dirt on the logs.don't want to dull the chain .. whats the best way to handle this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my wood came in 4' lenghts. i got the skid steer with the forks to move it and the logs age caked with dirt. i have to cut them in half.. i am sure one pass with the saw the blade will be shot! whats the best way to handle this?
ant

Crap!

That's gonna be more work. Pressure washer and restacking into ready to cut piles, or just get busy with a brush before each cut and get used to wearing out files.

If it was me, I'd cut 'em as is, and knock the dirt off as I went.
The idea of washing logs is just wrong and ain't natural. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

wood dirt

my wood came in 4' lenghts. i got the skid steer with the forks to move it and the logs age caked with dirt. i have to cut them in half.. i am sure one pass with the saw the blade will be shot! whats the best way to handle this?
ant

Forget about carbide chains first, plan on washing the logs
with a garden hose or a pressure washer as the dirt will
ruin the chains as it is not gone even if you wire brush it.

The only other solution is a saws all with a long long long nail blade.

Washing the pulp sized bolts is the fastest way to do this and the least time
consuming.

if it were me it would have to depend on how much wood were talking about, a truckload? a dump truck full? a whole heapin semi? and how much time you have on your hands. i for one value my time because i dont have much of it so i would try the air compresser method, blow off where your gonna cut as you go and get the majority off then give r heck. if thats not an option or all else fails, like previously mentioned... borrow your brother in laws saw or maybe go to the rental store, their use to weekend warrior morons burring the bar in dirt, they prob would appreaciate that at some point you actually did cut wood with it.

semi chisel chains ... cut just before dark [so you can enjoy the spark fest ]once its too dark to cut safely ,resharpen chains . they wont dull as fast as you would think jk

Is the dirt all the way around the logs?
Might be my imagination, but when dealing with one side that is dirty, I try to cut up from the clean side. My theory is that the bark will fling the dirt off before the chain actually gets to it.

It's just a theory though :D

I second the let mother nature do the job. Here in Michigan we are about to have our second rainy season. second thing is to delete that wood seller from my buy from list.

:D Al

Is the dirt all the way around the logs?
Might be my imagination, but when dealing with one side that is dirty, I try to cut up from the clean side. My theory is that the bark will fling the dirt off before the chain actually gets to it.

It's just a theory though :D

It is a proven theory for me. I do it all the time. CJ

Crap!

That's gonna be more work. Pressure washer and restacking into ready to cut piles, or just get busy with a brush before each cut and get used to wearing out files.

If it was me, I'd cut 'em as is, and knock the dirt off as I went.
The idea of washing logs is just wrong and ain't natural. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep. Unless the logs have been drug, there isn't going to be enough dirt on them to bother with. Any cleaning prior to cutting is going to take a log more time than an extra sharpening or two.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back