Diesels or gas in a 3/4 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Dodge autos SUCK unless you build them to handle power. And there are a couple known issues with the 2nd gen 24V cummins that will ruin your day if you don't address like the VP44 starving and costing a cool 2k :cry: However, they are the only true medium duty diesel of the big three, and insane power can be had for cheap! 12Valve cummins can get 150hp at the rear wheels for free with a grinder to their fuel plate :jawdrop: And 24Valves can easily add a $600 box good for and additional 150horse and 350torque, and that only scratches the surface...

The new Chevys ride like cars with the IFS so you'll get the best driveability. And the Duramaxs are cranking out some serious power when bombed. The Allison will hold up great to an unmodded Dmax, but will also have to be built when you start adding power :cool:

I have a 2004 dodge 3500 srw crew cab 5.9 cummins auto tranny and have not had any trouble with it yet 275000 km on it.Pulls my 28 foot fifth wheel like it's not even there even through the moutains of the west coast.It also hauls my six tone dump trailer with 4 face cord of wood delivers around 300-400 face cords a year and never has any trouble.I know the old Dodge auto tranny's were bad but i think the newer ones are alright my buddy has 656000 km on his 2001 and hasn't had any trouble.If you are going to buy a new diesel and work it buy a Dodge or ford i don't think the Gm's like the working thing to much.

I have a 98.5 Dodge, first 24V.
The 98.5 to 03 have some issues
Bad lift pumps
Bad Injection pumps
Bad #53 blocks prone to cracking.
Some front end 'Death Wobble' issues
03 and up is good
98 12valve quad cab 5 speed sport is the holy grail of dodge diesels!!
Mine has big injectors, chip ,and trans mods and torque convertor, about 340hp 650 torque 19mpg in town 24 hwy.
I haven't had any of ther above problems 'YET' 167,000km's
They all have their own problems IMO
Beats a gas pot hands down.
Also have a 01 VW TDi and a 84 TD

I have a 2004 dodge 3500 srw crew cab 5.9 cummins auto tranny and have not had any trouble with it yet 275000 km on it.Pulls my 28 foot fifth wheel like it's not even there even through the moutains of the west coast.It also hauls my six tone dump trailer with 4 face cord of wood delivers around 300-400 face cords a year and never has any trouble.I know the old Dodge auto tranny's were bad but i think the newer ones are alright my buddy has 656000 km on his 2001 and hasn't had any trouble.If you are going to buy a new diesel and work it buy a Dodge or ford i don't think the Gm's like the working thing to much.

Yes, the 3rd gen auto is holding up a LOT better than the 2nd gens. They still aren't perfect, but certainly far better! Are either of the trucks you spoke of bombed? Seems like that is what really gets to the trannys fast is adding plug in modules/injectors/etc...

And some people never have problems with them. Either way, there's a reason most people doing heavy towing or building NHRDA trucks use Dodges :cheers:

So, what do you guys think about brands?;) :laugh:

I've heard something similar locally, Dodge if you want a manual transmission, GM with Allison if you want an auto, stay away from Ford unless you want an older truck.

Pretty much right on in my experience. Dodge autotrannys have had some problems as well as fuel system on 24 valve. There is an idiot light kit that will tell you when the transfer pump quits and save ya money in the long run. I also don't like their front ends. The one sway link always wears like fast and gets loose. Then the truck wanders all over.

Ford 7.3' are good. I would avoid the 6.0's

Chevys I can't say much bad about. Very few problems with the ones I have dealt with.

Just my $.02

I'm the exception to the rule about going to a diesel and then back to a gasser. I've had 4 diesels, and then with my last 2 vehicles they have been gassers. One of them a Chevrolet 8.1 liter and it tows every bit as well as my best diesel did, maybe even a little faster. It does, however get half the gas milage doing it, but I'm OK with that because its not all that often when I tow anything heavy. This spring I'm planning on buying another one ton truck and I've just about set my mind on the Ford V10 gasser, but only because GM is not offering the 8.1 liter anymore. Diesels cost a lot more up front, they cost more to maintain, and with the recent EPA regulations and complications put on the engines they are not any more reliable then anything else. In fact, with my last diesel it was the most unreliable vehicle I've ever had. I don't see it being worth it to own a diesel unless you are towing with it, and I mean towing a lot. Or unless you just want a diesel for the coolness factor and how easy they are to get power out of by chipping them up. Me, personally, I prefer the powerband and wide RPM range the gas engine offers. Thats the biggest reason I went back to gas over the diesel.

I can't disagree with anything you said, MikE2. Diesels cost way too much new and cost more to maintain. My 7.3L Powerstroke gets 18mpg, my neighbors '06 6L gets 16mpg, my cousins brand new 08 6.4L gets 14mpg and I hear Dodge and Chevys new low emissions 2008 engines are getting similar. With diesel costing $3.70/gal and gas costing $3.14/gal the MPG argument isn't as strong as it used to be. I love my diesel and would hate to go back to a gasser but I also can't argue with anything you said.

For a personal truck, not for commercial use, let someone else take the depreciation hit the first three years. Used trucks take a big hit in the retail price when they cross 100k miles and a diesel that is taken care of is just getting broken in. You have to do your homework to make sure you are getting a good one because you will be flying without a warranty but you can save big $$$. Just a thought.
Dok

The 2008 diesel's need low sulfur (15 ppm) fuel and SM/CJ (Low Emission) motor oil. The new oil has the anti wear additives removed form the oil to extend cat life. You must run the new oil and low sulfur fuel in the 2008 diesels.

Frank, I believe you mean the 2008 diesels need ULTRA LOW sulfer (15 ppm).
What is refered to as LOW sulfer is still 500 ppm. At least around here.

I have a 2008 Kenworth 900L with a Cummins motor in it, 65,000 miles on it.
All I can say is this Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel (15 ppm) is crap. I refer to it as ULTRA SLOW. Now with it being colder out I also have to change fuel filters more often. I don't really blame the engine manufactures for all these problems they are having. I would point towards this new fuel. It is unreal how hot these things can get in the summer. Sure is fun pulling up to a stop sign and you can't see because of the PDF filter smoke rolling out the stacks.

I can't believe our tax dollars (millions) go to people to make these decisions.

Fuel mileage is a whopping 4.8. Same horsepower truck 10 years ago would get around 6.4. :dizzy:

Mine is a 96 club 4x4 with the 12 valve, imho the best engine for me. I have lots of "jewelry" under the hood. Great milage, Im not going to win any races, but the old rip never says die when she is a pulling.

My work truck is a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi, great truck and quite fast, lots of grunt and 345 hp, but the 6.8 mph we get running around the mine would put me off this vehicle as an owned drive unless it had a diesel, about 40% better milieage from those that own them.

My new work truck is a 2007 2500 with the hemi..4x4 with 4.10's It has a utility body and holds lots of tools. It weighs 8K fully loaded with a #2 diesel tank. Highway MPG is about 10 at best. Significantly less in stop and go. Pulling our 8K generators it got 4.4 mpg coming staight across new york into ohio on I-90 (totally flat). It would not hold 65 mph in drive (tow haul on, and tried with OD off). It would slow down, down shift to 2nd and scream at 5500-6000 and never shift out of 2nd with the cruise on. same deal with the cruise off.

I absolutely hate this truck, the horrible powerband, and the milelage. Not too mention 3 blown speakers at 4K miles, and the squeaks and rattles. There seems to be a new one every day. can't wait to run this one into the ground, or hit 100K miles, which ever comes first. I'm figuring the tranny will bite the dust by 60K.

It has no bottom end what-so-ever. It runs great from 70-100 mph, but everything inbetween it is a turd.

My old work turck was a 2005 2500HD chevy with the 6.0L. 4x4 utility bed, same setup with 4.10's, but wieghed 8200 fully loaded (tools, fuel tank, etc.)

Truck got 14 mpg on the highway (75-80 mph), 9-10 pulling 8K trailers and had a ton of power. It had all the bottom end you needed to properly overload the truck. It seemed to get the same milelage whether you were beating the snot out of it, or taking it easy.

I would buy the chevy in a heartbeat (lol, I'm a ford guy, lol). I would never buy the hemi 2500 if my life depended on it. It makes a ton of power at high RPM and would be a great hot rod engine in a light car, or 2wd half ton, but not for something that actually has to haul or tow anything because of it's major lack in bottom end torque.

Last edited:
I would never buy the hemi 2500 if my life depended on it. It makes a ton of power and would be a great hot rod engine in a light car, or 2wd half ton, but not for something that actually has to haul or tow anything.

I agree fully!

If it's a Dodge 2500 or 3500, it better be a Cummins. Buying that truck without a diesel might just be the definition of crazy... :D:D:D

And yes, I owned a '96 3500 with a V10 :laugh:

Sounds like your Heim is seriously undergeared for the ammount of work you're asking of it. Going from 3.54's (or whatever it is) to something like 4.56's is a night and day difference and can really change your whole opinion on the truck.

Sounds like your Heim is seriously undergeared for the ammount of work you're asking of it. Going from 3.54's (or whatever it is) to something like 4.56's is a night and day difference and can really change your whole opinion on the truck.

It has 4.10's, although the final drive ratio with the 6 speed auto is probably .0000000003 : 1, lol. The corporate lease plan isn't going to pay to put 5.13's in it, that is about what it needs to be worth a crap.

The thing was a turd, with just the empty utility bed (no tools, no weight in it other the the 1000lbs or so of the aftermarket bed on it. it is the exact same setup as my chevy, same gears, just the hemi instead of the 6.0L. The Hemi will not hold 80 MPH on the freeway in OD if you meet a small incline or hill. I'm not talking a mountain, just a small incline. If you don't put your foot to the floor, it just drops speed, until it gets to 65 or so, then down shifts. If you try to ease into the gas to maintain speed, it drops from OD to 2nd.

Like I said, it would be a great motor in a 1/2 ton, or a car (magnum, charger hot rod, etc). It just doesn't produce the torque down low that is should.

The engine cylinder cutout thing is about a joke to. I think it make the milelage worse, rather than better. (drops out 4 cyls at cruising speed in normal mode, not in tow haul mode, or od off). It get better milegae with OD off. seriously.

Last edited:
The thing was a turd, with just the empty utility bed (no tools, no weight in it other the the 1000lbs or so of the aftermarket bed on it...... The Hemi will not hold 80 MPH on the freeway in OD if you meet a small incline or hill...... It get better milegae with OD off. seriously.

All a dead indication of axle gearing too high for the job you're trying to do. You'd have a whole new truck if they did put those 5.13's in it.

Back