diesels or gas in a 3/4 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
true diesel or conversions

It's my understanding that the Dodge is the only true diesel in any half ton or 3/4 ton. The Chevy's and Ford's are conversions. The same is true for most one tons as well. The dodge is a v-6 and made for pulling.
I only have a half ton GMC as of now, but I've been looking too.

It's my understanding that the Dodge is the only true diesel in any half ton or 3/4 ton. The Chevy's and Ford's are conversions. The same is true for most one tons as well. The dodge is a v-6 and made for pulling.

Welcome to the site, merry ho ho. The Dodge diesel is a Cummins I-6, not a V.

The Cummins is a straight 6. The Ford V8 is an International and the GM V8 is an Isuzu.

Yup. Probably why they sound more like a big truck--big trucks are I-6's as well.

Most are, but how about them Jimmy screamers V-8 71s, V-8 92s, V-12 71s and so on. When you have an offroad logging truck with one of those V-12s go screaming by, it don't really sound like a diesel

Last edited:
That's my bad. Of course the dodge isn't a v-6.
That was part of my whole point, it is completely different than the other "diesel" engines.

I ain't no truck driver, I just know those Jimmies, I like that sound especially across a valley, in a big truck or a yarder, you just know something cool is happening.

Yup those older two-stroke diesels just loved to run with your foot in the throttle.
Especially if the blower seals went out and it started runnig away on its own crankcase oil:jawdrop:

I got an F250 7.3 with 4" exhaust all the way back from the turbo, and AFE intake and an Edge programmer with the A-pod full of Auto Meter Gauges. She rips, but my best mileage has been 18.7 freeway, 13.8 pulling my 25ft traveler trailer.
Oh yeah, also have an Apline system that runs my iPod from the deck. :rockn:

Yup those older two-stroke diesels just loved to run with your foot in the throttle.
Especially if the blower seals went out and it started runnig away on its own crankcase oil:jawdrop:

The last one I had do that was a 97 Ford powerstroke. I locked it down, stuck it in 5th gear, and dumped the clutch. That killed it and saved the engine (for a while).

In my opinion, if you are regularly pulling heavy loads, Buy a diesel.
If not, go ahead and get the gas rig. If you buy a diesel for savings in mileage, and such you'll be disapointed because the maintenance and parts cost will eat that up pretty quick.

Andy

I wouldn't say that about the ford....the powerstroke and older non turbo 7.3's are international diesels. The started life as the 6.9 which is a primitave, but true diesel used in many industrial applications.

The newer chevy diesels (non duramax) were volvo or isuzu's made----> not a conversion

The only conversions that come to mind are the early 80's GM 350 diesel/propane/natural gas contraptions.

I don't know much about the duramax other than they run like raped apes and get great milelage.

Since some were talking about diesel conversion engines ,remember the 5.7 diesel's from the late 70s and early 80s that GM made? Yep the ones based on a 350 Olds block what a piece of junk! Great mileage was the only thing they had going for them.The heads would go 20,000km before blowing a head gasket. No power, even the glove box on a full sized half ton has a warning in it not to put a camper on the truck. I have one of these trucks a 1980 Half ton I remember when my friends dad bought it new complete with 273 rear axle ratio:dizzy: But after they had it for 5 years they put a 425 vintage 1968 in it can you say torque! and a set of 343gears.I bought this truck 3 years ago complete with rebuilt 350 olds and tranny and the diesel emblems on the fenders.
If I was to buy a diesel it would be the 12 valve older cummins. I have some experience with the 7.3 ford in are shop trucks it's a true diesel but not a good one imo. Have to wait and see how the new smaller one holds up ford has.

If you buy a diesel for savings in mileage, and such you'll be disapointed because the maintenance and parts cost will eat that up pretty quick.

Andy

True of the old diesels, but not the trucks nowdays. The maintenance now is basically oil changes and go ;)

Sure the new ones take more oil than a gasser, but the go twice as long between changes. All the drive train components are same as their gas counterpart trucks. And of course, the rest of the truck will probably be gone long before the motor! Well, Cummins and Dmax anyways... Ford hasn't made a decent diesel since the 7.3 :biggrinbounce2:

My work truck is a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi, great truck and quite fast, lots of grunt and 345 hp, but the 6.8 mph we get running around the mine would put me off this vehicle as an owned drive unless it had a diesel, about 40% better milieage from those that own them.

Since some were talking about diesel conversion engines ,remember the 5.7 diesel's from the late 70s and early 80s that GM made? Yep the ones based on a 350 Olds block what a piece of junk! Great mileage was the only thing they had going for them..

I know the HP Olds guys like those diesel blocks for a high hp gas conversion eng........if you still have it,might be worth checking into and ebaying it! I had a 68 455 rocket (375 horse 510ft #'s of torque stock)that needed rebuilt and sold it on ebay for $500

And of course, the rest of the truck will probably be gone long before the motor! Well, Cummins and Dmax anyways... Ford hasn't made a decent diesel since the 7.3 :biggrinbounce2:

So, what do you guys think about brands?;) :laugh:

I've heard something similar locally, Dodge if you want a manual transmission, GM with Allison if you want an auto, stay away from Ford unless you want an older truck.

My cousin bought a new diesel F350 with a little dump bed for his landscape business a couple years ago. He said it is a great truck if it would ever run, spent more time at the dealership than his shop the first year.

Maybe they are getting the problems ironed out, he hasn't mentioned it for a while. I'm kinda leaning toward Dodge, I like the way they look and the Cummins reputation, but new truck is still a definite maybe-possibly even wishful thinking for me.

So, what do you guys think about brands?;) :laugh:

I've heard something similar locally, Dodge if you want a manual transmission, GM with Allison if you want an auto, stay away from Ford unless you want an older truck.

My cousin bought a new diesel F350 with a little dump bed for his landscape business a couple years ago. He said it is a great truck if it would ever run, spent more time at the dealership than his shop the first year.

Maybe they are getting the problems ironed out, he hasn't mentioned it for a while. I'm kinda leaning toward Dodge, I like the way they look and the Cummins reputation, but new truck is still a definite maybe-possibly even wishful thinking for me.

Yes, Dodge autos SUCK unless you build them to handle power. And there are a couple known issues with the 2nd gen 24V cummins that will ruin your day if you don't address like the VP44 starving and costing a cool 2k :cry: However, they are the only true medium duty diesel of the big three, and insane power can be had for cheap! 12Valve cummins can get 150hp at the rear wheels for free with a grinder to their fuel plate :jawdrop: And 24Valves can easily add a $600 box good for and additional 150horse and 350torque, and that only scratches the surface...

The new Chevys ride like cars with the IFS so you'll get the best driveability. And the Duramaxs are cranking out some serious power when bombed. The Allison will hold up great to an unmodded Dmax, but will also have to be built when you start adding power :cool:

3rd generation ram 2500 4x4 rides better than most cars. Mom drives a Mercedes and wife drives a Concorde and both admit it rides and drives better than their cars and interior is compared to luxury. Trust me you are not tired at the end of a long trip.

Latest posts

Back