Differences between Echo CS-590 and CS-600P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I called the Echo help line to see if they could answer a question for me regarding the differences between the Echo CS-590 Timber wolf and the CS-600P chainsaws, which seem to be sporting the same displacement engines – 59.8cc. The young lady that helped me, needed to consult with other individuals quite frequently, so I got the feeling she did not have a complete command of the subject. The CS-590 has a cheaper plastic handle, and a cheaper laminate bar that is devoid of a replaceable nose sprocket. My guess is that this move creating an essentially cheapened CS-600p, was to compete with the Husqvarna 460 price wise. As everyone knows, Echo does not publish horsepower. Does anyone know for sure if the engines are the same, or if one has been de-tuned a little. I am looking for someone with personal experience, or knowledge of differences in the actual engine parts. I know that the CS-590 is usually only offered with 18 and 20” bars. That may not necessarily mean it couldn’t pull a longer bar like the CS-600P, but rather that there are no cheaper laminate bars made in the longer lengths. Does anyone have any links showing the two saws competing side by side?

The CS-590 is the first generation 600P but with a laminated bar and spur sprocket. The newer 2nd generation 600P's have the aluminum handle and a 10% bump in power. The new 620P's have roughly 13% more power than the current 600's and also get double dawgs and the option of a full-wrap handle. The power increases come from porting differences. The wrap handle will fit all three models.

The CS-590 is the first generation 600P but with a laminated bar and spur sprocket. The newer 2nd generation 600P's have the aluminum handle and a 10% bump in power. The new 620P's have roughly 13% more power than the current 600's and also get double dawgs and the option of a full-wrap handle. The power increases come from porting differences. The wrap handle will fit all three models.

I wish to extend a big thank you to RMH3481 and VI Saw Guy for their very educational responses. That new 620P sounds like a winner. I can't wait to read the first reviews on the CS-620P from someone on this website. Echo saws are not necessarily the most powerful saws that I own in any particular power class, but I just love em! Maybe it is because they start easy, and are very reliable, with almost no headaches. Up to this point, in the Echo line up alone, I own a CS-310, quite a few CS-400s, several CS-500P, and a CS-600P. In the Husky line up, I have a 435, several 350's, and a 372xp. In the Stihl line up, I have a MS-362 and a MS-192 top saw. I also have a Solo 643IP that I am just braking in. I don't know how much longer I will be able to cut wood, but if I had to pick just two saws, it would be the CS-400 and the CS-600P. Yeah they are modified. I just plain love their easy nature. Unfortunately, now I have to investigate the CS-620 when one becomes available.

I don't know how much longer I will be able to cut wood, but if I had to pick just two saws, it would be the CS-400 and the CS-600P. Yeah they are modified. I just plain love their easy nature. Unfortunately, now I have to investigate the CS-620 when one becomes available.

I was going to like your post but it is gone. I don't have a 600 but do have a 400. It is my favorite firewood saw. It's a very nice saw.

I was going to like your post but it is gone. I don't have a 600 but do have a 400. It is my favorite firewood saw. It's a very nice saw.

I know what you mean. People that have never tried one for a while are really missing out. I think you have to use a saw like this every day to fully begin to appreciate the reliability and ease of starting. I have three CS-400s. One has the MM, one is being broken in right now, and one is a new spare, just in case Echo changes the design or new EPA mods occur. I have yet to purchase an Echo saw that needed warranty - on anything! Maybe I am just lucky, but I don't think so.

Back