Dirtyhandtools 25t splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Reb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wanted to ask if anyone here that might have the Dirty hand tools 25ton splitter could give me any service/maint recommendations from your experience. This was purchased at Lowe's and has been working great with no issues but is my first splitter so just learning them. Thanks alot.

A splitter is a pretty low maintenance item. At a bare minimum if you just don’t let it run out of engine oil it should give many years of service. You basically have a lawnmower engine. Hydraulic systems shouldn’t really consume oil unless you have a leak. An occasional check isn’t a bad idea.

If you are keen on doing maintenance then engine oil changes at 25hrs, regular air filter inspections and replacement as necessary, and hydraulic oil/filter at 250-300 hrs would be a good schedule.

While I don’t have a DHT, splitter maintenance should be about the same regardless. I agree with the above posters, and I will add keeping the beam clean and sprayed with wd40 when not in use. A little surface rust won’t kill it but I like to keep on top of it.

I have quite a bit of equipment that doesn't get a lot of use anymore. The first nice day in spring I change the oil in everything from the Massey 135 down to the TSC splitter. I only split 10-15 cord a year and I figure an oil change once a year is enough, I check the level every time I start it, only takes 5 seconds. The oil always looks new when I drain it, Joe.

Thanks for the replies everyone,I appreciate them. So far due to the cold weather(I'm a wimp) I have only used it this winter for around 3 cords but pretty soon I'll be running it most likely every other weekend till next winter. I bought 20 acres up here that wasn't kept up by the previous owners so between all the dead trees and the ones I'm cutting for shooting lanes I'll be giving her a workout. It's mostly beech and ash and the trees are thick so there is a ton of them. Thanks again for the tips.

I have quite a bit of equipment that doesn't get a lot of use anymore. The first nice day in spring I change the oil in everything from the Massey 135 down to the TSC splitter. I only split 10-15 cord a year and I figure an oil change once a year is enough, I check the level every time I start it, only takes 5 seconds. The oil always looks new when I drain it, Joe.
You're doing good except for not changing oil in the fall before laying equipment up for the winter or laying up winter use equipment for the summer.I'm nervous about leaving an engine sit for several months with oil that has a bunch of hours of use on it.

I have a 22t splitter that is kept under roof year around. Bought it new 18yrs ago.

I've done nothing to it other than change oil and clean air filter once per year.
Starts on 3rd pull every time.

I will say since going to an outdoor boiler 5 yrs ago, it may only see 5-6 hrs of use per year.....i burn much bigger stuff now.

GVS, we usually do our oil changes in the spring around here. The thinking is that the constant freeze thaw cycle of equipment sitting outside in the elements causes moisture in the oil so changing it in the spring has fresh water free oil in the use season.

That's a good point,coming from FL I hadent thought about the freezing and thawing issue. I'll plan to do my oil once it's done freezing for the year. Thanks for the post.

Yes, that is a very good point and precisely why i change all my outside equipment oil in spring.

Yes, that is a very good point and precisely why i change all my outside equipment oil in spring.
Changing oil in the spring on equipment you used all winter is the thing to do.Get the oil out that has gone slightly acidic.For the stuff you use all summer and in to the fall,fresh oil before layup.Get the contaminated oil out of the engine.The small amount of condensate will "cook out" within 15 min. after start up for the new season.

Back